This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

And I know you are fed up with this "Maersk Launcher", but I can't help getting impressed by its size.
    I promise, if I don't find another spectacular angle, these will be the last two images of this vessel. Promise...
    I think you have successfully done her justice in that last image, she certainly looks to be looming over her surroundings. I like that angle very much!
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

The "Chris Craft" is a fantastically restored and well kept vessel: absolutely beautiful.

Reminds me of the Italian (?) brand that was so famous in Venice for example.... was the brand Riva or something like that?
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Oh yes, the Riva boats are well known. Here's an image of a Riva, and this is a scale model, mind you.

Chris Craft also built such speedsters, as did many other boatbuilders in the middle of the last century.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          Oh yes, the Riva boats are well known. Here's an image of a Riva, and this is a scale model, mind you.

Chris Craft also built such speedsters, as did many other boatbuilders in the middle of the last century.
          Is it just me, or is that boat and it's ....ehhh.... behind... somewhat ***y?

Those Riva boats are absolutely brilliant when it comes to craftmanship, but the one which S also photographed is beautiful too. Like a RR of the ocean.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Oh no, Jan-Olav, you're not the only one thinking thoughts like that about this crafts stern.
            A little personal note: I would never have such a boat, (of course if I got it for free I would), due to the fact that for me it would not be a practical vessel.
            Imagine a family and a dog in this toy during norwegian weather. I can't...

Now, as I wrote in the offshore vessel thread, I did a walk along the docks here in Kristiansund, and if I should finish in due time to get to bed, I'd better start.

Here's a map, showing my walk from my parked car in Vågen, via the Mellemværftet ship yard from the 1800s, to Devoldholmen and the new building of the harbour authority, where the "Stril Merkur" was moored, by the way. Here we go...

The first vessel I met was the old fishing boat "Tor"

The fishery register on the bow there, M-1-K means M for the county Møre and Romsdal, 1 is the boats own ID and K is Kristiansund

Then I walked into the area of Mellemværftet, and as the old ferry "Rjånes" now is cut, here are some important remains together with all the pictures and measurement they've done before breaking it up

Midship section

Last edited by Sterkoder; September 12th, 2011, 01:29.

Comment

Continuing the walk through Mellemværftet

After "Rjånes" is gone, there are now three emty slipways down there. To the left, you can see a replica of a 1800s crane

This is not a b/w photo, but the sad remains of a roing boat after a fire in the boat next to it...

Mellemværftets "tug", used when directing vessels onto the slipways

A sign given as a gift from old kristiansunders living in Oslo, calling themselves Baillgjengen (Baill: a type of fish dinner made of fish, potato, onion, flour, salt and such. This stew is made into small balls and heated in hot water for a periode of time, but not boiled though. It's very good!!! )

Comment

In the basement of Mellemværftet they have made four sort of small chambers, showing the history of the yard and some stuff from old sailing boats

Comment

From the site of these chambers, the view looked like this

Then I walked to the area where the harbour authorities is, point B on the map above. From there, I took this picture of the sundbåten dock at the main Pier, and in the background there, you can see the AMFI Storkaia Brygge shopping mall. The green building house the coffeebar Onkel og Vennene hans (Uncle and his friends) and it was also the old headquarter of the harbour authorities. The tallest building is Quality Grand Hotel.
                  (Is this PR for my city...? You bet!)

In front of the main entrance at the harbour authority building, called 'Nordmørsterminalen', are three old mooring buoys. Decorative they are...

Comment

Of my buoy images, this is the best..., in my opinion...

Also in the area of this terminal I took a picture of the "Oljevern 4".
                    The red and green (left) buildings there in the background are to be converted into a hotel. That's the plan anyway...

Tug "Abramis" of Trondheim had a visit

The old ferry dock for the ferry going to Bremsnes/Averøy is still here, and I belive it's also operational
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; September 12th, 2011, 00:39.

Comment

Close by the ferry dock is the small fueltanker "Grip Solar"

Control handles of the tanker

And as we can see on the vessels bell, the name was "Esso Marine" in the older days

From the buoys, the city looks like this

On my way back to the car, I passed by the unemployment- and social security office (or whatever it's called)

And in the office windows, I saw this. Note the signal red pilot boat...

Comment

The entrance to one of the very few shelters still left in this city was also passed on my way back

In a distance, the red old fireboat and Mellemværftet are visible

On the opposite side of Vågen and Mellemværftet is Kristiansund Mek., with the tugs "Oskar" and "Kar" today

And "Freyfaxi" on the slipway

Comment

Almost back to my car, I spotted what could be a beauty if someone took care of her, a Canberra speed boat

Looking south out the Vågen, fishing vessel "Trygvasson" is closest and then there are hundreds of pleasure crafts following behind

When back in my car, I drove over to Innlandet and Thon Hotel.
                          Here we see that the old sundbåt "Nordsund" now has got a proper step in front so that guests can enter easily.

Prop and rudder of "Nordsund"

Comment

Over by the Thon Hotel is also Arnulf Øverland Gallery located, together with Barcarole Tapas Bar & Restaurant.
                            This weekend we had a visit of the great norwegian artist Pushwagner ( http://www.pushwagner.no/?id=2 ) where he opened his first exhibition in Kristiansund ever.
                            I was fortunate enough to see this little man as he walked from the gallery to Thon Hotel as I took my pictures of "Nordsund".

Just inside the door, you can see a part of Pushwagners D.G.A. (Digital Graphic Artwork) 'Sunshine'. It's for sale (250 numbered and signed by the artist) for NOK 8.000,- with passepartout and frame.
                            Please also note the poem there on that grey board, by Arnulf Øverland. I know it's in norwegian, but in short, it says take care of the one you love today. Make them smile and be happy. This is the main happyness in life. It's one big sorrow though, that before you notice this, it might be too late. Nobody can ever stand beside a grave and complain, as the day has enough hours and the year has enough days.

Well..., my friends...., this has been a long walk, as I started to load pictures into my laptop and edit the one posted here at around 7:30 PM local, and the time now is just past 1:00 AM Monday. Hope you enjoyed the tour...
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; September 12th, 2011, 07:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                              ....Of my buoy images, this is the best..., in my opinion....
                              Totally agree!

I was also attracted to the one of the old shelter entrance framed with mossy rocks, appreciated the tour of the exhibition, was thrilled to see new images of places I visited as well as some ships with which I was unfamiliar…. and was touched by that poem of Arnulf Øverland.

Big thank you for my second CV “walk” this morning!

Comment

A very nice walk through a beautiful city Sterkoder!

Well done: compositions are superb. So much history and such a memorable town.... if I could find a job in that city, I would not hesitate to move there!

Comment

Working...
                                X