Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walking Bjerkestrand (Kristiansund/Frei)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Re: Walking Bjerkestrand (Kristiansund/Frei)

I walked out on the dam itself and took a picture vertical down in the water.

Then I got aware of an old rusty wheel out there, a wheel they used to regulate the waterflow down from the dam. Some sort of a gate arrangement

On my way back home, I tried to take a picture of the hangars and tower at Kristiansund airport, and I guess you can barely see them in the rainshower passing
    Last edited by Sterkoder; September 8th, 2011, 07:08.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

My walk around Bjerkestrand is now stretched to cover other areas of the island Frei, the largest island of Kristiansund.
    Today I walked in the direction of a dam called Drabovannet (Drabo dam).
    This is a dam made to feed freshwater to a factory down by the fjord.
    This factory ended its production in the mid-1980s.
    I left my camera at home, but luckily enough I brought my iPhone, so here are some images.

Coming up to the dam, it looks like this

They could really make dams in the older days too..., without huge amount of concrete

On the "inside" of the dam, the motifs started to show themselves...

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Finally, from the top of this not too high hill, we can see the suspention bridge in the KRIFAST-system
    (the system of roads, bridges and tunnel connecting Kristiansund to the mainland. Officially opened in 1992)

Frei church
    Last edited by Sterkoder; September 5th, 2011, 07:22.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Me and my M-77s were out walking again yesterday, not down by the fjord, but up in the lower hills and forest of the island Frei, where I live...

Here's just the first part of the way up.
    Special note to truckdriver Thijs: this is in fact a 10 tons per axle-pressure road (BK10, the highest BK), where huge Volvo F-12, Scania 530H and other brands haul timber
    Being an ex-truckdriver myself, I can hardly belive it, but it's true

This hill and turns have a steepness of 18,6% (18,6 meters elevation for every 100 meters of road). The turns are almost 10 meters wide to make it possible for the truck and trailers to make it.

After the turn I'm standing in when I took the picture above, the road looks like this..., still climbing

A sign hanging on a tree trunk

Old roots along the road

And nuts on a nut tree sprig. This is as you see hazelnuts.
    (A little blury this one, but the branch moved in the calm wind as I was pushing the button)
    Last edited by Sterkoder; September 5th, 2011, 07:19.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

A fantastic collection of photos from your walk,Sterkoder
    Great motifs and compositions
    When I look through your photos, it gives me a great sense of how wonderful it is to go out into the nature, and let the camera speak for saying it in another way.
    There are so many beautiful colors to capture as fall makes its entrance,so it will be exciting times ahead.
    Thanks for a great walking tour, well done

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Thanks!
    It's always nice to get critics, and belive it or not, also the negative kind.
    From another thread here it might seem like I don't like negative critics at all..., but in that case it was rather about the tone, or way of telling me.
    I use negative critics to learn from..., don't we all...?

I was at Viken farm for 3,5 hours that evening, and came home with 140 pictures. You've seen 40 of them here then...

Really look forward to the autumn with the colours out there in nature.
    Wonder how many images that would lead to...?

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied

Wow! Your pictures have such an improving quality. You are learning fast and much.
    Please accept my favourite votes. They are choosen with the eyes of a bloody amateur with no big attitude to improve and learn..

I like 99/1, because i know these views here from the black forest. Such a view always makes me very happy!
    Then we have some Windows-Screen-Pictures like 100/3 and 105/3, very nice.
    The pond in 105/4 has beautiful colours and a surprising view.
    And my secret favourite is 101/2. This footprint, by the way, would have been also perfect as B/W picture. Perfect composition, size, sharpness...

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

I'm at work, so I don't have time for a longer comment (yepp, true).
    So I'll just say thank you so much for inspirational comments from you so far, Cecilia...!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    The seagull-neighbouring rocks are lovely in the soft warm light Sterkoder, and I so like how you have the loose bright rock in the foreground with its bluish shadow, and then the balance of the creamy coloured out of focus rocks in the distance.

Wow 102/1, a semi-abstract study in pale blue. And 102/3 with rocks in alignment (and I can just imagine you looking for stepping stones so as to get in exactly the right position to take it!)

“On the edge” is my favourite snail! For me, had the snail been seen against all-dark background, the precarious feeling of being on the edge wouldn’t have been so well conveyed as it is with those rather unsettling brighter out of focus areas…first I look at the snail, then the brighter area on the right…and then at the area to the left which bends down and emphasised the possibility of falling.

I also liked the blend of sky and water in the last image of #103

Yes, agree the next b&w images are rather too uniform, lacking a really rich black area of contrast. But I like the composition of the second one and wondered if further experimenting with the exposure could have given it that extra something.

YES…there’s my friend the gnome! I remember him!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Oh that shadow on the tree trunk…I really like that image. Not only because of the shadow though –that gives an interesting focus of attention, its shape and particular colour and so on. But I like the way everything else …all the leaves…trunk…patches of light…are evenly distributed throughout the frame. An all-over pattern as you might have in a carpet for example. Yet a composition held together by the shadow leaf. Altogether unusual and lovely.

The colours of the next one are nice, and then in the next again you always know when to give us b&w. (perhaps wherrygirl will confirm the willow…there are so many varieties).
    I love the dandelion, and am I being fanciful when looking at that special, almost pale frosty blue hue of the flower seeds, that this feels like a survivor out of season and somehow gives the image a poignant quality, far from simply a flower photo. It also made me think of spherical shaped lights..lamps.. in a photo I took recently as well as in another of pakarangs…well you know me always seeing connections where you’d least expect…

Oh…only just seen the continuation past #99…back later!

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Here's a 'guy' living in the forest. Don't know what it's called in english, but in norwegian...., this figure-lookalike thing reminds me of a gnom

This is what a tree root-system looks like if the tree falls over, at least this particular tree

It's getting even later, and the light from the setting sun gets more and more beautiful

The final image, a stone coming up from the basin of the gravel road, suitably shaped as a heart..., if you're open minded and close one eye
    Last edited by Sterkoder; August 31st, 2011, 00:18.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Then, a couple of b/w's again. No expert, but doing the best I can at this stage. One thing is for sure, it's always great to go out there and practise 'learning-by-doing'
    (To do my own critics, I belive they could be more black in a way)

Just a photo I took while sitting down only to listen to the sea...

As you can see, the fjord is going high tide again. At least a trained eye living near the sea all its life can see that...

The fields are so beautiful at this time. I can't imagine that they will be covered in snow in a few months

It was time to head home, and here's the pond you saw in the beginning from the opposite side
    Last edited by Sterkoder; August 31st, 2011, 00:16.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

On the edge....

Last ray of sunshine

A very small pond of water makes greenish colour

Close by the shore was rowan berries...., yet again.... (sorry)

And another kind of snail was homeless, so to speak...., not carrying its house

Back to the low tide zone

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

I've always been a fan of high tide, but after I got interested in photography, low tide is the thing

994 meters high Reinsfjell with the communication/tv masts, and the blue floating bridge in the mainland connection to Kristiansund

Back to the rocks and snails...

Pictures talk for themselves. I think I enjoy snails...., photowise...

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

The rocks just past the 'famous' seagull-like white pattern.
    (Sorry, Cecilia..., no images of this one yesterday)

My army M-77 boots is working perfectly in any condition

Looking north-north-east out the Freifjorden towards Tustna

Personally, I think these snails are very nice motifs

Some could even pass as escargots

In fact, these snails are very popular in restaurants...., found right outside our home door

Leave a comment:

Working...
X