Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walking Bjerkestrand (Kristiansund/Frei)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Re: Walking Bjerkestrand (Kristiansund/Frei)

Then it is the stabbur (food storeage house) on that other farm, Vika

On that farm is a beautiful holly..., I guess that's what it's called in English

On that Vika farm, they have a fully operational farm saw

This twig remind me of a woman athlete, stretching up after a jump competition...., but hey, that's me

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

To continue with the beautiful coloured tree(s)...., pictures taken vertical against a bright blue sky gives awesome colours

From the boathouse, the public area used for bathing, relaxation, bar-b-q and what not looks like this

Close to the carpentry it looks like a heavy dense rock type has compressed and pushed down a softer one..., or what do you say Cecilia ?

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

What this is, other than a twig on the shore, I don't know...

A thin layer of ice is about to form

The roing boat is moved a bit due to work on the path down to the boathouse

To tree experts out there: is this a Europalerk (Larix decidua)...?
    Can't think of any other 'needletrees' which turns yellow and drops its needles during autumn here in Norway But WOW, what colours they display!!

Camilla, the family dog also came along. She's 1 year and 7 months old now

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Couldn't walk past this without thinking of Cecilia. Vilde is also in the picture there, my friend...

In October/November the seawater is crystal clear in these parts of the country

Viken farm, the main house, barn, carpenter house and boathouse

Every time I've been down at the farm before, it has been at low tide. Today it was different. Low tide is much more interesting to me as a photographer, but high tide also has its beauty.
    We see Årsund island and Tustna in the distance

Frozen seaweed. For a guy who's been working with this sea plant for 9 years, I might have a different view on the subject than others....

A barely flooded rock on the sandy beach during high tide

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Close to 5 months since my last visit to Viken farm, so in the very nice autumn/winter weather we had here today, it was about time to walk down there again.
    I guess most of my photography now will take place in the week-ends, as its pitch dark outside when I go to work and go home again.

Enough talk, here are the pictures from todays walk down to the farm

Rosehips make nice colours in the sunshine

Some might recognize this old rusti milk canister. The wind has blown the lid off (the strong northerly wind must have blown in the hole in the bottom and forced the lid off, perhaps)

A view towards the Viken farm boathouse, with the mountains at the island Tustna in the distance

A low sun makes beautiful patterns, and light conditions. We can see the 994 meters high Reinsfjell mountain behind the trees

Nature is its own artist. Ice in a small pond

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Thank you for the info on that rock/stone!
    I would rather belive it's from the forming of the rock, as in very old, than honeycomb weathering.
    Haven't seen anything like it in the area.
    As for the reason why we didn't see it, it might well be that we were ready for coffee and ice cream, but also our main focus on that old wooden boat up against that tree across the path.
    Making us move with our back to that stone
    Last edited by Sterkoder; June 11th, 2012, 18:36.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    ....Then, down by the boathouse at Viken, I found this strange stone. It seems like it has fallen off a cliff, but I wonder how it got these beautiful rounded shapes and formations...? Cecilia, any idea...??....
    Those rounded shapes…first glance and I immediately thought “honeycomb weathering” – this kind of thing.
    But maybe there’s more to it than only relatively recent weathering processes. There might also be features originating from the time of the rock’s formation.

I’ve indicated an area of somewhat bulbous masses which might be due to differences in the density of deposited layers of material (for example the weight of rapidly deposited coarser sediment causing it to sink unevenly into a lighter muddier layer).

So it might be interesting but difficult to poke around along the length of the stone looking for other places along its length with any kind of variation in the layers, seen there in side view.
    As well as that green moss, I can see roots that seem to be growing up along the layers in places. If there are variations in the mineral constituents of rock layers and the plants favour one rather than another, that in itself can be a useful observation!

I know why we didn’t see this stone on my visit –it must have been just before there when you mentioned the magic words “ice cream” and “coffee”!!!!!!!

That mill house photo is a delight…
    As are the textures of wood and stone in the last two and the composition of that last image

Leave a comment:

• Tommi
    replied

Great feeling for details as usual. I love the first image with the mosquitos that really gets me into the mood for the rest of the pictures. Great to see all these old houses.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Don't quite know what this small house has been used for, but from the small slot between the rock steps and the wooden house, it seem like it could be a place for storage of food (stabbur)

Nice curve in the bridge basin of the old barn

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Then I came to that farm, called Vika or Vikageillen.

On that farm there was an old mill house. They made their own flour in the old days

An old workshop...., I'm not sure

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

It's time to post again in this thread, and now we are in the green winter here at Bjerkestrand.
    10 degrees of air temperature and cold northerly wind gives no summer, but anyway, here's an image taken at Orsetra yesterday. Small mosquitoes dancing in the evening sun.

A small frog sitting quiet, hoping I didn't spot it...

Today, I walked down to Viken farm and further on to another farm I haven't been visiting earlier. In fact, this is only a kilometer or so away from where I live, and I didn't notice it untill today..., 18 years after moving here.

First a wild flower on the path down to Viken farm

Then, down by the boathouse at Viken, I found this strange stone. It seems like it has fallen off a cliff, but I wonder how it got these beautiful rounded shapes and formations...? Cecilia, any idea...??
    (This stone is 3 meters away from that boat by the tree you photographed when we visited the place when you were here).

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

What a beautiful church that is, Mr. S... and so happy that our server-problems kind of forced you out to get some fresh air...

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Went up to the Rastarkalv battle-area from year 955 near the Frei church to get some pictures of a couple of vessels at the Freifjord 1 Anchorage again today.
    Those will be posted in the proper thread, but here's Rastarkalv and how it looks today

A memorial stone erected in 1955 and unveiled by Kong Haakon VII on the 19th June that year.

Frei church from 1896 just before the snowshower came in

I'm not sure if the main door is from 1896, at least not the handle and lock

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

Two great posts, with great compositions...

I loved the scenery in post 189, but that picture in post 190 is so well composed and so well pictured. Well done S!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    #189/3…The perfect lighting on the standing stones and the distant trees against the sky perfectly caught. I like how the just-out-of-focus foreground grass and pebbles almost seems to suggest a cascade, as if the mound and the monument had just risen up from the earth.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X