This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

Really nice results! I like rainy pictures because the water makes the colors in the nature come alive and also gives us some nice reflections, not to forget the feeling of depth.

Just come to think that we don't see so many Hurtigruten pictures here nowadays, but I notice that KH is lacking the logo on starboard side, as Finnmarken did during the winter.

Comment

HSC MØREJARL departing for Trondheim

Pictured from the sundbåt quay at Nordlandet

Good friends...?

Now, anyone remember the comment "Harbour photographer" a few posts back...?
      This summer I've been on a photo assignment for the harbour authorities, to present the harbour and life around it via pictures presented on their new web-page http://www.knhavn.no/bilder

When I came home from work today, a huge and very nice flower waited for me together with a card and a ticket for a soon to come social happening.
      The card expressed gratitude for the work I've done and specially the five hours in heavy rain Monday.
      They also hoped our cooperation will continue.

I must say I was a bit touched and went very thankful...

Well..., this concluded my picture posting from Monday 12. August and the last cruiseship calls of this season to Kristiansund.
      Hope you enjoyed...., also the text, as I try my best to place you in the city with me as I go...., telling what direction we see and so on.
      (You can never get this on FB. Just had to say).
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thanks for commenting Tommi!

but I notice that KH is lacking the logo on starboard side
        Noticed that too. Doesn't it look nice and clean...? I think so

By the way, here's in Instagram of how I looked in the rain. I was so happy (can't be seen) that there were no wind, and that I purchased a waterproof camera and lense last time

He had to go, but before he left home, a friend felt sorry for me being soaked and put out a hot cup of coffee for me. Sadly I had no time to go there, so he sent me this picture (haha)
        Last edited by Sterkoder; August 13th, 2013, 22:27.

Comment

Ah, you spotted my first all of my own car! I am so glad it made it up there and is in so good shape (it wasn't at all when i sold it)!

Since Albatros is the main actor of a German cruise docu-soap, i know that one of her Captains is a Norwegian - and he is pround of that and has a special sense showing it - maybe this is an explanation for the post flag.
          The russian version ---- money does not replace culture, as we can see clearly here.

Stunning pictures. But we have much better weather on the British Islands, pal!
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

he is pround of that and has a special sense showing it - maybe this is an explanation for the post flag.
            Not sure, because BOUDICCA and BLACK WATCH also fly the Norwegian split Postal flag from the same position.
            Only these three ships does, no other.
            The other cruiseships fly an ordinary smaller Norwegian flag from their flag mast when visiting, like any other visiting ship on a foreign registery.

NOTE: ALBATROS is really flying a smaller Norwegian flag from her flag mast. That just makes the split Postal flag from the aft of the bridge wing position all the more strange.
            Last edited by Sterkoder; August 14th, 2013, 07:42.

Comment

Svein, I have so enjoyed looking at these photos, and what a grand finale to the Kristiansund cruise season this has been. You have made so many skillful advantages out of the weather conditions in my opinion.

Thanks for also including that wall by the path to Bauta, that special image of the canon from the pine tree – and the self portrait of the Harbour Photographer. We in the CVF Family are so very proud of you and all you’ve achieved in that role this summer, and always you still make time to show your photos here with a descriptive walk.

Comment

Thank you Cecilia..., thanks!

and always you still make time to show your photos here with a descriptive walk.
                Yes, I like that.
                It's rather easy, I would think, to see and understand where I am when I take a picture and where my motif is related to the rest of the city for someone who has visited Kristiansund for more than just a few hours.

But I would also like to make others "see" Kristiansund, and maybe together with a viewer useing Google Map or something to find a location of a house, the Bauta, the Pier and so on to see the city as clear as possible.
                Or at least understand the geography of the city in a better way than from a tourist booklet or brochure.

Today a colleague and friend invited me for a boat trip in the evening sun, because he heard I was searching a old ship wreck and needed boat access.

This is the boat we used

Took almost 300 pictures during our 2,5 hours tour. I guess there will be more to come, but for now..., I'll just post a few, like this from his wheelhouse watching Nordlandet with the Hollywood-ish letters dead ahead, Kirkelandet to the left and Thon Hotel to the right.
                That means we are in the middle of the Sørsundet inlet

People enjoy themselves in the evening sun over at Thon Hotel

Well, we found the wreck. Not much left.
                I know nothing about this vessel, not how it looked when afloat, not type, not the name..., no nothing.

