• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

Sharp, clear and well composed images.
    It was a pleasure to see this.
    Thank you, Bengt..., means alot to me!!
    You know, my buddy here with the boat also do photography.
    He got an old Nikon D200 with a Nikkor 18-200mm.
    When I said to him my days of using 'Auto' is long gone, and that I sometimes tend to struggle with 'Manual'..., he looked at me as if something grew out of my forehead and said; -"But why don't you use the P setting on your camera then...?"
    I did, and at least today, all "problems" seemed to fade away....
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Wow, what a great weather you had, and great pictures too!

Comment

Oh my…such a photo-scoop Sterkoder – Framnæs III is simply WONDERFULL.
        The craftsmanship in the woodwork is a delight to see. So good that they incorporated the original steam whistle.
        …and on to your views taken on the return…I don’t think it will be just me who says that your photography has taken yet another leap forward.

Oh that cloud over Stabben! ….and then that sublime panorama of sky and tranquil water with your boat in the foreground.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          Thank you, Bengt..., means alot to me!!
          he looked at me as if something grew out of my forehead and said; -"But why don't you use the P setting on your camera then...?"
          I did, and at least today, all "problems" seemed to fade away....
          That was a very good advice from your friend I must say
          I am using the "P" a lot (I called it the professional button )on my D7000 and I am very happy with that.

Comment

Well what do you know…there was much more on this thread that I hadn’t seen in when I was posting #548! I think it was because I wasn’t logged in to start with and then logged in to paste in my post…I hadn’t seen this page from #541 onwards!
            So when I wrote that “…your photography has taken yet another leap forward” I hadn’t seen the discussion about P setting!
            Well, I must say I feel so very terrible and annoyed with myself…I have been use P setting as my default for years…how could I have never explained this to you…not even when we were actually out taking photos together??????????? Maybe I had assumed you had tried it and were still getting exposure problems because of the metering spots or something, or that you thought of it as another version of auto which you wished to move away from in your quest to thoroughly understand the principles… Anyway, I want to say sorry…

Comment

This is OT, but I was surprised at the above post re the P setting as I've always thought of that as Auto, and speak of it as such, although there is no such option on the dial. Now I've learned something (nothing unusual!) as - out of the options of P, S, A and M on my camera I've practically always got it on P, although once or twice I've experimented with A. I use bracketing sometimes and and have started experimenting with spot metering and one or two other things, but I have practically everything to learn. Got to learn more before 8 Sep.! Wa-hey.
              So I'll no longer tell anyone that my camera is always on Auto!
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                Well what do you know…there was much more on this thread that I hadn’t seen in when I was posting #548! I think it was because I wasn’t logged in to start with and then logged in to paste in my post…I hadn’t seen this page from #541 onwards!
                So when I wrote that “…your photography has taken yet another leap forward” I hadn’t seen the discussion about P setting!
                Well, I must say I feel so very terrible and annoyed with myself…I have been use P setting as my default for years…how could I have never explained this to you…not even when we were actually out taking photos together??????????? Maybe I had assumed you had tried it and were still getting exposure problems because of the metering spots or something, or that you thought of it as another version of auto which you wished to move away from in your quest to thoroughly understand the principles… Anyway, I want to say sorry…
                Don't think about it, Cecilia, please...
                The 'Auto' on my Fuji worked perfect, the 'Auto' on my Pentax give only dark images. I never saw all the letters on the wheel as an alternative, only to get to know the use of 'Manual' deeper.
                I will tell you a little secret though...., I only used P in all images after the blue sailboat from the Netherlands. All images before that, was in 'Manual'...

Today we brought the puppy, or now rather, dog, out for a walk up to the center of the island Frei, where I live.
                On our way to the small hilltop we use to turn at, we passed this line of trees. Mountain Meekknoken in the background. That's the highest point at Averøy, 751 meters.

A little higher, you still see Meekknoken, with Kvernes and the old stavechurch at Kvernes below. Furthermore, you see the fjord to the left going in to Eide.

