No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, and I wonder how Händel must have felt writing it? He felt like the Heaven opened up and in contact with God as he wrote Messiah, tears pouring, in 22 days back in 1741. Messiah performed first time in 1742, the very same year Kristiansund became a city by the way ;-)
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
      What to do on a Sunday evening, 1. December...., in cold northwestern winds and hail???
      A Sunday evening,1 December.......,in warm musical atmosphere!

Comment

Indeed – less of this "poor picture" dear Svein. It speaks to me and makes me feel I’m there and can hear the reverberations of that last "Amen".

As well as the choruses, the magnificent alto solos and especially "He was despised and rejected of men" gets to me every time I hear it.

There are performances of Handel’s Messiah in both our main concert venues here in Edinburgh in the coming weeks. One is at the huge Usher Hall on 2nd January – a traditional annual New Year event in its 127th year! It takes place at noon and one can bring a picnic for the extended interval! That at the Queen’s Hall, which was a former church, is more on a baroque scale, arguably more as performed in Handel's day, and I would think more like yours in Kristiansund, Svein. Don’t know if I'll get along this year.
        I used to go to many performances of Messiah when I lived in Cambridge in various of the college chapels. It was often performed around Easter time too, which is actually when Handel held its first performance in Dublin. I love that year connection with Kristiansund, Svein.

I am so impressed Ivy to hear that you have sung in the choir. This is the first we’ve heard of another hidden talent of yours I think.

Comment

Interesting to read all of your posts, thank you!
          (Sorry for describing my photo as 'poor', but you know me. I don't mean to step on someones toes..., only describe how I would want to see my own pictures).

Enough of this silly talk about quality...., (as I realize a good picture has nothing to do with technical quality...) .

Messiah, a great experience, yesterday. And tonight...., I'm sitting here almost crying after a visit to the local cinema to watch one of the most emotional and strongest movies I've seen for a long time: 'Tusen ganger god natt' (Thousand times good night).
          It's a Norwegian movie made by war photographer and director Erik Poppe.

It's impossible to talk about it, you'll just have to find out about the story on internet, I'm sure there must be something out there in English (as it has English and Frensh actors and is filmed in Ireland)

'Tusen ganger god natt'....., I sat in my car after the movie ended for five minutes and cried. Why...? I must have seen Rebeccas dilemma, or at least be able to understand it, and I guess I could see my own daughter in Steph. This is a must see....
          Last edited by Sterkoder; December 3rd, 2013, 08:29.

Comment

We had a beautiful red/orange light here in Kristiansund today. Clouds, snow showers, sunset shineing through clouds made this.
            I was out in other business, but had to pick up my camera to take a few pictures.
            Started up on top of Hauggata and a view towards east. Kvernberget in the background and the old fire-cannon in the foreground. This cannon was not used for battle, but to fire off blanks as a firealarm and gather people to take part in the firefighting.
            Remember, in the days when this cannon was used, Kristiansund had only wooden houses and they were just as close to each other as the houses at Skansen in Bergen.
            Enough talk, heres todays images...

Nordlandet in the background

Markussundet in the center with Nordlandet on the left side, Innlandet on the right. In the far distance is Frei

From the same spot, but now faceing the Nordmørsterminalen, houseing among others the harbour authority

In front of the main entrance to the harbour authorities are old relics from the harbour history: old mooring buoys, and old anchor and the propeller from the now demolished steam trawler BORGENES

Comment

Mysterious light, and it looks to be really cold out there!

Comment

Great photos Svein - really atmospheric. So cold I had to put another sweater on!!
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thank you guys!
                  The temperature was not too low though...., just about -2 degrees C. But there was wind present, strong cold wind.
                  And the light, as I suggested, came from the sun setting behind the clouds..., but then there were openings in the cloud layer which made the orange light from the sunset light up the cloud base above as it did with the snow showers around.
                  We have such orange strong soft light here at least two to three times during the winter. And let me add; this light is difficult to convey via camera (at least I belive so).
                  There are a few more images in the HSC-thread ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                    We have such orange strong soft light here at least two to three times during the winter. And let me add; this light is difficult to convey via camera ....
                    Gives a whole new meaning to that Hurtigruten slogen "Hunting the light" ” doesn't it hehehe!!! Sterkoder sunlight!

Well difficult it may be, but looking in that last image of the colour of the snow and hints of same in the clouds, somehow both blending and contrasting at the same time with their subtle blue-grey tones... and then the snow on the propellor and the flag emphasising the wind direction so that the clouds almost seem to move. Well I think you succeeded!

Comment

Thank you! :-) I tell you, this orange light must be experienced to get the full idea. It's rather strange to stand in the middle of a world turning orange, I mean totally, where ever you turn your eyes. And it only last for a few minutes as that might be the reason why there are not too many pictures. Another reason is that we all just stand up straight and look around, and when we come to think about a camera..., it's all over :-) There are many things that has to work together: winter, clouds, sunset, snow, snow showers and time of day. So that's why we have this light only a few times during a year, I guess.

Comment

• yvneac
                        yvneac commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Few times, maybe, but what a gift!

# 1150/4 is a fine picture for me. Such enviting lights in the buildings offer you a hot tea in a cozy atmosphere, later a hot bath and an evening in front of a wooden fire.... This is a nice winter moment.
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Was waiting for a friend on board hurtigruten FINNMARKEN southbound today, but the ship was late and we only got three minutes on the quay...., 3 small minutes.
                        As I monitored FINNMARKEN on my mobile AIS, I walked around on Innlandet and in the area around Thon Hotel to try out some more night photography.
                        Camera set to aperture priority, anti vibration off, ISO 100, f/8.0 except for a couple of the hurtigrute when passing my camera, when I sat the machinery to Auto (yepp, auto...).

As seen from Thon, we see the Pier and the christmas tree which came as a gift to the city from our neighbours in Halsa

The Hollywood-ish sign says OLJEBYEN (OIL CITY), due to a huge oil- and gas conference held over several days last week

Then we have a offshore vessel from Maersk and Farstad moored at Storkaia next to the Sørsundet inlet

Thon Hotel...., say no more :-)

This hotel has a nice looking lagoon

Comment

The green lagoon at Thons. The little gangway leads over to the hotel car parking

A picture of the hotel area I'm particularly satisfied with

I was very facinated by the reflection of light in the wet street. The old red building to the right is the oldest building in Kristiansund, and the one used as a prison in the old days

Old sundbåt NORDSUND on the slipway by the hotel carpark, is now a museum

I never get tired of the area around this hotel

Comment

NORDSUND and look closely...., the Spottermobile

And finally, 20 minutes late....., there he comes, my friend on board FINNMARKEN

And they came fast :-D

It was time for some 'Auto' operation

Comment

Well, 3 minutes on the quay pass by real quick when one haven't seen each other in real life in three years...., and it was back to the settings and tri-pod.
                              This time from the top of Hauggata with a easterly view of the harbour, towards Nordlandet and the 100 years old Nordlandet church.

Final image of the evening..., Innlandet with the traditional Christmas star up at the salute cannons and Bauta on Innlandet

Comment

Working...
                              X