No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was determined to find my way up to Stormvarselet – a storm warning signal mast, placed on a high vantage point so as to be seen around the harbour as an aid to sailors. Once quite common in Norway, I believe this is the only one that remains functional. I have mislaid a link I had last year to information in English, but Sterkoder has since given some explanations in this thread, and I found an account of its history in Norwegian. Oh how wonderful…someone has even published an app for smartphones that shows the signal codes!!! This all suggests to me an increasing pride in the city heritage –something which we on CVF are so wonderfully appreciative of thanks to our very own Civic Ambassador Sterkoder!

There was a road leading off Dalegata on my map that was actually called Stormvarslet. After initially ending up in a residential cul de sac, I took the road opposite Søversten which petered out in a clearing surrounded by trees, in the corner of which was a football goal.

An inviting path also led out of the clearing, just asking to be explored!…I am again very much enjoying doing my kind of thing. It emerged right by the signal mast!

Comment

Comment

I remember sitting on a rock, getting out my iPad and posting on my “away a while” thread a note aimed at Sterkoder to say where I was, looking down on his church!

It wasn’t the best of days weatherwise looking out towards the bridge, but then came a sundbåt to make my picture.
        It will be interesting to see exactly where Sterkoder goes. He had a photo of where the Hollywood-like sign is, but even if I had explored further that day I would not have seen the actual letters. For here is a photo I took the day I arrived looking across the harbour, and there is no sign. I expect they were preparing to feature an event, just like we have seen in Sterkoder’s photos.

Comment

On the way back I paused to take this…I’m always fascinated to see entrances to underground installations.

…and then back on Dalegata this detail number sign caught my eye.

Comment

A contrast in the fortunes of adjacent gateways.

Comment

Back at the park, I strolled a few yards along Parkveien, and came across an interesting building -an old firestation.

Comment

Finally, back at the shore…

Comment

Then the sundbåt arrived, and once aboard I took the last photo of my visit to “Marokko”!

Comment

Google map of my walk. Before anyone notices that my label “church” is not where it says “Nordlandet church” on the map, I’d better explain the latter is the church offices. Also I haven’t attempted to pin-point the storm signal itself, partly because my GPS position was lost with the demise of Gowalla, and partly because I wanted to leave the wooded area clear so that Sterkoder would be able to find exactly where he went!

Comment

Re: This is Kristiansund

Deleted by self (double post, tricky by iPhone)
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; August 1st, 2012, 21:45.
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I'm thrilled to see your photos from your walk at Nordlandet...!!!!!
                        It dawn on me that I have not been good at presenting my own island to you, though that old fire station has been on my list for years.
                        One thing I didn't know, and had to be told by a person from Edinburgh, is that the statue of bears are made by Tore Bjørn Skjølsvik..., the very same artist who made Klippfiskkjerringa and Sildegutten over at Kirkelandet.
                        I'm embarrassed to say that I never saw Nordlandet church as a jugend style building neither..., I mean, this is after all "my" church.
                        By your walk you have enlighten me, Cecilia, and that is a bit embarrassing but also a great thing about CVF. Thanks!!!

And where else can you take the oldest means of transportation ment for the paying public in continuous operation in the world (sundbåten) from Tahiti to Marokko?? Only in Kristiansund!
                        (The Tahiti festival was finished last week in June, and come 29. August, the Marocco festival will commence. Chris Thompson (lead vocal in Manfred Mann's Earth Band) being the main attraction this year. Visit www.marokkofest.com)
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; August 1st, 2012, 21:47.

Comment

Great shots Lady C..... have you recently been to Norway, just a few weeks ago???

Have I missed it somehwere, somehow...?

Shame on me!

Did you go up to take a close up of the Kristiansund city name on the hill, or have Sterkoder done that?
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

No shame whatsoever pakarang, because no, I haven’t been to Norway, or indeed anywhere, since Nordstjernen in March …but now the next NX trip is only two weeks away so I am feeling more cheerful!

These photos of this particular walk in Kristiansund are from a year ago and were somehow not posted when I did the rest. And the city name sign wasn’t on the hill those days…I think it was being changed to celebrate one of the town festivals.

Comment

Ahaaa.... thank heavens for that... it was just you late posting pictures... but I'm not going to say anything, because I'm also so terribly way behind that there is hardly any excuse any longer that can cover my delay....
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

You might also be fooled by the first line of text in post #811. The year there should say 2011....

Comment

Working...
                                X