Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    Dear Sterkoder…I did look at these stunning night shots while I was away, but thought I should wait to see them big screen before commenting…but I STILL can’t understand what on earth you aren’t “completely satisfied with”!!!!!

You even got the starburst lights!
    Yes, I know, but they are too dark and if you've seen the originals..., you would have seen that they are too blurry. They are not as razorsharp as one should think.
    I want to take night shots like Tom, and as of now, I can't do that. That's why I'm not satisfied.
    I have the oportunity to set the time of the shutter for how long I want, by setting my camera to 'bulb' in manual, but I just discovered I have to keep my finger on the button for the duration, and what's the point with a tripod then...., if I have to use a shaking finger anyhow...???

Well...., I think three important words need attention: practise, practise, practise.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
      Yes, I know, but they are too dark and if you've seen the originals..., you would have seen that they are too blurry. They are not as razorsharp as one should think.
      I want to take night shots like Tom, and as of now, I can't do that. That's why I'm not satisfied.
      I have the oportunity to set the time of the shutter for how long I want, by setting my camera to 'bulb' in manual, but I just discovered I have to keep my finger on the button for the duration, and what's the point with a tripod then...., if I have to use a shaking finger anyhow...???

Well...., I think three important words need attention: practise, practise, practise.
      Your shots are nice Sterkoder!
      I think all of us here are using some tricks to make the pictures look a bit better. Scaling down is perhaps the most common method, sharpening in the computer a other.

You are using the Pentaz K-X, right?
      If you want to set the exposure time, then you turn the program dial to "Tv" and adjust the time with the wheel on the back side of the camera.
      I however think that it's easier to shoot night pictures in the Av-mode where you select the aperture and the camera selects the time. Even the full manual "M" isn't too hard to use if you have a tripod and some time to experiment.
      You can practice shooting your christmas tree as long as you are not trying to capture moving objects.

Comment

Thank you so much for good advice! Highly appreciated!!!
        Yes, I use the K-x, and even though I have been doing so for almost a year now, I have never understood what you say about the 'Tv' choice.
        You see, Pentax is so smart (NOT!) that their owners manual is only available on a cd-rom and thereby I have to open my laptop for every little detail I want to know about.
        (Yes, I know...., the printer is invented, but it should be unnecessary)

Comment

I earlier wrote some tips to Olaf about night shots in this thread: http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...5831#post75831
          Pretty much of that post kind of involves the use of a tripod.
          Hand held is of course possible, but then exposure time is more critical.
          A good rule-of-the-thumb is to use a faster exposure time than the current focal length of the lens. So if your zoom lens is set to 50mm, then the exposure time should be 1/50 second or faster to reduce blurring. For 200mm it should be 1/200 s or faster and so on.

A short tutorial of the most common modes of system cameras:
          Green square: the camera decides everything for you, good if you're in a hurry
          P - program automatic: pretty much the same as green square but you can make some settings, typically compensate the exposure (make the picture brighter or darker) and select flash or not.
          Tv or S: you set the exposure time, camera sets the aperture
          Av or A: you set the aperture, camera sets the exposure time
          M - manual: you set everything

People are a bit scared for the Tv/Av/M-modes, but give it a try, the camera will not blow up! Especially playing around with the M-mode and tripod quickly gives a lot of more experience about exposure.

Comment

Went out on this stressful evening of 23rd December, and here I tried out the 'Tv' setting.
            The air was rather greyish due to strong winds roaring over the salt sea and heavy rain, but here are some offshore vessels and southbound "Nordstjernen".
            On my way home I drove up to what will become the areas largest shopping mall/shopping centre to take some pictures of the floodlit structure of one of the buildings.

Thon Hotel and the Christmas star up there at the Bauta on Innlandet

Our grand old lady

Comment

Then the structure of that shopping mall building

I guess a photoshoot here could well be performed in b/w.

Comment

Sterkoder, I'm viewing your latest pictures on a quite small screen, but I think that your shots just got a bit better?

Comment

Yes, I belive so myself. But over all, they are too dark.

