No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll store your nice comment, yvneac. Thank you so much! :-)
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

The Christmas ferry is VEØY

The pier and city center, with the sundbåt ANGVIK in front

One of two large Christmas trees in Kristiansund. This one is a gift from the neighbouring community Halsa

City center with VEØY as the central eyecatcher

Harbour authority building with SJOBORG and NORTHERN COMMANDER alongside

A famous cafe in Kristiansund, established in 1952..., the Nordmørskafeen. Here they have local, homemade Norwegian meals at a low or fair price. And a nice view.

Comment

Awesome images Sterkoder - love the new way of decorating the city tree: as if the lights blew into place...

Merry Christmas my friend!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hahaha...., yes, they blew into place, literally.
          The tree looked better before, but then (as I'm sure everyone in thir region remember), hurricane 'Ivar' came, and "he" wanted the tree to look slightly different :-)

Merry Christmas to you too, and may you have peaceful and good days!!!

Comment

Kristiansund harbour looks nice in the low December sunlight from the top of Sørsundet bridge. Looking east.

Looking west, towards Averøy

From the Thon Hotel

Crossing over us today was an Airbus A-380 from the Emirates on its way from Dubai to Toronto. Altitude here is 36.000 feet.

From Vågekaia towards the harbour authorities building

GOD JUL (Merry Christmas) from the sign at Nordlandet.

Comment

You must surely be tired of hearing about it, but nevertheless..., here's Thon Hotel once more, in the background of two offshore vessels

From the roof of Kristiansund Tugboat Service looking east. Their WATERMAN moored.

In this image you can spot the firebrigade watch tower, the Kirkelandet church, the old Allanengen public school and city highest point Varden tower

From Nordlandet towards Sørsundet

Just a few buoys I spotted on my way home...
              Last edited by Sterkoder; December 26th, 2013, 15:19. Reason: Putting the correct picture under the matching text

Comment

December sun - lovely. I think the view of the God Jul sign and the sunlit colours of the hill looks delightful. And that's a rather different view of the Thon Hotel, and with the added bonus of some plane spotting too!

Comment

Hahaha.... I blush :-) Until I reach my pc, please read my comment on the Hordafor III in the ship spotting thread. My head was spinning last night, so this is just one more error I must correct. Will change to the correct picture later, as I now only have a iPhone at my hands :-)
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; December 26th, 2013, 15:15.

Comment

Oh! I see mine must be spinning too, not helped by rare Kristiansund-like sun here in Edinburgh this morning shining onto my computer screen – I really did think the building in the photo with the aircraft trail was the Thon hotel when I wrote that post, hence the unusual view remark!!! Now having fixed the curtain I can recognise the Lorentz Lossius building!
                    Neither, in the other thread, had I recollected that Hordafor is of course the company name.
                    The blushes are all mine my friend, so let me say again these are images that I specially liked and admired VERY MUCH

Comment

These boats probably don't need any introduction here:

A closer look:

This place should also be well know, at least to some:

Not open at our visit yesterday.

Neither were most restaurants. (At least not in the near area of Storkaia)
                      We could not find any serving Bacalao, in the self-declared "Bacalao Capital of the World".

Comment

So, you've been visiting us here in Kristiansund......, without giveing me a hint in advance ;-)
                        Not to be alarmed, I was working all day long yesterday anyway so...., but; it was not so nice to hear you could not find a place that served bacalao.
                        As you say, not in the area near Storkaia, and you might be correct.

Until you visit again, and to others, I mught suggest SMIA Fiskerestaurant and Catering (fish/seafood restaurant) in Vågen (Fosnagata 30), a mere 1 km north of Storkaia. Bryggekanten Brasserie & Bache Bar (restaurant and bar) actually at Storkaia (Storkaia 1), CC (Christiansund Cafe) Quality Grand Hotel 100 meters north of Storkaia (Bernstorffstredet 1), Nordmørskafeen AS (cafe and restaurant) serving traditional Norwegian food (200 meters north from Storkaia), Weyen Kafe AS in AMFI Storkaia shopping Mall (Arnulf verlandsgate 26) serving traditional meals with focus on sea food.

Norsk Skipsfartshistorisk Selskap Nordmøre at Vågekaia 7 is not open other than when they have members meetings, lectures or on Saturdays if someone is present.
                        Other than that they open if contacted and the person have time.
                        The society has many meetings or lectures during a month, so it's only closed mainly during daytime.
                        (I use 'they' and not 'we' as I write this, because I'm out of the society).

The reason why the city use the term 'Bacalao Capital of the World' is that it was in Kristiansund it all started, and we have the national Klippfisk Museum and 'Klippfisk Days'.
                        Other cities has been more lucky and worked harder to keep its klippfisk production up and running, cities that don't had 'oil and gas' destroying the fishery era....

Hope you enjoyed your stay and that you were treated well at Onkel & Vennene Hans coffee bar ;-)

Comment

the ''borgenes'' already completly scrapped now ,i suppose?
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                            the ''borgenes'' already completly scrapped now ,i suppose?

Oh yes, she has been broken up in over a years time now. Honestly can't remember when she left.

Comment

The trip was kind of "spur of the moment" thing, decided late night before. The target was Atlanterhavsvegen and Bud, with the extension to Kristiansund becoming necessary to find something that was open.

When we got there the Bach place was closed, Nordmorskafeen under renovation and no time to go searching around for options.
                              Onkel & Vennene Hans was open and had bacalao on the menu, but none available. How did you know/guess that is where we went anyhow??

The stop in Kristiansund was very short, as we wanted to get back home reasonably early and before the next storm arrived.

Comment

I have not visited Onkel coffee bar very much, but I sat at a window table there just a couple of months ago and took a picture of FRAMNÆS...., so I recognized that angle and view ;-)
                                Other than that I have a special project going on together with the owner, but my moth has to be sealed at this stage....

Comment

Working...
                                X