This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

A café and a place people rent whenever they need room to celebrate something, the Håndtverkeren

A part of the building where the Klippfiskbutikken, (which has been in the basement of the City Hall up until now), will move in

Then there were some traffic on our harbour, here seen from the Bautaen (city cannons, you know) at Innlandet.
    The orange/yellow offshore vessel is "Edda Fonn". Cargo vessel "SC Aberdeen" on her way out and sundbåten "Angvik" on its way from Kirklandet to Innlandet

"Edda Fonn" is moored at Devoldholmen, the place where hurtigruten use

Out in the ship lane, we see southbound hurtigrute "Trollfjord" on her way from Trondheim to Kristiansund

"Trollfjord" inbound via Sørsundet
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

To the east, we have the place I work..., Vestbase

Houses in the city, the Kirkelandet church from 1964 and the white tower Varden

Then, in another thread, I mentioned that 'Seagull' might be in for a treat.
      See if you can spot the "treat" that I downright forgot early this morning

Yepp, I had to go out and make everything right. Here's "Discovery" in Kristiansund today..., and I'll continue to post the rest in this thread despite we have a dedicated cruiseship thread.

And what if it were a toy placed in some sort of diorama...?

Comment

"SC Aberdeen" passing "Discovery" on her way northbound

Cruiseship quay, church and Varden relative to each other

"Trollfjord" enters our harbour

Had to go over to a couple of other spotting points, and here I used the pier over at ResQ at Innlandet, not far from Thon Hotel
        Last edited by Sterkoder; August 4th, 2011, 01:57.

Comment

Now, to "make up" for my forgetting this ship arriving today, I had to go to a spot where I could get a few "spectacular" shots: the top of the shopping mall parking house

The one thing I spotted here, was that old water tap to the right of the bridge door

Time for "Trollfjord" to depart and go to Molde
          Last edited by Sterkoder; August 4th, 2011, 01:59.

Comment

If you look closely, you can actually spot the shadow of the head of a certain photographer

All kind and sizes of boats and ships use the harbour

Then it was down by the ship at the quay

And some came back from different happenings around town and from bus tours, maybe to the Atlantic Road, for all I know
            Last edited by Sterkoder; August 4th, 2011, 01:02.

Comment

I have one more image I want to show you.
              Tried out my 10-17mm fish-eye from the parking house roof, and knowing it was only about 30-40 meters over to the ship, of course I KNEW it would not work. But anyway, this wraps up my "Discovery" images this time, and I promise, if I'm in town..., I will never forget a cruiseship again!
              Last edited by Sterkoder; August 4th, 2011, 01:52.

Comment

Seagull is jumping up and down with delight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There isn't even a smiley for this, and “Treat” is understatement….

But you know, if you look at that third photo with Edda Fonn and SC Aberdeen, you could almost believe that sundbåten Angvik is turning into a flying Seagull!!!

Now if you hadn’t forgotten to go out earlier in the day you would most likely not have gone out later and just LOOK what you would have missed!….Talk about being in the right places at the right time! If you could have enlisted the assistance of a giant troll to place Edda Fonn and Trollfjord in the most perfect positions for that photo #516/5, the panorama looking out to the shipping lane, it would look EXACTLY like this! “Picture perfect” as the saying goes.

So then of course you are ready for TF at Sørsundet, so nicely framed by bridge and foreground bushes. The passengers out on deck 6 forward will be taking some nice photos too.

Looks busy at Westbase. And then I like the framing of the next image …the placing of the tower and the church, but also importantly that line of pink buildings and the yellow gable end in shadow just above it on the right, the bright yellow and creamy pale yellow buildings on the left, and the white gable end in the foreground. Any view from here in that direction would be ok, but it is these little things which make it better than just ok!

And then Treat of Treats…well what can I say. Thank you is not adequate for so perfect a panorama with BOTH my two special ships.

Trying to control by excitement at seeing my ships and my (! oops… your) spotterplaces again I am now looking at the similar #517/4 and 5 and switching to photo feedback mode. Definitely voting for the first…it looks a more balanced composition with the line of Storkaia on the right leading the eye in towards Discovery. It is also the better exposed of the two…possibly because of the dominating whiteness of the ship and the brightly lit foreground roof in photo 5. Look back at 4, and you see the tiles of that bright roof, sky colour, and the ship looking fine in both shade and sun lit areas.

