Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic This is Svolvær/ Lofoten

This is Svolvær/ Lofoten

Back from our holidays in Norway in March 2011 are here the first impressions of our stay in Svolvær:

Doris

• pakarang
    replied
    Re: This is Svolvær/ Lofoten

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    I guess that's because the golden star was a symbol of TFDS, and TFDS is no more...., at least not in conection with hurtigruten.

That said, when I drew the curtains aside this Friday morning, I spotted "Lofotfjord" charter vessel backing out for yet another trip

The one who want to follow my tracks around Lofoten/Vesterålen, has to click into the Hurtigrute Museum thread.
    Beautiful boat... I almost went on a trip with "her" some years ago... but time wasn't on my side.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    Saturday was time to leave Svolvær for now. It has been a long drive, but I can't say I'll never do it again. That's mainly due to the nature being breathtaking.
    (We are now in a hut at a camping near Fauske, and as we left Svolvær, we drove via Narvik. Anyone not seen it before, I highly recommend the mountains and nature scenery between Narvik and Skaberget. Wow! )

These are the last images from our hotel room nr. 421 at Thon Svolvær, and I had to use my fish eye today, as a polish sailboat had come to dock directly beneath ourb windows)
    This is my all thumbs up favorite spectacular image... imagine having to wake up to that view every single morning!

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Saturday was time to leave Svolvær for now. It has been a long drive, but I can't say I'll never do it again. That's mainly due to the nature being breathtaking.
    (We are now in a hut at a camping near Fauske, and as we left Svolvær, we drove via Narvik. Anyone not seen it before, I highly recommend the mountains and nature scenery between Narvik and Skaberget. Wow! )

These are the last images from our hotel room nr. 421 at Thon Svolvær, and I had to use my fish eye today, as a polish sailboat had come to dock directly beneath ourb windows)

Ordinary lense again, and we say goodbye Bacalao and goodbye Svolvær!!

(Vågakallen mountain is so impressive! )

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
    A nerd observation: The Trollfjord bow star is painted red again?!?
    I guess that's because the golden star was a symbol of TFDS, and TFDS is no more...., at least not in conection with hurtigruten.

That said, when I drew the curtains aside this Friday morning, I spotted "Lofotfjord" charter vessel backing out for yet another trip

The one who want to follow my tracks around Lofoten/Vesterålen, has to click into the Hurtigrute Museum thread.

Leave a comment:

• Tommi
    replied

A nerd observation: The Trollfjord bow star is painted red again?!?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Great to see you and your family have come to Svolvær.
    Very nice and good pictures Svein.

Exciting to be part of your vacation via your photos in different places.
    Hope you and your family are lucky with the weather during your stay.
    Waiting for more pictures to see.

A picture via webcam at Moskenes shows the ferry at the pier a few minutes after arrival.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied

Amazing. A walk through a weel known place but i am discovering such a lot of details i did not see before. I did not walk to the outer end of the harbour, not sure if there is enough time to do it while the HRG ship is stopping at Svolvaer...

And look at these old tyres in #35/5!! So accurate. And you can see even fitting sets. Mostly two or even four tyres of the same type are stored together.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

I’ve got a big smile on my face!…it was a pretty safe bet that Sterkoder’s radar would beam in on an establishment called “Bacalao”!!!! A favourite hang out of mine in Svolvaer. (It’s cosy place in the winter too for warming up with a hot chocolate )

So pleased you had a walk round to Fiskarkona. Those “hangs” are racks in English…fish drying racks.
    And you DID get TF with Trollfjord!

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Crowded on the Svolvær goat today. I counted 6....

Svolvær is a beautiful city

And getting "Trollfjord" and "Finnmarken" in the same frame the first evening, is nothing much to
    getting "Trollfjord" in the same frame as "Trollfjord"...

Well, this was our day here in Lofoten. Tomorrow is a new day..., to put it that way, so stay tuned!
    Last edited by Sterkoder; July 20th, 2012, 08:22.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

After visiting Lofotakvariet and walking around in Kabelvåg, we had to rest for a while at the hotel.
    After a couple of hours we walked out from Thon hotel to the Fiskerkona statue at the breakwater via Gunnar Bergs gate. And later we had the best bacalao at the Bacalao Bar & Restaurant.

Gunnar Berg, the Lofoten painter

His and his familys grave

At the end of this road, before the breakwater was these fish hangs (don't know the english word)

Fiskerkona (Fishermans wife), a statue made by Per Ung, unveiled in 1993

Old car tires stored for destruction

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Woke up this Thursday morning to a most beautiful day in Svolvær.
    During the night, or to be quite honest, just before I went to bed yesterday, AUNO arrived and moored just beneath our hotel windows

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Originally posted by The Sea-Otter View Post
    Getting closer and closer to Sea-Otter land Great pictures!
    I havent heard of the HSC "Steigen", SDS had a car ferry way back called "Steigen", but i think it is "Salten" on your picture
    I dont know if you agree, but I would recommend the Thon Hotel in Svolvær for anyone planning to stay there for a few nights.
    Of course, this is SALTEN. There's so many names, Salten, Steigen, Steigtind and what not. Thanks for correcting me...

Yes, Cecilia, there are many things to do when in Svolvær. Since our dog are with us, there will be plenty of time to walk around.

We are only staying until Saturday, and there are plans to visit the Lofotakvariet in Kabelvåg and Hurtigrutemuseet in Stokmarknes, so I belive we need the time.
    If we are to drive to Henningsvær, I belive that must be done the day we're visiting Kabelvåg.
    But we'll see. We're on holiday and anything could happen

Thanks for commenting, Ralf! You're welcome to follow my holiday in the days to come also
    Last edited by Sterkoder; July 20th, 2012, 08:20.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied

#29/2 is another amazing detail. This is a cool cooler! Such fun travelling with you!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Views from the Thon Hotel! (I was there just the one night during my Nordstjernen chasing in March)….and what great views they are! I’m speechless seeing that Goat picture with climbers
    Haha it is always irresistible to take a photo of that other Trollfjord and I must have done so several times myself! I see you have Finnmarken keeping an eye on her.

I’m convinced that rope has been taken over by some troll or other …a good spot –you have such a good eye for noticing such motifs.

Inspiring choice of painting to show us …I love the art galleries in Svolvær.

Ah Svein dear…I’m typing as I’m scrolling…and I’ve just reached a mention of me!…and yes I guessed VERY correct ….AND I get a bonus point for exactly where you’d be staying!!!!!!!

Wonder what you’ll do next! It’s nice to go across the bridge and then walk out past the fish drying racks towards the mole. Or drive to Henningsvær.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X