No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kristiansund harbour seen toward north-west from my Piper Archer this afternoon.
    In the lower left corner you can see the Marcussundet inlet, so often referred to in different posts.
    And in the right part of the picture, you can see "Polarlys" moored
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

So nice to see that summer has finally arrived.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

What a beautiful photo, Sterkoder...and to think you were piloting the plane...how much FUN!!! (I've been reading about how to recover from stalls this week..........I'll get there eventually...)

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
          What a beautiful photo, Sterkoder...and to think you were piloting the plane...how much FUN!!! (I've been reading about how to recover from stalls this week..........I'll get there eventually...)
          Uhh..., ehh...., something I didn't quite get here...?????

Are you reading for your PPL or what...?

Comment

starting to.... but I think it's gonna take a while...I've got Rod Machado's Private Pilot's Handbook on my ipod--I want to learn all of it before I even start thinking about ground school. My husband has lots of friends who fly, and he wants to get his license...all "the guys" say they want their wives to learn how to land a plane, in case one day someone has a heart attack or something. Well, I looked at one of the other wives and said "If I have to learn to land, I'm gonna learn the WHOLE THING"-- (does this reaction surprise anyone???? LOL)

We have a friend who's a certified flight instructor, so he's right here, whenever I"m ready.....

Comment

I know there are many pilots out there who might read this, and I'm sure they agree with me when I say to you:
              If you decide to say GO! for your PPL...., I can promise you insight in a very interesting world of mastering one of the elements!

I don't fly much these days, as I only try to keep current according to regulation when it comes to flight hours, take-offs/landings and so on...

It's not that I don't want to fly, but when one hour (60 minutes) of using our simple, non-complex Piper Archer cost NOK 1.050,- ($ 163,-)...., you can figure out for yourself that I can't soar around every day...

An operator doing my job earns NOK 184,-/hr. now ($ 29,-/hr.), and that is considered just a notch over the average pay here in Norway. So what does a single-engine Piper cost pr. hr. these days over there in the US....? And what is considered an average pay....?
              (I don't use sums or ask questions to know anyones wage here, I'm just interested in how much one must expect to use of ones income to do the most fun hobby of all..).
              Last edited by Sterkoder; May 21st, 2009, 00:03.

Comment

You know, Svein..in typical "Elizabeth" fashion, I have absolutely NO idea how much it costs to take a plane out per hour, etc. but I will find out!!! It's the one area of my life that I tend to act like a typical "blonde"--I just go for it, and worry about SILLY things like plane costs, insurance, fuel, etc LATER......

Most of my friends here who fly own companies and they have clients all over the state/ Southeast USA ...it takes 6-7 hours to drive from one end of Georgia to the other, so they use planes to get places faster. And it's a business expense. If, gee whiz, you can also use the plane to get from middle Georgia over to the coast at Hilton Head to your weekend beach house in 30 minutes instead of the 3 hour trip by car, why not????

Comment

If, gee whiz, you can also use the plane to get from middle Georgia over to the coast at Hilton Head to your weekend beach house in 30 minutes instead of the 3 hour trip by car, why not????
                  Totally agree with you there. I would've used "my" plane a lot more if it were less expencive, and since we (my parents) have a summer house 30 feet from the sea...., one of my future dreams is to educate myself to fly floatplanes and maybe rent one on a long term basis.
                  But since I can't push my personal expences over to any company/business...., it will stay a wild dream forever...

And do you know what...?

Our Piper use 35 liters pr. hr. and we have to pay Shell Aviation NOK 15,- pr. liter ($ 2,35 pr. liter) for the fuel AVGAS 100LL. That's $ 8,89 pr. US gallon of aviation fuel!! Isn't that crazy...? YES!!!!!

Comment

Eliabeth put down the book & Ipod and go fly.

Learn to fly and then study to pass the test.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                      Eliabeth put down the book & Ipod and go fly.

Learn to fly and then study to pass the test.
                      And a good advice we use in our local aeroclubs pilot school:
                      Do not use to many dollars before taking the medical, and be sure to take the written before going too deep into the practical flying.
                      (I'm not saying it's something wrong with anyones body, but it prevent using too much money only to fail the medical...., if you see what I mean....).

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, you two!! I've got this "fear of physics" thing in my brain...that and trying to finish kicking the eaglets out of the nest..... that and getting Alan's business/es to a place where the company can BUY a plane...

I would LOVE to be able to pop up to Atlanta in 20 minutes to go see my son once he starts university up there in the fall. But he will be there for a WHILE, as he plans on studying aerospace engineering-- just like his grandfather! Right now, we just have to get him through Friday, and graduation from high school........

Comment

After new years eve 2007, Frei became a part of Kristiansund and the citys biggest island.
                          At Frei is a huge fort built by the germans during W.W. II, or actually czhec prisoners of war, Fort Kvalvik.
                          This place was also a base for light one-man attack submarines. These submarines carried two torpedoes on the hullside, and they could also be used in suicide attacks.
                          Here's pictures of the sub and torpedoes:

Not quite restored inside, but this image show a tight space, and the vertical tubes is the periscope

The torpedoes

Comment

I learn something new each time I log on!

I had never heard of this place nor had I heard about the subs as well... I love this, and some day, I'll make my way there as well. I got to see this with y own eyes some day!

How interesting, primitive and how... ehhh... claustrophobic... !
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Here's the link to the forts homepages http://www.kvalvikfort.no/?div_id=1&pag_id=1

No entrance to the biggest bunkers and the exhibitions inside other than at the "Day of the Fort" but there are several smaller rooms and gangways to see, and since there are no electricity there, BRING YOUR OWN LIGHT!

Comment

This little friend came up to my car when on a shipspotting "tour" this afternoon.... My special hello from Kristiansund to 'Seagull' then...

Comment

Working...
                                X