X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

Close-up of that old birch

A beautiful old stone wall

To commemorate H. Brinchman. (Have to come back to you with more info)

You can relax your feet if you want to...

It was such a beautiful light here today. This is on a cloudy day, so just imagine how it will be in sunlight

Towards the city and where I took my first picture here today
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

To commemorate City Engineer Carl Gustaf Bëckström, 'erected by a thankful city'...., as the small text say

The pond where we use to feed birds seen from this stone. We also see the top of our main church

An old kindergarten rebuilt to a cosy café, 'Bestemors Hage' (Grandmas Garden)

We also have a little statue like the Manneken Pis in Brussels

The birdfeeding pond of Vanndamman

A transformerstation in the area
      Last edited by Sterkoder; July 24th, 2011, 00:49.

Comment

A popular statue of a deer close to 'Bestemors Hage' café

The main church, Kirkelandet Kirke, from north

The church from south

A commemorative plaque for the sailors who gave their lives in the two world wars

This is, in my view, the sadest statue we have here. It stands to commemorate the 18 jews from Kristiansund killed in Auschwitz in WW2.
        Unveiled 29th June 2003. Had to wipe a tear....

Comment

In the city park, Nerparken, is the sculpture of the jumping Nise. Nise is some sort of a dolphin, called Phocoena phocoena in latin

In the crossing between Langveien and Olav V's gate is this little girl with her bike

A view from further up Langveien toward the Art Society

Comment

From Olav V's gate toward the main church

The waterfall modelled after the city crest. Year 1742 was when Kristiansund became a city.

One last view of the park

Finally I'll give you a picture of the stone erected in 1992 to commemorate the visit of Her Majesty Queen Margrethe and Prins Henrik of Denmark and Her Majesty Queen Sonja and His majesty King Harald during Kristiansunds 250 years anniversary.

Thank you for walking along with me today. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did...

Comment

Svein...I too needed to get out today, and so although I had prepared things for this thread (photos , text, everything ready) I didn't post them. You will hardly believe what I had ready, as I could hardly believe what you just showed me...
              I will post it exactly as prepared in the morning.

Comment

Great pictures from your hometown, Sterkoder
                It was comfortable and quiet to accompany you on your photography walk.

When one thinks of the terrible tragedy that have happened in Oslo and on Utøya, it was nice to be able to see through the images to find peace after all the terrible events and images that all media have shown us the last day.

Thanks for a great walk through the city.

Comment

Thank you, Bengt!
                  So nice to kind of stand together this week-end....

Also drove over to Thon Hotel to take a closer look at what they had going around the sundbåt "Nordsund" from post #447-1.
                  It seems like they are now in good progress of building a stair up to the sundbåt cabin, which will be used for small meetings, kick-offs, pre-party meetings and more..., and it will be the main piece in the new sundbåt museum

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                    Thank you, Bengt!
                    So nice to kind of stand together this week-end....
                    Svein, Bengt, dear friends, thank you for your thoughts and words, and for that sense of being together.

Here comes what I had prepared to post yesterday…

Comment

A strange experience. I’d clicked to continue on the Kristiansund thread from “last post”, miss-aimed or something, and suddenly find myself scrolling down the first page of the thread. It took me a moment to realise what had happened…what I was seeing…
                      …the colourful Swedish houses along Vuggaveien, the watchtower, the new church with the old house beside it – pakarang’s images from February 2009. The same but different….

I loved this street. It had looked interesting on the map and it was even more so in reality.

Comment

Sterkoder has told some history back in #22, after seeing pakarang’s photos.

…and then on my walk I came across this absolutely fascinating information.

Comment

Comment

Still in pakarang’s footsteps, the watchtower and the view from Varden.

Comment

I sat on that seat on the right for a while before continuing.

There are so many paths and places to explore up here…rocks and stones too!

Comment

Any kind of controlling of water has always interested me since childhood, and I seem to have been naturally drawn to old reservoirs around Kristiansund on my first visit to the city. This is Gravemdammen, constructed in 1908 by Karl Gustav Bäckström.

Those seagulls just stayed standing there and looking around the whole time, like me together with a friend on a photo walk!

Comment

Working...
                                X