This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

Not many vessels in harbour in Kristiansund today, but after some of the most bad weather we've had for a long time here, I had to go out and try my camera when the sky was clear.
    Here's a picture taken from Nordlandet towards Sørsundet and Sørsundet bridge. We see Thon Hotel (barely) in the left side and "Sea Sailor" and AMFI shopping mall to the right.
    The characteristic 'Bremsneshatten' (Bremsnes hat) at Averøy in the background there.

Many colours in Kristiansund, which is known in Norway as 'The Polychrome City'. Very obvious for those visiting Vuggaveien, with all the houses of the same design has different and strong colours. (I know J-O and Lady C has pictures from there).
    In the foreground of the sunlit houses are the pilot vessel on its way out via Nordsundet, with the furniture and interior shopping center Bohus in nthe background.

Strong sunlight here as she was about to set. Here's "Maersk Launcher" and all her details.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
      Not many vessels in harbour in Kristiansund today, but after some of the most bad weather we've had for a long time here, I had to go out and try my camera when the sky was clear. Here's a picture taken from Nordlandet towards Sørsundet and Sørsundet bridge. We see Thon Hotel (barely) in the left side and "Sea Sailor" and AMFI shopping mall to the right.
      The characteristic 'Bremsneshatten' (Bremsnes hat) at Averøy in the background there.

Superb light today! Glad you got out to capture it, and capture it so well also!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Nice update Sterkoder, and the Maersk Launcher definitely comes out differently in that lighting.

Comment

What a lovely scene in the sunlight making the bright colours even brighter and so cheerful-looking…and then the dark strip of the tree with exactly the right amount of out of focus branches, and the white strip of quay in the foreground turn a pretty picture into Art .

Needless to say I loved the first image! Perhaps because you mentioned J-O later, but I was just thinking to myself “Oh I do love Sterkoder’s pakarang view of the bridge” !!!!

Comment

First of all:
            Thank you so much for nice words and commrnts!! I blush you know...
            The nicest thing about your comments, is that thy are also inspirational!

Hope it's ok to drop these images in this thread, even though they might as well fit the general ship photo thread in here.
            Anyway, on my way to the dentist this Thirsday afternoon, I was too tempted to drive over to Thon Hotel and take pictures of the row of vessel along Storkaia. Almost forgot my appointment

Here's a panorama with "Em Express" from left side, then "Normand Prosper", "Ro master" (live fish carrier), "Elektron II" (inner) and "Eidsvaag Sirius" (outer)

"Ro master"

"Elektron II" and "Eidsvaag Sirius" (fish farm pellets feeder)

Couldn't resist those bows...
            Last edited by Sterkoder; January 13th, 2012, 02:15.

Comment

Oh yes…how could one possibly resist all those ships in a row!
              I was just thinking…such panorama format images, whether with ships or simply landscapes, are so very “you”….part of your overall style when thinking about your works as a whole. I might not have said that before, though I know I have mentioned your “portrait format” vertical images of certain kinds of subject matter which are also very you.

Love that last image with the bows of Normand Prosper and Oh yes…how could one possibly resist all those ships in a row!
              I was just thinking…such panorama format images, whether with ships or simply landscapes, are so very “you”….part of your overall style when thinking about your works as a whole. I might not have said that before, though I know I have mentioned your “portrait format” vertical images of certain kinds of subject matter which are also very you.

Love that last image with the bows of Normand Prosper and Ro Master and the shape and interest of the “space” in between…well that may have been largely dictated by where you were able to take the photo from, but nevertheless there might have been some variation possible, and I’m sure you had a feeling for the yellow tones through the glass of the building. Trying to understand just why I find the composition so satisfactory, I think it’s the balance of the lit windows, both with their corners cut by the lines of the ships, that of Normand Prosper lower down the curve and the other higher. Even the protruding car shape echoes the curves. There is so much to make me keep looking at this image, and that is in addition to the ships’ markings and geeky details we love so much!

and the shape and interest of the “space” in between…well that may have been largely dictated by where you were able to take the photo from, but nevertheless there might have been some variation possible, and I’m sure you had a feeling for the yellow tones through the glass of the building. Trying to understand just why I find the composition so satisfactory, I think it’s the balance of the lit windows, both with their corners cut by the lines of the ships, that of Normand Prosper lower down the curve and the other higher. Even the protruding car shape echoes the curves. There is so much to make me keep looking at this image, and that is in addition to the ships’ markings and geeky details we love so much!

Comment

Thank you for taking time making a multilined comment on this, Cecilia!
                You are so correct when you refer to certain images as "me" (obviously "you" when your write), because if I see an elevated motif I could never take a horizontal picture. I have to turn my camera.
                As for the panorama...., I seldom or never take a panorama with that setting put into my camera.
                As for the panorama of the ships above here, that one is purely made by cutting the original image, due to the fact that if I should post a picture pixeled at example 4000x3000 you would see a lot of sea and a lot of sky and only a thin line of land. That is NOT me..., to put it that way...
                Thanks again, C! I'm inspired by your comment.

Comment

Ro Master looks like a really impressive boat... ehh... ship, I mean. Love the last image, of Normand Prosper and Ro Master bow to bow... a little love in the harbor perhaps?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Car ferry "Veøy" (one of the two 'sisters' at Kristiansund mech. in Vågen) just moved from that position to the Storkaia today. Don't know why...

Comment

Old and new days meet in Kristiansund. Offshore vessel "Normand Ferking" seen under the bow spear of the old sail boat "Anne-Margrethe"

The bow of "Anne-Margrethe" herself

Details of her bow spear

Sundbåt "Angvik" and the just as ugly (sorry!) "Vengsøy"
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; January 21st, 2012, 20:49.

Comment

#705/3 is a nice photo…BUT… #705/4 is an outstanding image

Comment

From Dragabukta in Dalasundet, Kristiansund, today.

Regards,
                          Eskild
                          Master Mariner

Comment

Wow, great picture of the warehouse at Draget!
                            Remember one time, back when I was a little boy, my father, grandfather and uncle was at the second floor of this house to hoist their boat up for winter storage.
                            What boat? Well, log into Norsk Skipsfartsforum and take a look at my avatar there. My grandfather made that boat, 20 foot long, two cylynder Volvo Penta 15HP diesel and a little cabin.

Ok, over to something completely different.
                            This week-end I opened my Orsætra season, so to speak, and after Frei became a part of Kristiansund, I guess we can say that this city also got its own slalom downhill track.
                            This picture is takeb from Orsætra towards the track and Freikollen mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                              Old and new days meet in Kristiansund.

Details of her bow spear
                              A great composition, Sterkoder. Well done!

Comment

Thank you, Jan-Olav...., try my best!

Walked along the docks again today, and here's a detail of the port navlight of an old sailing vessel

And after a few minutes of Photobucket trouble, it's time to continue with the last two images of the day.
                                "Klippfiskbutikken" (The Klippfish Store) has moved from the basement of the City Hall to an 1800s building near Vågen

(Link only in norwegian: http://www.klippfiskbutikken.no/ )

"Sula", formely owned by Norwegian Coastal Administration in town
                                Last edited by Sterkoder; January 28th, 2012, 22:46.

Comment

Working...
                                X