Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    Oh yes, that man there is one proud and happy guy!
    And so must you be, Svein at being asked to present your photos. Well done, very well done.

There I will meet more proud people, I hope, expectedly not as nervous as me.
    No, you won't be as soon as you get the first picture up, enthusiasm will take over. You'll see.

(But how do I select 40-50 images out of over 8.000????)
    With great difficulty!!! Good luck.
    Last edited by wherrygirl; August 18th, 2011, 16:52.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Well, we have more and more famous and asked photographers in here!! Congratulations!
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Oh my, just how happy am I to see this!…and just how proud of our photographer/lecturer Sterkoder!
        If your presentation is anything like the Spotterplace Trail you took me on I can assure you it will be a VERY memorable evening for the Society!
        Congratulations! (…and that’s the second time I’ve had cause to say that to you today isn’t it! )

Comment

Thank you all, for great support and comforting comments!!

You know, when I was first asked, I sat down, made a file to put my selected frames in. Then got 112 pictures in before taking a break.
          During that break, because I had great plans to continue my selection, I started to think about the ammount of time I was granted: 30 to 45 minutes.

So that's the reason for stopping at maximum 50, because in addition to telling the audience the vessels names, I will also bring forward their history, just in a couple of lines or fewer words.
          With less than a minute per image, I suspect I will have enough to do...

Anyway, this societys meetings at the last Thursday of each month is usually open to the general public, so this might be my great breakthrough in getting my pictures (the ones that are nice enough to talk about)
          known to the people out there.
          The local group of the Norsk Skipsfartshistoriske Selskap meet every Tuesday and has a drop-in on Saturdays, then they have lectures on Thursdays.
          In example, 8. September, Gaute Myhre will have a lecture about "Nordenfjeldske Dampskipsselskap", 27. October there will be a former employee at Sterkoder Ship Yard holding a lecture called "Skips built at Sterkoder Mek. Verksted AS".
          (Suppose you'll see me in the audience at that one). But now we're maybe Off Topic again...?
          Last edited by Sterkoder; August 18th, 2011, 18:41.
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

This is fantastic news, Svein
            I am very proud on your behalf that you can show your photos from Kristiansund, and the stories behind each image in such event.
            A big congratulations to you.

Comment

Congratulations!

And BTV: You - Off Topic, is it possible?
              Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

A very big congratulations to you... you see, good things will always fall to good people!

Can I be there for the presentation too... ?
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you all, for positive words around my picture presentation coming up, thank you!
                  Yes, Jan-Olav...., those "last Thursday of the month-gatherings" are open to public, but the room only take 20-25 people, so you'd better hurry.

Now, a good friend called me today and asked me if I would want to come with him in his boat. I answered before he ended his sentense...
                  It was a great day at sea, and as he asked me where I wanted to go, I very much wanted to see "Framnæs III" laying in Skålvikfjord at Klevset Mek.
                  The trip took about 20 minutes in 27 knots.
                  Here's my first pictures ever of this new sundbåtferry

The woodwork is just breathtaking. I can assure you, a picture is not doing this work any justice. Must be seen in real life...

Funnel with the Sundbåten company logo (KkS: Kristiansund kommunale Sundbåtvesen. (Kristiansund Municipal Sundbåt Company) ).

The steam whistle is the original from the old "Framnæs III"

The doornobs are moulded in bronze

I almost can't wait to see this one in traffic on our harbour, and it feels a little bit like a child waiting for the christmas presents....
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; August 20th, 2011, 22:54.

Comment

We set course back to Kristiansund. This is the view out Skålvikfjord and the mountain in the background is the 908 meters high Stabben at Stabblandet east of Tustna. Here we sail at 355 degrees on the compass

It was quite a day today

Here's Stabben with its own cloud cap

Never seen so many herons at one place before, and never in trees...

Then we turned westward, and in a mirrorlike Vinjefjord, we can see Kristiansund in the far distance.

Comment

Freikollen to the left, Omsundet bridge in the middle and Kvernberget to the right

After a while, we sailed in the Markussundet inlet between Nordlandet (nicknamed Marokko) and Innlandet (nicknamed Tahiti) to the left. And what do you know..., there's "Nordnorge" at Devoldholmen

And at Nordlandet, where it last week said 'Toppidrettsveka' they have now put up 'Marokko' due to the upcoming Marokko Festival

The original ambulance boat "Øyvakt" at Smøla is away for maintenance, so "Intensiv" is hired to take care of medic transportation

Tug "Abramis" and cargo vessel "Tonny" at Vågekaia

Last edited by Sterkoder; August 20th, 2011, 23:15.

Comment

We sailed up behind "Nordnorge" around her stern and into Vågen

Vågen is a paradise for anyone interested in boats and shipping history.
                        Here's some privately owned vessels at Mellemværftet Shipyard

Former navy vessel, now owned by a company dealing with live stock fishfarms

Fishing vessel "Syormfuglen" up for maintenance at Kristiansund Mek.

Comment

The houses are small, cosy, white and very nice here also, not only at Sørlandet and Kristiansand

Then an elderly couple in a sail yacht from Groningen waved at us. Seems like everyone are friends at sea..., smiling and saying 'Hello' to eachother...

Before going back to the south side of Frei to moore this boat we were on board, we had to take onboard 180 liters of diesel.
                          Here's the local fuelboat, taking creditcards and made fully operational by boatowners themselves, just like fuelstations onshore. Easy...

On our way home, we passed "Ronja Superior", the live fish transporter

Comment

Across the inlet to Vågen from "Ronja Superior" is Milnbrygga, the klippfish museum in Kristiansund

Coming up to Omsundet, the straight between Kristiansund and Frei.

Haven't sailed under these bridges since I had a boat of my own. Then I had a cruiseing speed of 6 knots. Today we flew under doing 27....

Navaids in the narrowest part of Omsundet, close to Seivika where the carferries sail over to Tustna

Speaking of which...., here we see "Bjørnsund" just leaving Seivika.

Final image of today, the cannon of WW II at Kvalvika Fort, as seen from the seaside...

Comment

Oh, and I almost forgot:
                              In Vågen we also saw the beautifully restored old rescue vessel "Christiansund" now being a charterboat owned by the city, used very much by schools to educate youths about seamanship and such

And this classic motor yacht "Linn", just in to its new owner here in Kristiansund from its former owner in Oslo.
                              She was built by Brødrene Aa in 1965, and at present time equipped with a Scania V8 500 BHP midship mounted engine powering a single axle screw, giving this 49 foot vessel a cruisespeed of 17 knots, 23 knots max. She has a deplasement of 11 tonns.

Finally, I promise, I've made you a map, making it easier for you to follow me and my photography of the day
                              Last edited by Sterkoder; August 21st, 2011, 00:20.

Comment

I must say, this was fantastic images from Kristiansund and surrounding areas.
                                Sharp, clear and well composed images.
                                It was a pleasure to see this.
                                And to top it,you got yourself a mighty fine boat trip on a great day.
                                Thanks for the trip and some great photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X