This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

The Norwegian magazine ALLERS, at newsstands weekly, have an article about Kristiansund this week (sadly for foreign readers, only in Norwegian), where the city and surrounding areas are presented.
    Of course there are pictures and text about Atlanterhavsveien, Håholmen and more.
    For food and beverages SMIA Fish restaurant were tested and they visited small shops in the city.

Article:
    http://www.allers.no/artikkel/ut-mot-havet
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Oh, I am so pleased that at least the propeller has been saved. The Borgenes will not be forgotten, after all.
      With all your lovely photos I am beginning to feel I know Kristiansund! Keep them coming, Svein.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Yesterday I left work at around 11:30 AM to see and above all take pictures of the two cruiseships visiting, ALBATROS and CLUB MED 2.
        The weather was the worst since I don't remember when, and luckily I got a weatherproof Pentax.
        While on my photomission, I spent a great deal of time on Innlandet, the smallest of the islands on which Kristiansund is built..., and also the oldest part of the city.

Here's the two ships pictured from that Hollywood-ish letters we have here

Then I drove over to Innlandet, also known as 'Tahiti' for some reason. The larger island (the one with the airport) Nordlandet, is known as 'Marocco'.
        Innlandet house the Thon Hotel, and when building that, they made a lagoon where an old man once had a small boat repairshop and slipway

The center of Innlandet is Dødeladen Cafe and Restaurant down by the sundbåt quay

This is also where the Tahitifestival is once a year, and on the fence there you can spot some decorations made by kids in the area

The words say something like; And when we travel, our thoughs always goes back to Innlandet, our island and our city (words from the Innlandet "national anthem" 'Skjønnest blant de skjønne er Tahiti' (The most beautiful of the beautiful is Tahiti) ).

More to follow, but now I have to do some of the work I ran away from yesterday....

Comment

Across the street from that colorful fence is a small street with small cosy houses

Details from the main door

And on the north wall is a gallion figure mounted

Also near the sundbåt pontoon we have the Tollboden (old Customs house), neighbour to the Dødeladen Cafe

And Barcarole tapas restaurant and Arnulf Øverland Gallery (between Dødeladen and Thon hotel)

Some sort of exhibition there now, not open while I was there though...

Comment

There was a fish...

And some marble sculptures with glas installed

I think the color of the sculpture and ALBATROS fitted ok (and damn those cars)

'Fishy' benches...

Fish eye (glas eye (haha) )

Well, there's me and trees again...

Comment

If I ever come to visit make sure you count the fish benches. My wife will surly try to fit one in her suitcase to bring home.

--
              I think my in-laws cruised on the Club Med 2 sister ship with Windstar.

Comment

Oh, it's quite easy to count the fish benches...., as you only need a couple of fingers

I said that I would present my pictures from Mondays cruiseship calls in a new thread, but to make it easy for myself...., I will fill'em in here, as I've done with cruiseships before.

So, come with me as I move around to different spotterplaces and we begin at the Hollywood-ish letters at Bjørnehaugen (Bear Hill) facing west.
                As the two came a bit early according to previous info, ALBATROS had alreay moored and CLUB MED 2 turned around to dock at the hurtigrute quay

Then I could not resist taking the view we all know so well

It's a beautiful ship..., in it's own special way

Comment

I guess we all agree that ALBATROS looks all right...

From the Hjelkrem quay (Klippfish museum area) in Vågen, CLUB MED 2 looks like this

From the area west of Thon Hotel

CLUB MED 2 with her masts over at the hurtigrute quay and the Harbour authorities

And Thon Hotel itself, or rather..., their eating area (behind the glas wall)

Then I walked the path up to the Bauta, highest point on Innlandet (where the salute cannons are placed)

Comment

The cannons were in use as the ships sailed into our harbour and naturally, the flags were up

When I was up there, the sky opened all its gates and emtied all the rain it had over me and the rest of the city

Had to find cover under some huge pine trees...

