No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thon Hotel in Kristiansund opening soon. This is a new life for one of our many warehouses along the seaside in the harbour.
    In the old times they were used to ship stockfish and clipfish to all over the world.

This is how the warehouse looked like 23. December 2007

And when they started the rebuild in June 2008

This is 29. November 2008

This picture was taken this afternoon. Turned out to be rather beautiful, don't you think?
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

What an amazing transformation....

If I get to KSU some day in the future, I'll give them a call and ask if I can have an appointment to photograph their rooms and premises...
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

And as this is on Innlandet (the smallest of the islands Kristiansund are built on), the hotel will be directly in the light of the evening summer sun.
        Another nice thing is that all the rooms facing the harbour, will be just 40-50 meters away from the shipping traffic in and out of Kristiansund harbour..., as the arriving and departing hurtigrutes.
        Needless to say, this will be THE hotel to stay in for shipspotters staying overnight in our beautiful city...

Comment

So glad they didn't tear it down--but used the "good bones" of the structure!!

Comment

Kristiansund harbour around 4:45PM this afternoon

Comment

Much of the business in Kristiansund in the old times had to do with clipfish and bacalao.
              Last year a couple of guys wrote an operamusical to honor the clipfish barons, clipfishwomen/workers and the life around this industry.
              The operamusical is called Donna Bacalao, and is set up on a stage at Vikaneset...., where Jan-Olav took some pictures in January 2009.

The opera was...., I'm almost out of words, but let me just use the common GREAT!!!!!
              The scenery can't be described, as the light changed as the night came, the fjord was like a mirror and behind the scene came the sailboat "Anne Margrethe" to moore at one of the docks.

Here's a link, with a small video when you click "Lyd og Bilder" once inside http://www.donnabacalao.no

Comment

Just found a picture I took from a flight I had back in 2006. The image shows the oilfield service base Vestbase in Kristiansund, and how it looked back then.
                Today is a hole new ballgame, as much on the image is changed. There are more docks, much of the sea to the left in my picture is filled in to make more storage space, there are a completely new shoppingcenter right above my working place (where you read SWIRE) and the base is completed just beneath the airport.
                The image shows just about 50% of Vestbase, as the rest of the base is situated off the edge to the left of my image.
                This image, I thought, give me a great oportunity to show you all where I work.

Last edited by Sterkoder; September 6th, 2009, 14:03.

Comment

Quite fascinating to see how they have dug out the dock from the rocks.. and built buildings on top of the new land.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

On page 4 you can see the transformation from an old seaside warehouse to a modern hotel.
                    Tomorrow on the 1st November 2009 it's time for the grand opening, and this is how it looks. (Note the diningroom, the huge glass walls in the middle).

On the east side of the hotel is Kristiansunds very first jail..., that red house there, and that green one on the other side of that tiny bay is an old boatyard.
                    This is how it looked before they started on the hotel

I post those two pictures just because I want to show you how that tiny bay looks today, just before the grand hotel opening.
                    (Pictures via Brunsvikanytt/www.brunsvika.net)

Great, isn't it...??

NOTE:
                    This is a link with 34 pictures from the local newspaper, and please look at picture nr. 5. Seems like a nice place to sit down for a meal...
                    http://www.tk.no/nyheter/article4676...tart=0&serie=0

(Tell me what you think of the hotel. Not that I have anything to do with it, but it makes me a bit proud on behalf of the city, making a old warehouse into this jewel in just 16 months. I know I would very much like to stay in that hotel anyway...!!! ).
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; October 31st, 2009, 21:33.

Comment

I think this is great - love what they have done to the place but if I should be really picky, it would have been nice if they had kept some of the original charm.

if I ever get to your city again, this will be the place I wish to stay..

Comment

if I ever get to your city again
                        Of course you do!

Some of the old atmosphere are kept inside the original warehouse, some in the external design and some in the rooms, walls and ceilings.
                        (Not much, but I know what you mean).

This hotel is just 200 meters from the Tahitifestival, so you are all welcome next late June...., if you like big happy crowds, good drinking and last but not least very good music.
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; October 31st, 2009, 21:45.

Comment

Kristiansund harbour and bus station 29th September 1987. Sorry, I don't have new pictures for comparison for you who don't know how it looks today.
                          But belive me, there are many changes.

Another shot, this time of the city center

Comment

In the very first picture of this thread, you see Reinsfjell in the far distance.
                            Here's how it looks from the top towards the city.

At the top is the old and new tv- and communication towers. The new one obviously being the highest one.

And finally, this is my school where I did 1. to 6. grade. Nordlandet Barneskole (elementary school)
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; November 6th, 2009, 21:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                              Kristiansund harbour and bus station 29th September 1987. Sorry, I don't have new pictures for comparison for you who don't know how it looks today.
                              COOOL! Just a few years before I started studying in KSU!

Comment

Kristiansund harbour Sunday 8th November 2009. The new Thon Hotel in the background there...

Just a window in the sunset. Four of the glasses are modern, two are old handmade ones...., I belive you see which two.
                                Sorry for the bad quality....

Comment

Working...
                                X