This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

Oh my, Sterkoder had enjoyed an amazing ship day in glorious weather early this morning before I had even had breakfast!
    Now such a size cruise ship as Thomson Spirit would have been excitement and enjoyment enough, but what really thrills me is seeing those images that also include sundbåt Framnæs. Another reason to return to Kristiansund at any time and day!

In #1003/2 I’m thinking that it is always exciting to se a ship emerging from around that corner, and just looking at a photo actually makes me feel as if I’ve been there, waiting around for first glimpse…or perhaps not too much waiting in this case as she was earlier than expected.
    You got the exposure just right in the next image Svein; a white ship in the light against that darker mountain could easily have gone wrong.

There’s something so Summer-ish about that blue funnel with its cheerful motif against a blue sky

Now there’s a viewpoint …the wall and gangway to the Brasserie leading into the view of the ship on the corner.

I find the stern of Thomson Spirit makes me think of folding paper into a boat shape, but here I’m more looking at surrounding shapes of houses and buildings and making connections. Then I’m enjoying the colour composition of #1005/3 (including spottermobile!), and I like the window reflections in Nordsund in #1006/5. Yes that tree is rather useful, but I am even more enthusiastic about the bottom foreground tree in the Framnæs picture. Oh another tree –that spruce looks almost amusingly creature-like! I’m back to liking “bottom and side tree framing” again in the views from Bjørnehaugen.

#1008/4 of the two very different ships together is brilliant – I feel a kind of satisfying connection between the square shaped window frames of Framnæs and those (albeit divided into three) on Thomson Spirit, and the overall shape of your image of them.

You’ve every reason to be VERY satisfied with yourself Svein

Comment

Thank you for comments folks! You make me better...

Now, if anyone out there should wonder why this guy from Kristiansund can't post his cruiseship images in cruiseship threads...., I kind of feel the need for a little explanation.

If I had taken four-five images solely of the ship itself, I might as well have posted in the 'correct' thread.
      But as I try to "tell a story" from my home city, from first glimps of ship to firmly moored alongside the quay, I feel like my images suits best in the Kristiansund thread. Hope it's ok.

The one who see me driving around might wonder what maniac is sitting behind the wheel of my car.
      As I drive, I look for new views of ship and scenery, I think of camera positions as I drive, and today I couldn't make up my mind and drove two times around a road sign. Must've looked funny...., or stupid....
      But as you know, a photographer is in a bubble of his/her own and many strange moves can occur either walking or driving.

My point with my photography, in this thread in particular, is to stir around in at least one mind out there in the world, so that the human owning that mind want to come to Kristiansund and be a tourist here.

Oh, well...., happy you liked my pictures.

And Tommi:
      I tend to agree with you when it comes to that stern...., it remind me of any container ship. But over all the ship look so "un"shoebox, that I like it...
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

The Thomson Spirit has a quite interesting history:

Built in France in 1983 as Niuew Amsterdam for Holland America Line (HAL)

She was sold to United States Line in 1999, was re-named "Patriot" and was flying the US flag, although not built in the US, as required by the Jones Act. Used for inter-island cruises in Hawaii from 2000 to 2002, when the Owner went bankrupt.

She was sold back to HAL in 2002 and regained her original name, but not put back in service for HAL.

In 2003 she was Bare Boat chartered to Louis Cruise Lines, Cyprus and re-named Spirit, but didn't actually cruise as such.
        She was sub-chartered to Thomson Cruises in 2003 and re-named Thomson Spirit, which she is still today.

The actual Owners are still HAL, as it has been, except during the short prelude under US flag.

The history behind her time as a US ship is quite interesting and shows a lot about US Maritime policy and innovative ways of subsidizing US Shipbuilding industry: http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ct-america.htm

Comment

Thank you for that info, 'ombugge'!!

Today, 7. June 2013 we celebrate Sørsundet bridge, connecting Kirkelandet and Innlandet.
          7. June 1963 there was a grand opening, celebrated tonight with parties, concerts, people marching over the bridge with flags, banners and what not.

Sørsundet bridge, 50 years!

Last edited by Sterkoder; June 7th, 2013, 18:13.

Comment

You said somewhere further back that you hoped your images would encourage people to visit Kristiansund. For anyone wondering just where to go in Norway then you need have no fear, Svein. A travel brochure need not bother with words, just a few of your photos would do!
            I do love the bridge one in 1042.2. The delicate lines against the sky, flanked by solid masses each side, is very beautiful. The city must be proud of its bridge. Then the last one again shows contrast in its subject matter - the now solid-looking bridge with that sinuous curve, while opposite is the fine (in both senses of the word) tracery of the tree. Interesting image.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Dear Sir S,

You have come really far in your photography! I'm impressed with the clarity and composition in many of your images.

Even though I don't think Thompson Spirit is in the class of "beautiful ships", you have still managed to capture some really pleasing shots of her visit.

And as said further above, your images are way better than those in your local newspaper.
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you, very inspireing!
                I'm pleased with my photography myself right now, but I can always get better.
                I see a remarkable difference in quality from the time I changed from Tamron 18-200 to a original Pentax 18-135. Glad I did!
                But of course, it's I who have to see the motifs, angels and light. That is the hardest work.

Comment

May I kindly borrow your thread, Sterkoder?

Here is his city in all its beauty!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A couple more as I prepared fro the World to arrive:

Comment

WOW!
                      Thank you J-O for showing us those beautiful picture postcards from my home city!!

I always intended for this thread to be something of a tourist brochure with not too much text, so...
                      As you know, a picture say more than a thousand words

Comment

Oh wow indeed, #1019/1 “KRISTIANSUND” close up and personal! …and the image is another splendid skyscape too

Comment

I have to admit, something looks a little off with the images today..... like the focus has shifted a tiny bit.... perhaps Photobucket-issue?

Comment

No idea, Photobucket works perfect for me... I thought you photographed in HDR?

Friday the Harbour Authority put out their second floating quay for their own use. The white house there is the work shop, and the red tug is KAR originally built in 1890.

Comment

After working over three years to combine cruise and opera (as Kristiansund is known as the Opera City), it just became final that SAGA Cruises will include Kristiansund and the Operafestukene (Opera Festival) on a permanent basis

The organization Destination Nordmøre and Cruise Kristiansund had a information week-end in 2010, but not too many representatives from cruise operators visited.
                              SAGA Cruises finally picked up the glove, and out of experience, the organization know that if this is a success, more cruise operators will come forward and make opera cruise packages...

SAGAs cruise package is called "Nordic Notes", and can be found in this link:
                              http://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/oc...dic-notes.aspx

SAGA Cruises are known to be innovative and think alternative in their way of doing things (or so they say those three ladies in the picture below), and SAGA SAPPHIRE arrive Kristiansund 5. September 2014.

Article from todays local newspaper Tidens Krav:

Comment

July will see 7 cruiseships in Kristiansund, and today it was Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines BLACK WATCH which visited our beautiful harbour.
                                She arrived 08:00 and departed 17:00.

Seen from the steps at Nordlandet church

A sundbåt is always pleasantly getting into the pictureframe. This time it's FRAMNÆS

Funnels in a row
                                Last edited by Sterkoder; July 4th, 2013, 00:39.

Comment

Working...
                                X