This is Stavanger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Stavanger

Hahaha...., Ralf...., Rob...., what can I say other than things went in supersonic speed yesterday and early this morning.
    It all started Sunday, on the airport bus from the hotel out to Stavanger airport.
    Then I saw that Rob asked me a question on FB which I tried to answer. When I came home, looking into FB, I saw that my post didn't get through.
    Then I tried to put all my Stavanger pictures up on FB in its own album, with comments, but FB failing to store two images, the system gave no alternative but to delete all uploaded pictures (that I don't understand).
    I tried a couple of more times, but got the same problem. I gave up and went to bed.
    This morning I saw Ralf had commented my pictures after posting them here at CVF, and my head automatically locked on 'Ralf'.
    A brain is a strange thing....
    I know it was Rob who asked me, and I'm thankful for passing on my answer to him
    On top of it all I misplaced and left my wallet at the grosery store yesterday evening, so something must've stressed me up
    (The store manager called me, and my wallet is safe with me again).

Nice to see that you liked my Stavanger report then, thanks! And it's great to know that someone actually plan to go there on the basis of my images. That's one of my main goals...., trying to describe a place in the best way I can...
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

The moral of the story??: Don't use FB, use CVF. We are friendly and do not try to earn billions from advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        The moral of the story??: Don't use FB, use CVF. We are friendly and do not try to earn billions from advertising.
        I agree.

I've said it many times that I will not be a great user of FB, if at all.

But what happened...? I get more komments, contacts, and traffic in my comment fields and albums when posting pictures in there.
        I'm so happy you handful in here are making comments still, because if you haven't, CVF would've been a very silent place.

Not long ago, we could have discussions here, we could sit down over a cup of coffee and "talk" to each other about anything, about a picture, a special place, a ship or whatever...., whereas now, I'm often logging in just to discover 'Sterkoder' is the only member in here.
        And that goes for any time of the day/evening.

Then we have points in time where we could be 8-10 members in here, bowsing around. It's like CVF is breathing fresh air again and all is back to the happy days of the old times.
        The thing is (yes, perhaps for me only) those points in time are fewer and fewer...

Before I only, and I mean only, used CVF. Now I use FB and CVF, don't know which one I use most.

But hey...., I'll just stop writing now, before I fall off the cliff of negativity. Sorry!
        Last edited by Sterkoder; October 30th, 2012, 17:27.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me about my question Svein, Ralf and Lady C!

This is great news that I can rent a cabin like a hotel room- very neat. I know it has to be at specific times,as I saw her for the Oil Convention back in September no one was allowed on the vessel unless you were working onboard.

So my specific question is 1. what time of the year can I book my room for staying onboard, 2.can I sail with the charter as a passenger or am I only allowed to rent while the ship is dockside? 3. am I free to roam the entire ship, forecastle, engine room, bridge? 4. Are meals served onboard?

Comment

1. what time of the year can I book my room for staying onboard
            My suggestion is that you contact the group of people operating the ship on mail adress post@mssandnes.no

It seems like it could be a year around possibility.

2.can I sail with the charter as a passenger or am I only allowed to rent while the ship is dockside?
            They have different types of sailings.
            a) Evening roundtrips in Ryfylke with dinner (3-course), dance with live music and guided tours around the ship from engine room to bridge

b) Wedding and annivercary sailing. They even do the actual wedding on board

c) Theme sailing, company tours with conferences or courses

d) Cruise and other charter sailings

e) Harbour arrangements where one can rent the ship when moored

Now you can attend a traditional norwegian 'julebord' (christmas party) on board and they have accomodation for 150 if you want to rent a cabin to sleep over to the next day
            Link: http://www.mssandnes.no/julebord-lut...en-i-stavanger

When you rent a cabin on board when moored, as a hotel room, they also serve breakfast.
            A double cabin with breakfast (winter and summer) is NOK 1050,-.

3. am I free to roam the entire ship, forecastle, engine room, bridge? 4. Are meals served onboard?
            As far as I understand their webpages: yes and yes.

But in general, I would guess a question to post@mssandnes.no would give the best (and correct) answers.

Comment

Inspiring and beautiful photos from Stavanger, Svein

Old "Sandnes" is a fantastic ship with classic lines, old "Rogaland" is appealing to the eye, while the ferry "Stavanger" is one of the ugliest one can look at .......

Otherwise lovely photos of the old wooden building style and not least great photos of the church.

Thank you for sharing this great pictures with all of us.

