No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So thrilled to see Framnæs. Doesn’t she look great! Lovely detail of the beautifully constructed deck. I had a giggle at the clock though – new concept of Kristiansund time!

Glad you had reasonably weather for the occasion. Had it been today’s Edinburgh weather you would scarcely be able to see Angvik in that last photo, let alone across the harbour…and you and your camera would be soaking wet – but I can’t complain –at least it was fine for the Olympic Torch earlier in the week.

Comment

Re: This is Kristiansund

Sorry to hear about your weather, but the forecast say it's something similar about to happen here next week.
      Here's one more picture of "Framnæs" which gives a better view of the hole vessel.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

and no image of the other wheelhouse?
        why 2 cabines for such a small ferry,is there a reason for that?
        best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          The old engine telegraph.
          How does this engine telegraph work? Why mounted in the roof?

I assume the engine room is amidships and, since she is double ended, has a wheel and telegraph in each end?

The old telegraphs were operated by wire pull, which I assume is the case here to. Must be a lot of little pulleys to get this to work. First along the roof from both end, then down to the engine room at the center. I hope they have given the skipper a bit more modern way to maneuver.

Which leads to another question; does she have a replica steam engine, or have they compromised and installed a modern diesel?

Comment

To try to answer both 'janihudi' and 'ombugge's questions:

The sundbåt ferry "Framnæs" has a long story, and shes inspired by the small pendulum ferries on Hudson River in New York, brought to Scandinavia by the Wallenberg brothers.

The design cought Norsk Hydros founder Sam Eides attention and the history tells us about "Framnæs I", "Framnæs II" and "Framnæs III".
            Todays version in Kristiansund is a replica of "Framnæs III", and not knowing anything about the engine telegraphs, I know that they worked perfectly from 1917 to 1951.

Yes, the engine room is midship, and although the modern version has a diesel engine, the old steam engine is also mounted down there.
            The steam engine is working and can be run, but not to propell the ferry.
            The main reason for this is that they have not mounted the boiler.

The reason for a wheelhouse in each end is that this is a pendulum vessel, not intended to turn around to move forward.
            As you can see, there are also green and red navigationlights on the roof on the same side, used depending on which way she was sailing.

Sadly only in Norwegian, but you can read all about the sundbåt ferry here, if you want to: http://framnaes.no/

Comment

Fantastic report from the new pride of Kristiansund... the Framnæs!

The workmanship and finish of the replica boat is fantastic. Well done, and I know this will be an important asset to the city in the future.

Kudos to the people who made this project come through and to the people who made this possible.
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

This years Tahitifestival opened tonight, with the norwegian musicians and entertainers Jan Eggum/Halvdan Sivertsen.
                Wednesday gives Kaizers Orcestra, Friday see De Derre and Saturday Jarle Bernhoft is the main artist.
                On the opening night, in a distance, the Tahiti Choir can be seen behing the festival general Frode Alnæs, vawing his arms in the brown jacket.

Both sundbåten "Angvik" and the new "Framnæs" sailed all night long to handle the 2.500+ visitors to the festival

Comment

Lovely to hear about and see Framnæs in action during this special time in Kristiansund’ s event calendar.

Comment

Congratulations to my hometown KRISTIANSUND!!!
                    You are 270 years old today, 29. June 2012!!!

(Our airport, Kvernberget, is 42 tomorrow, 30. June )

So tonight, I'm going to together with colleagues at Peppes Pizza, before taking "Framnæs" over to Innlandet to enjoy the Tahitifestival

Comment

Today we were visited by "Silver Whisper" in Kristiansund.
                      This picture was taken during my lunchbreak, as she arrived a couple of hours before her 13:00 ETA.

After work, I drove over to Innlandet and Thon Hotel to take these pictures

And just before departure, I drove down to the quay at Nordlandet to see the ship in the great evening light we had here today

She left as I had started to mend the garden at my in-laws, so I took one picture as the ship turned starboard after sailing out the Markussundet outlet

Comment

Breakfast time quick comment…just HAD too say how pleased I was to see you DID catch up with Silver Whisper

Comment

I am glad you managed to see her in your lunchbreak, i had that feeling and crossed fingers yesterday that she would not be perfect in schedule!!
                          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                            Breakfast time quick comment…just HAD too say how pleased I was to see you DID catch up with Silver Whisper
                            Silver Cloud is on her way to KSU right now. ETA 0630 UTC tomorrow.

Comment

"Silver Whisper" a couple of days ago, and today; "Silver Cloud".
                              I didn't get her arrival, and I also could miss the departure..., hadn't she left an hour before schedule.
                              (Maybe there was nothing more to see, what do I know).

The first image shows different vessels important to us;
                              our sundbåt of course, represented by the 1956 model "Rapp", then we see
                              the orange and yellow "Viking Queen" in the distance, "Far Saga" alongside Storkaia and of course a cruise ship, represented today by "Silver Cloud"

Yepp, being able to perform my great hobby like this bring a smile to my face...

Seen from Vestre Allmenning over at Innlandet, together with an old crane and light pole, "Silver Cloud" looks like this

Comment

For those interested in details...

Then sailing out the Markussundet outlet with the Hollywood-like sign KRISTIANSUND in the background

The houses in the back there belongs to the island Nordlandet, while the green vegetation in front belongs to the smallest of the Kristiansund islands, Innlandet. Covered by the ship itself is Vestbase

Nope, the 629 meters high Freikollen has not had its top removed...., as the ships name suggest, Freikollen is covered in clouds

Comment

Working...
                                X