Measured after the scale of a satelite picture, I belive it was just over 40 meters when operational

The remains of an old quay used by a small passenger boat called STABIL 40-50 years ago. On dry land is a boat type called 'dorry', used by fishermen in handling large fishing nets around large fishing boats
                Last edited by Sterkoder; August 16th, 2013, 00:06.

Comment

Closer look at the 'dorry' and the remaining stones of the quay.
                  This place is cituated in Bolga on the island Frei...., since 2008 the largest island in Kristiansund

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                    ....But I would also like to make others "see" Kristiansund, and maybe together with a viewer useing Google Map or something to find a location of a house, the Bauta, the Pier and so on to see the city as clear as possible.
                    Or at least understand the geography of the city in a better way than from a tourist booklet or brochure....
                    Yes I like that too …those descriptive walks and finding places on maps. Of course I have been so fortunate to be taken on the “Sterkoder trail” of ship spotter places by the man himself! … but I can relate also to that other group of people who had only “seen” Kristiansund through your photos and writings, but might then be inspired to go discover for themselves.
                    So also on that visit of mine there were the other days when I found the way entirely on my own to other places because of things I’d seen in your photos and had eagerly followed up on maps. For example places like Stormvarselet, the path to Bauta, the reservoirs at Vandamman and on beyond those colourful houses on Vuggaveien which had also featured in an old photo of pakarang’s. Ooops …danger of veering OT here to similar Seagull discoveries of places in Trondheim and Thailand!

Well, just look at the Thon Hotel and the blue sky and sunshine (I can see the window of my room!). Just the weather for a boat trip, and as it turned out ideal light for photographing the wreck. Goodness how exciting – now we have a CVF wreck in K’sund as well as Tromsø! Also interesting, and a very nice photo, is the dorry and the remaining stones so nicely fitted together in the old quay.

Comment

Thanks Cecilia!
                      Glad to have been of any help and a source of info nice to know for a visitor.
                      And as for the Thon Hotel..., I belive I have given them so much free PR now, from the scratch building and up until today, it might deserve a free dinner ;-)

There will be more from the boat trip of mine, so stay tuned.
                      (I might be in an area of no internet this week-end, so be patient).

Comment

(I might be in an area of no internet this week-end, so be patient).
                        Have a nice stay on the north pole!

Nice pictures, you don't happen to know where to look for pictures of the "Stabil" when it still ws in shape for a sail?

Comment

I'm in my car with the iPhone, so all I can do is to hive a webadress to a Facebook page. Scroll down for a gray boat ;-)

https://m.facebook.com/groups/419047...user=597334609

(The wreck is not STABIL though).
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; August 17th, 2013, 15:27.

Comment

Juuuuhuuuu...., I've arrived my place for the week-end, and what do you know..., I just found a spot in the upper right corner of a window with a tiny little internet signal :-)

Comment

But I would also like to make others "see" Kristiansund, and maybe together with a viewer useing Google Map or something to find a location of a house, the Bauta, the Pier and so on to see the city as clear as possible.
                              Or at least understand the geography of the city in a better way than from a tourist booklet or brochure.
                              I have not yet travelled your route with Google Earth or map, but will do so, because your directions are so clear, Svein, that it must be easy to follow.
                              Pics. I particularly enjoy are #1044.3, that figurehead, I wondered whether it is one from an actual ship or whether it is a specially made model. Either way, it's very attractive. Then that fish bench. Oh yes, like Mark's wife - I do love it. We'll have one each! Your photo of the path up to the Bauta in #1048.6, well, "just a path" but what composition, it's beautiful. And the gleam of the wet rock wall adds to its beauty, doesn't it! All those in the following post are great pictures, even if you were deluged you hung on to get a good series there.

Juuuuhuuuu...., I've arrived my place for the week-end, and what do you know..., I just found a spot in the upper right corner of a window with a tiny little internet signal :-)
                              Make good use of it, Svein
                              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I'm in my car with the iPhone, so all I can do is to hive a webadress to a Facebook page. Scroll down for a gray boat ;-)

https://m.facebook.com/groups/419047...user=597334609

(The wreck is not STABIL though).
                                i did ,and scared the hell out of me.

(it goes about this one)

best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X