Comment

you could lighten them up i bit,but with the steelconstruction i would leave it like this.
                    white steel for a black background,a reverse silhuet.
                    but 685/1 a longer shuttertime would be overlighted on the houses
                    685/2 and /3 are good
                    685/4 could have some longer time,just to show more of the body of that ''old'' lady.

but that is just my opinion
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

I actually don't think that they are too dark. If we take the last picture of the Nordstjernen, there ain't no light shining on the side of the ship, so it just ain't brighter.
                      There are of course some advanced tricks to make this come out differently, it's all about light, but that's a completely different story too long to be explained the day before Christmas...

Comment

Sterkoder,

So sad to read the fate of Borgnes. This is really sad for any ship-interested person, like many of us.

But, on a more pleasant note, the close up of the two Fjord1 ferries should REALLY be entered into the Photo Competition.... that is in fact not a question if you would like to, that is an order! And orders from the Captain are to be followed....
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

So sad to read the fate of Borgnes. This is really sad for any ship-interested person, like many of us.
                          Without knowing it for sure, I belive the Riksantikvaren (Directorate for Cultural Heritage) not show 100% dedication and interest simply because we here in Kristiansund don't show that to them, if you see what I mean.
                          "Borgenes" is on the list of ships to be protected, but there are no money involved.
                          No one in the Norsk Skipsfartshistorisk Selskap want to touch the vessel either, so I belive "Borgenes" is just suffering a very slow death.

As for the two Christmas lighted ferries, consider it done...
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; December 25th, 2011, 02:35.

Comment

Emperor Willhelm II and his navy often visited Kristiansund, but when World War I started in 1914, these visits ended.
                            Here's how his fleet visiting during Christmas in 1903 looked like. They sure don't make decorations like this any more. Whish they did.
                            This picture is taken from the Pier at Kirklandet towards east, with Nordlandet in the background.
                            Image: Via Brunsvika-Nytt
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; December 25th, 2011, 02:39.

Comment

I really don't want to draw anyones attention back to post #667, because I jumped right into the salad with a ship name there which was totally wrong, but in that same post, I promised you some more images from our locals at Norsk Skipsfartshistorisk Selskap Nordmøre the next time I was there.

Well, that next time was yesterday evening, when we had a gathering with some good food, beer, soda, cognac and good old stories from old captains and other guys who sailed several years on ships world wide.

Armed with my iPhone only, here are some images, and let me start by correcting my blunder from post #667.
                              Of course the drawing was not 'Tirpitz', but rather KNM "Bergen" and above her, KNM "Ula" the sub

The society borrow a model of a Sterkoder design, yard nr. 86 from 1981, the tuna seiner "Wansima". This vessel was broken up in Gahna 2007.
                              Yesterday I had the pleasure to sit at the table with the head designer of this vessel... (Anyone doubt that we two had any difficulties talking to each other?)

Details

The society bell
                              Last edited by Sterkoder; December 30th, 2011, 18:39.

Comment

Our growing library of books and magazines, old and new.
                                We get books by donation and/or next of kins giving us the books of their passed away relatives, and this week we just got a package from CEO Thomas Willhelmsen...., their 150 years anniversary book and fleet list!

Walls are covered with ships and boats connected to any member, or to this area we serve

The door in the back there leads to an office, kitchen and toilet.

So, now you know what heaven I'm in from time to time....

EDIT:
                                I have a feeling that I'm way out on the OT field now and that my personal 'doings' has nothing to do with the basic purpose of this threads title, but let me just mention one more thing as long as Norsk Skipsfartshistorisk Selskap Nordmøre is brought forward:
                                NSSN each year produse a calendar and theme booklet in one with a different maritime and local theme each year. The 2012 theme is the klippfish export ships from
                                Fred. Olsen, Wilh. Wilhelmsen, South America Line, Norwegian America Line and such with 15 images (one for each month, two for the middle pages and one for the cover).
                                I'm honored to say that for the 2013 theme calendar/booklet, I was just asked to be the sole provider of pictures. The theme as it looks now will be Hurtigruten in Kristiansund, and
                                that mean I have to go through my collection of a couple of thousand hurtigrute images taken in Kristiansund, pick out 15, edit them and make them black/white.
                                (The professionals say that we should not print in colours, as that will destroy the concept of these theme calendars/booklets. And I agree).
                                Out of excitement, I just wanted to tell....
                                Last edited by Sterkoder; January 6th, 2012, 12:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X