This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

Wonderful report. It is nice to study a ship from all perspectives, especially a nice one like this. I like her, but sailing on her is really expensive...
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Nice photographies Sterkoder. I find the Sea Cloud to be a ship with a quite dull and boring appearance, there's something with those aft windows and the funnel that is a bit unharmonic in the design.

Comment

Great shots of the Silver Whisper and the Silver Cloud, Sterkoder!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you so much!!!! I try my best...

It might need some explanation, but I post my cruiseship pictures here, as I also take pictures of the city with the ship in the frame, and not only the ship itself.

That said, we were visited by BOUDICCA today, and she's just leaving for Ålesund as I write (23:30 local time)

The first images is from between 16:20 and 17:15 today, and let me start with one also showing FINNMARKEN arriving. Two of the nicest vessels in harbour at once

The next one was taken from the ISPS-fence by the bus terminal

Then I drove to the top of the parking house at AMFI shopping mall, and a familiar funnel stood tall

There's always someone out there who like details, I guess
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Then the parkinglot over at Thon Hotel was the place, and the ship is just as nice to look at from that angle

And who can spot two such beautiful sterns without taking a picture..? Not me!

Now I'll let you in on a little story;
            My daugter (12) came to me and said she had never seen a "live" cruiseship in Kristiansund.
            And after leaning back and really thinking about it..., she was correct.
            One thing to do; me and her had to drive into town to look at a beautiful cruiseship!! We walked on the sidewalk down at the docks, she looked up and were very impressed. Me proud?? Take a guess...
            Wonder if BOUDICCA will be "our" ship now?
            Anyway, when we arrived, the sun had come through and these last images is from around 20:00 tonight

I wonder if this might be Boudicca, or is it a mermaid?

In a window in AMFI shopping mall was a mirror image

From the main entrance of the mall, the ship looked like this in the evening sun
            Last edited by Sterkoder; July 10th, 2012, 01:49.

Comment

I would say the sign should've been turned the other way, and this side say "Welcome back!"..., but that's me.
              Other than that I wonder what those eyes in the upper left corner are looking at, while the others are sleeping

We walked over to where the new sundbåt FRAMNÆS was moored

Innlandet with the Bauta and the three salute cannons in the background

Closeup of the Bauta and cannons

The Fred. Olsen flag is flying in the cold northerly wind from the bow flagpole (The bow flag, usually the owners flag, is called gjøs, in Norwegian)
              Last edited by Sterkoder; July 10th, 2012, 07:24.

Comment

Then we have "my" island Nordlandet with "my" church in the background

It might not look like this is in Kristiansund, but it sure is

Details of the bridge exterior

If anyone doubt it, we're in Kristiansund, as it says over at Nordlandet

And before we walked back to my warm car, I took this picture as the ship mirrored in the AMFI shopping mall main entrance

That's all for now folks, hope you all enjoyed...

Comment

Great additions Sterkoder , a Good variety of shots makes this very interesting to look at.

Comment

Ships and the City!
                    Oh yes! Love this and the way you wrote about it too, because it can never be said enough that the harbour at Kristiansund is like nowhere else. There is nothing marginal about it…it IS the city centre in a very real sense. For those who haven’t been there and taken a round or so on the sundbåts, your photos and comments get that message across Sterkoder.

Now I am all “happy tears” reading the story of Vilde’s first cruise ship. And so thrilled that it was such a special lady.

Comment

An absolutely wonderful report by all standard. I very much loved the reflection-shots, very clever and very nice conection through local details. It takes a master to see them, and capture them as nice as this. You have all reasons to be proud of what you have presented here.

This is a wonderful looking ship, and seeing her together with Finnmarken is a treat. Two wonderful ships, two different classes, two different eras.

Love the details - all of them.

PS: I have no idea about the mermaid, but maybe Lady C can tell us more about Boudicca?
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                        .... but maybe Lady C can tell us more about Boudicca?
                        I might not actually be the most appropriate to answer this for Boudicca was the warrior queen of the Iceni people who inhabited East Anglia at the time of the Roman conquest. She led their rebellion against the Romans and was successful in defeating the Roman legion and destroying their capital at Colchester. Further victories and the fall of Roman towns of St Albans and London followed before Boudicca was finally defeated. It is said she poisoned herself to avoid capture.

Interest in the story of Boudicca became popular during Victorian times when she became a somewhat Britannia-like symbol.

Comment

very clever and very nice conection through local details
                          Specially liked this comment, and the fact that you noticed what I was trying to tell.

My "project" with such beautiful vessels in port is to not only show pictures of the ship, but show all of the viewers that the ship is in Kristiansund...., to underline that, to sort of incorporate the ship in the environment and city picture.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Said to be the figurehead from MV "Baldrian", built at Aker in 1947. (IMO No.: 5034472)
                            She became the Alderjo of Lars-Rej Johansen in 1971. Operated by Globus Shipping and Trading Singapore. ("My" company at the time)

Fred Olsen was the only modern shipping line to spend money on genuine art to grace the bow of their ship. When the ships were eventually sold, the figureheads would be removed and either re-used of placed in the garden at the Olsen summer residency at Hvitsteen in the Oslofjord, the ancestral hometown of Fred. Olsen.
                            Here is a link with a list of the figureheads that is available to view by the public and the name of the artist who made them: http://www.hvitstenvel.no/files/pdf/...b%C3%A5ter.pdf

Every Fred. Olsen ship had to dip the flag when passing Hvitsten in daylight.

Comment

Thanks so much ombugge for the information and that marvellous link to the figureheads at Hvitsteen.
                              Now knowing the ship it originally came from, I found here that this artwork depicts a Peasant Girl and is by Ragnhild Butenschon.

I am now motivated to learn more of the Fred Olsen ships, and see at the end of an article on the cruise line’s webpage that the ship Boudicca is indeed named after the queen of the Iceni.

Comment

Thanks, 'Ombugge' for info and link!!

So, the day had to come..., after living in this city for almost 50 years, and being a photographing shipspotter since 2005, I finally visited the area at the Stormvarselet (Storm Warning Lights) and the Hollywoodish sign reading KRISTIANSUND at the moment.

Let me present my city to you from this spot this Saturday afternoon.

First, here's the Stormvarselet.
                                Many such light warnings for bad weather was operating in older times, specially before the VHF and radio communication were normal in the coastal fishery fleet.
                                They then used their binoculars to watch such signs on land.

Stormvarselet is Norways only operating stormvarsel, and we all use it as a forecast information on winds and from what direction it comes.
                                The lights are automatically operated from the operation room at the fire departement.

Here's what the light combinations mean

The city looks like this from the basement of that warning lights

Kristiansund, from the back side..., so to speak

And from the front

Comment

Working...
                                X