And on the top, we see the suspentionbridge in the Krifast connection, Gjemnessundet brifge, the 994 meters Reinsfjell mountain is just a cm outside of the left frame, and the spot on the fjord where ships use to anchor with the Frei chruch in the foreground

On that hilltop we walked to today, this stone with nice colours layed there just waiting to be photographed

Close-up. You can see red cranberries and blueberries
                Last edited by Sterkoder; August 21st, 2011, 17:39.

Comment

The Røsslyng (Heather, or what it's called in english) is nice in this time of the year. Røsslyng was selected the national flower of Norway in 1976.

An old root was laying around...

Then, someone have erected a stone there, reminding me (at first sight) of the stone faces at Easter Island

Comment

Well, well, seems like you were getting the hang of M in those light conditions and discovered P setting on the same day! It’s just great to see all that frustration phase a distant memory (I had just wished I could have shortened it)… but from look of things you’re going to have to start teaching me a thing or two.

I like these latest photos, and how enjoyable to see another perspective on all the scenery from the top hill of Frei, and then the plants and stones. Yes that is heather. It is also typical of Scotland in both purple and white varieties, the latter often thought of as “lucky”, but the national flower of Scotland is the thistle!
                    Oh and I had a similar reaction to that upright stone!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                      ….Can I be there for the presentation too... ?
                      Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      ….Yes, Jan-Olav...., those "last Thursday of the month-gatherings" are open to public, but the room only take 20-25 people, so you'd better hurry?….
                      Oh J-O……I think (if my calculations are correct and your fortnightly duty schedule doesn’t change) that you might not be able to make it to that lecture. (Same applies to what I think of as Ralf’s Nordnorge voyage too).

And dear Svein, that NN voyage isn’t the last of seagulls travels in 2011…I may be posting my “good luck with your lecture” wishes to you from further away than Scotland, but you can be sure the flying Seagull will be thinking about you on such an auspicious occasion.

Comment

I see Blueberries still there, although they may have "turned" by now and not as tasty as earlier in the season.
                        "Tyttebaer" (Lingon berries) is in season though and look ready for the picking.
                        What about "Multe" (Cloud berries)?? Are there some "secret" places up there for those??

Comment

Don't know of any cloud berries on the island of Frei (honestly..., I don't!).
                          But that might be because I have never understood the hysteria around that little orange thing filled with small stones/seeds sticking inbetween ones teeth.

Thanks for nice comments, cecilia...., I'm sure I will never be able to teach you anything about photography. At least not for a good periode of time..., if ever.
                          I'm experimenting each day.

Comment

Thank you for taking me with you on your boat tour. I always asked myself where these guys always are hurrying to, when they race with 27 knots...

Now i know... they ride to photo places with peaceful and calm sceneries and present a paradisic Norway.

But wait until you are there and hear all the 27 knot racers...

Last edited by Ralf__; August 22nd, 2011, 14:38.
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Hahahaha...., I know...
                              When I once had a boat myself, it did 6 knots, max.
                              If I should ever buy a boat again, it will be one doing max. 10 knots.
                              Now I see things a bit different.
                              The boat I was on board this weekend can also do 6-10 knots, and we did, for a long periode of time when we sat there with our coffee.
                              Then...., when going from A to B and further on to C...., it's beyond doubt that it's great to have 250BHP under the floor and 27-32 knots on the meter.... (a 'wink' smily of a certain size should've been incerted here).

BTW; the boat we used was not a designated racer..., more a family cruiser

That said, thanks for enjoying my images, and it was great to have you with me...!
                              Last edited by Sterkoder; August 22nd, 2011, 15:03.

Comment

Beautiful images S!

You have really become an ambassador to your fine city by the sea! You have no idea how much this kind of reports from Kristiansund (Christiansund) means in the world of advertising: the city should pay you to continue your endeavor!

Well done!
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X