Re: This is Kristiansund

I'm personally satisfied with 903/2 and those 7 trees to the right there
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Looks to be a bit cold for bathing!

Comment

Oh yes, Tommi...., a cold south-westerly wind, 3-4 degrees and raining cats-and-dogs horizontally....., I agree, nothing tempted me to stick a toe in the crystal clear water.
        These pictures are among the very few I produce now in this dark time of the year. I really miss the lighter times, really very much miss it...., and I often think about the fact that it's just 5 weeks until the Sun will appear higher and higher on the sky.

Comment

Dear Sterkoder,

Beautiful images, I especially love the light in post 904.... very moodfull and perfectly composed.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Nice weather in Kristiansund today, and before and around noon, there was a low sun giving great light.

Starting at Mellemværftet, the sunlight was so low it lighted up the area under their quay

A mooring rope

The Hollywood lookalike sign showed KØA MINDRE today.
            This calls for a short explanation. This city has a huge problem with traffic jam and long endless queues.
            To do something with this, the bus company, sundbåten company and city municipal invites everyone who uses their cars for transportation to and from work to use the bus and/or the sunbåt for one week, for free. On the boat there will be served coffee and newspapers.
            KØA: a local way to write KØEN or KØ meaning QUEUE.
            MINDRE: means LESS

Barcarole Tapas Restaurant and Arnulf Øverland Gallery over at Innlandet

The spooky thing is that the city is almost dead, even on a Saturday at 12:00

And when a crowded sundbåt arrives, all on board get on shore and walk straight for the shopping mall.
            The smaller shops other places can't take this for a longer periode of time, and my view is that a large shopping mall is killing for a city center.

Comment

Kristiansund is known for many thing, and maybe most for the sundbåten.
              Sundbåten is the oldest transportation company in continuous operation in the world..., 136 yars.
              This summer we got a replica of the old sundbåt ferry FRAMNÆS, once also a copy of a Hudson River ferry.
              In the background, we see the stone church Nordlandet church built in 1914.

On its route from Kirkelandet to Innlandet the sundbåt disappear behind the Thon Hotel.

FRAMNÆS arrives Kirkelandet from Gomalandet

FRAMNÆS details. It's equipped with a steam engine funnel, but the replica runs on a modern diesel engine these days.
              (The original steam engine from the original FRAMNÆS is installed though, for showing the public how things worked in the old days, but it is not connected so that it can run any of the propellers).

Comment

This is how the city island Gomalandet looks like from the Pier at Kirkelandet

Comment

You were truly blest today with such weather and light and I’m so glad you were able to get out with your camera. That low sun imparts such rich colours, and, emphasising the quay’s reflections and the area beneath gives a quite unfamiliar look to the surroundings. I’m looking at the different colours in the mooring rope too that perhaps would normally pass unnoticed. I love the light and reflections windows in those buildings at Innlandet

In #911/1, the wood of Framnæs matches the sunlit ground bare trees around the church, and even the scaffolding of the new buildings looks beautiful… and then the flag to complete the picture.

Lovely window reflection again, in the Thon hotel, and I’m imagining how nice it would have been in the room I had when I stayed there.

Needless to say, great images of the funnel, and then you’ve given us a bonus panorama to finish with!

Comment

Wonderful late autumn shots in splendid weather.... and that comes from someone who have hardly been outside the front door for the past 5 weeks!

Scary to see how empty the streets are at 12:00 on a Saturday... it's normally a shopping day, and there is almost nobody outside... if a shop isn't located inside a mall, they surely will struggle to survive!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Of all people in here, I might not be the one posting night shots......, but anyway, as I have a lot to learn, here are a few from Kristiansund at around 5:00 PM this afternoon. All taken from around Thon Hotel at Innlandet.
                      (Just got a few nice words from the receptionist over there though)

NORMAND SUBSEA

FAR SEEKER with the Rica Hotel and police station in the background

Sundbåt NORDSUND brought ashore to be a location used by Thon Hotel for small meetings, and it is in fact the main location for the Sundbåt Museum.

NORDSUND, Thon Hotel and Sørsundet bridge

And the hotel lagune. Nice, isn't it...?

As you may know, close to Thon Hotel is the Barcarole Tapas Restaurant and Bar, and Arnulf Øverland Gallery

Comment

And as the annual oil- and gas conference, December Conference, is about to commence..., the 'hollywoodish' sign has changed yet again; OLJEBYEN (OIL CITY)

As I drove home, I had to try a couple of shots at the AMFI Futura shopping mall

Comment

You're evolving Sterkoder. The last ones are not bad at all.

Comment

Thanks Tommi!

I use my tripod, but I have a hard time getting to know my camera during darkness.
                            In some of the images I can focus in auto, in others I have to go manual.
                            When a ice cold breeze from Russia sweeps across my eyes and make them flood, it's very hard to see if the picture is in focus or not.

Well, in due time..., some day....

Comment

Dear Sterkoder,

I wholeheartedly agree with Tommi: you are evolving!

These images are taken at the perfect time, they are really clear (low ISO?), and the compositions are well executed (at least the way my eyes see them).

You are now walking on a path towards great photos, and you should definitely continue on this path!

Did you notice in image 915/5, how the steps are illuminated in a way that makes your eyes walk along the steps? Brilliant!

Comment

Just some more quick input:

Generally you've picked a very good time of the evening (afternoon?) to do your photo round, you still got that nice blue light around.

#915:1 try to overexposure and you might get the McNikon-look.

#915:2 good photo, but it comes out a bit blurred due to hard jpg-compression, or could it be a cropped picture?

#915:3 nothing more to be done here regarding the exposure. If you want it better, then shoot raw and process.

#915:4 & 5: both are "correctly" exposed, but did you notice how different the hotel wall looks? The 915:5 would need some more light on the wall, or a longer exposure time, but that would mess up the lights around the basin.

#915:6 a bit overexposed. Could perhaps been saved shooting in raw.

#916:1 good!

#916:2 & 3: good exposure. Some blurriness, hard to tell why

Do you have live view on your camera? Then I would recommend manual focus when photographing with tripod in these light conditions.
                                And a pair of ski-glasses...

Comment

Working...
                                X