Comment

Now that the thread Thijs and I have been doing together is ending I can begin to catch up on other people's trips, starting with this one. Believe me, Svein, it is not for lack of interest that I've not commented before, though I kept having a quick peak, as with your London visit. But with all that has been happening since I returned from the Netherlands plus projects I am supposed to have on the go (nothing to do with CVF) and that people keep asking me about, well, the year has disappeared. I'm just feeling guilty all round!!

But - Stavanger. I have never been there but am captivated by what you show of it in your photos. Your splendid start in #1 beckoned me on, particularly the views in the first and fourth photos, followed by the great composition in the fifth. Lovely pictures. That one of Vågen in #2.2 amused me, as do many Norwegian quayside photos and indeed my own memories of my Kong Olav journey. You know, the ships are just down the road from the houses and shops, no great barriers or Keep Out signs. Lovely!
                The photos of the Domkirke showed the beauty of the building, #8.1 has such a lovely composition and #8.5 highlights some of the detail. Details of carvings on buildings, whether stone or wood, always draw my eyes.
                By the way, did you ever find out about that sculpture you showed at #10.1? I keep studying it, it is such a strong design and surely portrays flight of some kind but I just cannot work out what! Maybe it is an abstract - just the concept of flight. Two pics. on from that is the Alexander Keilland statue and looking at the one following I realise what a good position you chose to show the statue to best advantage.
                And finally, the information about the Sandnes is very tempting. What more attractive way of visiting a city than staying on board a lovely old ship while you're there!
                Thank you, Svein, for this delightful portrayal of a city.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

A couple of years since anything posted in this one, so I thought I'd put a few from our trip in. Interesting that Svein's trip in October 2012 and ours tended to pick up the same details - some of our photos are really similar to each other - although at a very different season.

So firstly, just to prove we found the right place!

We stayed at the Clarion Collection on the harbour front. Funny little hotel, but warm and cosy, and we were lucky enough to have a room at the front. That meant that when the cruise ships arrived it got very, very dark.

I think I posted this one on the Cruise Ships thread, but it does rather show how big the ships are compared to the hotel!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

One thing that was going on that wasn't happening during Svein's visit was the international Beach Volleyball competition! There were volleyball courts (or whatever the correct noun is) all over the place and lots of tanned, fit young people hitting a big ball over a bigger net.

Let's have a little toddle around. Just down from the hotel were the brightly coloured shops and houses that the Vågen is known for. Apparently there's been some form of football competition on - so there were plenty of posters about that.

This chap outside one of the shops seemed as interested in the football as we were.

Here's the flying fish that Svein found a couple of years ago - still looking rather impressive.

And we had a couple of really, really good lunches in the place with the nice sign!!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Still in the main bit of town there were many interesting shops and buildings.

To us Brits, we never quite get the hang of the big doors, big gates and tunnels disappearing into mountains or underneath buildings - our government pretty much just expected that if the end of the world was imminent we'd fry - anyway the car, Unni II, spent a couple of days in the shelter accessed through this dingy hole. (That cost me £30 - ouch!!)

And just in case we've strayed too far from the sea, here's the Tau ferry disappearing under the bridge.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Svein's photos also took us to Øvre Holmegate - the brightly coloured, slightly bohemian area - all rather nice. The flowers were in full bloom during our visit, and the cafe culture was in full swing.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Then finally just a few views from across the harbour in Gamle Stavanger. This area was absolutely stunning - there are dozens of photos from there, it just had a wonderful mixture of the preserved houses and 'real life', cycles leaning against lampposts, the washing out, just day to day things - all with very, very big ships at the end of the street.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Oh I see you've been around Mark. Wow...., I like your photos very much, as they take me back to what was a too short stay in Stavanger at the time of my photos.
                            Two thing from your pictures I don't like to have missed is the maritime museum and tegnestuen of Hilde Thomson.
                            Thanks for sharing Mark! :-)

Comment

• PoloUK
                              PoloUK commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks Svein. It just made me giggle to look at your photos before I posted and realise how many of the same places we'd visited. I look forward to another trip to Stavanger - it was a seriously pleasant place, with the added benefit of the beautiful ships - and the cruise boats!!

Beautiful report. Thank you for sharing the pictures. I like the cruise-ship-hotel-size-comparison: Again an example, how "funny" it is when such crowds are flooding a tiny town...
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• PoloUK
                              PoloUK commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks Ralf. It is indeed great fun to watch the cruise ships arrive - and then leave - and the various bits of 'showbiz' smoke and mirrors get rolled out and rolled away again!

If you are craving Pinay food, go to Stavanger: https://myfoodbeginnings.wordpress.c...re-phenomenon/

Comment

Working...
                            X