This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

Very nice pictures. Especially, if you count in that the light that day and time was catastrophic for good pictures. But we see clear pictures with good contrast (no chance hiding that Boudicca will need a new painture soon).
    And we see a classic ship with so much remarcable and lovely details a ship must have and which you don't find on the new ones. And what a nice body! It is so hard to call the new shoe box design esthetic.
    We see also that she must be well booked at this time of the year, if you see that crowd of people out on the decks.
    And they all like K-sund as destination, indeed a spectacular harbour to arrive and depart, surely a highlight during their cruise.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Chief of Fred. Olsen Travel, a Norwegian of whom I've forgotten the name, said on local tv last night that they have three packages made for the winter calls in Kristiansund:
      Atlanterhavsveien, Kvernes stavechurch and City walk with or without guide. All packages are fully booked and very popular. Not far from 100% british passangers on this trip.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

This picture is for Sterkoder. I took it from southbound Nordnorge Friday 22 February.

Regards; Sigve.
        ---
        IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Thank you, Sigve!
          At that exact time I was up on Orsætra (ref. thread 'Walking Bjerkestrand' )
          listening to NORDNORGEs arrival signal.
          From that distance I could not define the 2 long-1 short-2 long signal, and it all sounded like one very long hornblowing.
          Anyway, nice picture Sigve

Comment

As you might have seen on some pictures from Kristiansund, showing Storkaia, you might have seen a large barge, escavators and gravel work.
            Entrepenaur Hære Maskin is doing repair work to the fundaments of the Storkaia, as the thrusters of large cruise- and offshore vessels has dug out the stones underneath.
            Wonder how they manage to position the stones and make the quay exactly as she was (only stronger) ??
            Well, they use GPS and pre-calculated digging and repair maps.
            At Innlandet, across the harbour is the sender of signals from satelites to the workong machines.

Comment

A new picture for Sterkoder. Approaching Kristiansund from the north, February 22, seen from Nordnorge.

Regards; Sigve.
              ---
              IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Thanks, Sigve!

In Kristiansund (and all other places, obviously) we had the full Moon tonight. As I drove over Omsundet bridge in a hurry to a meeting, I turned my head to the right and saw the most beautiful sight.

I had only ten minutes until the meeting would start, but I did not care...., as that Moon must be photographed.
                Drove over to the old Omsundet bridge, pulled out my camera and tri-pod, turned on the camera and adjusted as I walked fast from my car, while pulling out the legs of the tri-pod.

At the spot, I was ready to shoot at once, but as Joakim had thought me about night shots, I remembered all but setting my camera in Av.
                That mistake resulted in pictures I'm not totally satisfied with...., but here they are:

In Omsundet, beneath the bridge is Brunsviken Reperbane...., a company making, repairing, washing and storeing flarge fish nets for the fleet of fishboats

Comment

Earlier today I attended a meeting in the city, something which brought me to Innlandet.
                  From the Thon Hotel I suddenly spotted a cormorant taking off from the harbour, and this is the result of the shot I fired from the hip..., so to speak

Here's the repair team hired to fix the Storkaia fundaments

Colours are awesome in the bright light of early morning hours in Kristiansund

Old wall of Mellemværftet ship yard from the 1800s

ANNE MARGRETHE resting at a floating quay at Mellemværftet

Nice colours in the pleasure craft harbour in Vågen

Comment

Well Svein, I think that sometimes when taking a small group of photos, or album or whatever you want to call it, all on one occasion (or even a complete trip or holiday), there is a tendency to judge the whole by the least liked one and the things that went wrong that you know you could have done differently. However someone else coming to the pictures doesn’t see it that way.

You will never be able to convince me that blue and beautiful #957/1 isn’t simply perfect.

But may I be allowed another favourite please from among your recent images?
                    I bet it’s the one you were thrilled about yourself when you looked at it afterwards, hardly able to believe it was you who had taken it.
                    Yes, it’s the one taken spontaneously “on the fly” as the saying goes.

Comment

Thanks for many nice comments!

To put it this way: I'm not particularly proud of 957/1 and 2.

Comment

Ok, well to me 957/1 looks perfectly fine as is and I actually like it very much indeed. I'm less fond of /2 but I'm not at all convinced about what you would have made of it with the aperture priority setting...maybe a "better" exposed moon, but at the expense of the surroundings maybe.

In my enthusiasm for the first image, I forgot to say that I am not keen on the moon-on-its-own photo, and in fact would have binned it had I taken it. The chromatic aberration looks beyond salvage. (To be honest I am not keen on this kind of full moon shot anyway, but that is perhaps the ex-astronomer bit of me talking ...the side lighting of a crescent moon and resulting shadows reveal more information, and conventions in photographing fossils in rock for scientific publication exist for a similar reason.)

So to sum up, the first image for me balances the moon and the landscape context for me in so pleasing a way that I would for sure include it that future Kristiansund coffee-table book of your images that your FB friend alluded to!

Oh I also meant to mention I very much like the documentary photos of the works along the quayside. Makes me think I should have documented the Edinburgh "tram works" here...but that would have amounted to a full time job with still no end in sight!

Comment

I’m very much in a state of continual interruptions at home at the moment, and a quick “Like” of his four “moon images” on Svein’s post on Facebook has resulted in parallel conversations, but it’s so much easier to expand on the discussion here on CVF.
                          Just to bring it together for everyone, Svein said (on FB while I was grabbing some lunch ) :-
                          “If my settings were correct, in the two images where you also see the sea, you should be able to see the Moon surface...., not the Moon pictured like a powerful blurry light bulb ;-)”

Well sure, should in the sense that some moon surface detail was visible to your eye along with the land/sea context, and really all I’ve been saying is that sometimes, whether due to a mistake forgetting a setting or even intentionally, a resulting image might “work” artistically even if it is not accurate “as seen”. #957/1 as you took it works for me in that way.

Comment

Thanks again, Cecilia, for taking time to comment on my pictures!
                            I understand what you say, you do the same with me...., and that boils down to me sitting here just have to be satisfied with my pictures. And all in all, I am

Comment

i like them too Svein about the moon,over the water.the moon its self not so.
                              and a beautiful serie of the ''boudicca'',specially 948/6
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

Storm from south west in Kristiansund today.
                                At the Storm Warning (Stormvarselet; the only one left fully operational and in use in Norway) that light signal would be white over white with green below.
                                The warning for Saturday evening and Sunday is storm from north west, and that signal is red over red with green.

The light signals is controlled from the 24/7 manned fire station

The grayish air is a mix of rain and salt water blown up from the sea surface.
                                After days like this, all windows in the city are white of salt, and many car owners wash their cars, as this salty air is not good and makes the cars rust quicker
                                Vessels are from left: RONJA SUPERIOR, NYKSUND and ROFISK

From the quay at Nordlandet, beneath the Storm Warning, we see that a south westerly storm can make waves at our otherwise calm and sheltered harbour

Looking towards Vågen. The offshore vessel is ISLAND CHALLENGER

Comment

Working...
                                X