....looking out on one of the cannons

But under a pine tree is no place to be for a "harbour photographer" (tell you about it later)

Comment

Walked down from the Bauta to drive over to the quay where ALBATROS was moored..., the Storkaia

A crewmember climbed down on some pre-mounted woodplanks to sit down and do some paintwork...

When hurtigruten KONG HARALD arrived Monday, we had three passenger ships in harbour at the same time. A rare happening in Kristiansund.
                      My position at the time of taking the picture above, suddenly gave the opportunity to also get three sundbåter in the same frame...
                      From left: ANGVIK, FRAMNÆS and the shored NORDSUND over at Thon Hotel

ALBATROS, BOUDICCA and BLACK WATCH often come in with their main mast down (upper part that is), and I don't know why.
                      They all sail in via the Markussundet inlet, where the sky is the limit.
                      Then, a few hour prior to departure, they usually raise the mast.
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; August 14th, 2013, 06:50.

Comment

Painting in progress at the bow

I know so much that foreign registered ships must fly the national flag of the country they visit in the flag mast. (And ALBATROS does just that, I know....)
                        What I don't know (and I seem to remember something about this in the old CVF) is why ALBATROS fly the national flag of the country she presently visit from a pole aft of the bridge wing AND why this is the Norwegian split Postal flag...

Albatros and seagull in the same frame. everything is possible in Kristiansund.

Since we're in the Kristiansund thread, here's a few from the area around the Pier and here is the russian river yacht ELDEN, owned by a russian oligark on vacation

A view from the Pier side of the guest docking area, and we see Bryggekanten Brasserie & Bache Bar (Restaurant and bar)
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; August 14th, 2013, 07:40.

Comment

I'm rather rigid when it comes to the Norwegian flag, and I don't like the one the russian yacht flies in the flag mast.
                          The measurement of a Norwegian flag is 6-1-2-6 by 6-1-2-1-12.
                          1 refer to the width of the white field, 2 the width of the blue and 6 the width of the red (it goes six 1s in a red).
                          The 12 is of course the width of the longest horizontal red. Here, the colours are also wrong...

On the Pier

Nice finnish on the yacht

Nope, I'm not on board, but just had to take this picture.
                          This is what Singaporian photographer Tom Ang mean when he say we sometimes should use something closer to us to frame something far away if the motif is "lifeless"

Stern lines of ELDEN

Turning my head 180 degrees
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; August 14th, 2013, 06:57.

Comment

From the Pier viewing towards building where the harbour authorities (among others) has their facilities

Passengers from ALBATROS comes back from a harbour sightseeing on board FRAMNÆS

Yacht ELDEN and its supplying vessel SEVERNAYA TEN

A stinging jellyfish in the harbour
                            (Note the two craters in the water, as two raindrops just hit the surface. Yes, there are many more hitting the surface, but I'm sure y'all know what I mean)

Crossing the street from the Pier, taking a picture up Kaibakken (Quayside Hill) with the sailing ship STELLAs anchor. City Hall to the right

Then it was time to go to the roof of the parking house at AMFI shopping mall
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; August 14th, 2013, 07:02.

Comment

Let me present Sea-Trolls buddies here too...

After a while, I walked back to my car to drive over to where I started, the Hollywood-ish letters at island Nordlandet.
                              Why the same spot again...?
                              because hurtigruten KONG HARALD arrived 4:15 PM and I wanted the three in one and same frame.
                              The orange building in the back is the parking house, the red to the left is Quality Grand Hotel

And on my way, I found this little fellow (Citroen 2CV)

Comment

Back at Bjørnehaugen, and we see KONG HARALD sailing into the harbour.
                                Sundbåt ANGVIK is arriving Nordlandet from Innlandet

Poor weather, nothing more nothing less...

CLUB MED 2 at the hurtigrute quay

I have mostly sunny images from Kristiansund, so from time to time I welcome these photographic opportunities

ANGVIK on its way from island Gomalandet to the main city island Kirkelandet

Comment

Working...
                                X