Wouldn’t it be fun to play with toy ships in a model Kristiansund!

In #518 I like the ship, with the emphasis of the funnel and the sunny aft deck in relation to the town buildings. Then views of my ships together again…so happy…

Hey Big S, stand tall and be proud of your self for that image of Discovery you took from ResQ pier. Perfectly composed and exposed. Just look how the light catches the railings next to the bridge wings, and those reflections in the windows, and the reflection of the funnel in the water.

I can’t believe it… the treats continue!!! …I am delighting in the spectacular specials; that top deck of Discovery from the top deck of the car park…just how brilliant is that idea and so perfectly executed. Pakarang has talked about “different” views of ships, and this is a winner.

Those bridge wings were such a pleasure on my cruise…I spent a LOT of time looking down from the deck above, exactly there on the top left of your #519/2. Also by the divider railing – there are stairs convenient for moving between these positions and you can see all this on your #519/5.
                Ah you spotted the tap! (of course you did ). Love the shadow it makes from where you’re looking.

And so you were positioned ready for Trollfjord’s departure, and another Sterkoder “portrait format” masterpiece in #520/3, bows pointing perfectly.

You should see my big smile today…looks just like Discovery in that final flourish!

Comment

Don't know where to start to comment your comment, so I'll just say that I read it with delight. So glad you enjoyed these photos, something else would've been strange
                  Now, looking through my files again and this time zooming in from time to time, it's rather disappointing that a cruise company don't bother to put a correct name of their destination up on the "be back on board"-sign.
                  This citys name start with a K guys!!!

Comment

It's time for the sport event TOPPIDRETTSVEKA (Elite Sport Week) (Ooooo, my english is baaaaaad) in Kristiansund again.
                    This time we also have the World Championship in rollerskis, and its all broadcasted by Norwegian Broadcasting Corp. (NRK1) and EuroSport.
                    Guess NRK WebTV is always there as an alternative.

Like Hollywood promote itself, we promote Toppidrettsveka in our town

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      They do know how to fly their flags on the Discovery. Courtesy flag on Stbd., company flag on Port.
                      But is that Norwegian flag in correct proportions???
                      Looks like a "Jack" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                        I have one more image I want to show you.
                        Tried out my 10-17mm fish-eye from the parking house roof, and knowing it was only about 30-40 meters over to the ship, of course I KNEW it would not work. But anyway, this wraps up my "Discovery" images this time, and I promise, if I'm in town..., I will never forget a cruiseship again!
                        .... absolutely awesome shot.... if I was a fish, on land, this is what I would see...
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

'ombugge' :

I agree, the norwegian flag looks like a 'Jack' there, but I belive we are slightly fooled by the wind making the flag to wave just as I press the button.

Comment

The copy (not exactly quite right) of the old sundbåtferry "Framnæs III" in Kristiansund finally got salt water under her keel last week.
                            It's not a copy, because the original had a bolted hull whereas this one is welded, the original was smaller, this one is built to meet todays standards, the original was powered by steam, this one by diesel.
                            Anyway, the original came from Hudson river, where many of the ferries look like this today, via Oslo to Kristiansund.
                            Here's a video (norwegian speaking) of the project of getting water under her keel. (And look at the interior)

http://www.tk.no/video/article5701747.ece

Comment

What a wonderful vessel! The interior is outstanding. And look at this proud Einar Saether!
                              This is a great project!
                              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Oh yes, that man there is one proud and happy guy!
                                Mr. Sæther is the former chaiman of the Norwegian Shipping Historical Society (Norsk Skipsfartshistorisk Selskap).
                                This society has discovered my images from kristiansunds harbour area, and I'm asked to make a short presentation Thursday 24. November called "With camera walking along the quays of Kristiansund - 'my name' presents a few of his pictures".
                                There I will meet more proud people, I hope, expectedly not as nervous as me.
                                Guess I will know more about this "Framnæs III" then...

(But how do I select 40-50 images out of over 8.000????)

Comment

Working...
                                X