No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I could of course continue like this in chronological order, which would bring the views from our spotter places tour in sunny weather up first, and go on to the subsequent days of my independent explorations when the weather was sometimes…ok, mostly…cloudy and showery.

But I am not going to do this!

You already know the outline of my time in Kristiansund from the Seagull away a while thread.
    The impressions of a (hurtigruten stops excepted) first time visitor are I think best conveyed if I just drip feed you daily with a few apparently randomly selected photos…just things that caught my eye, though the “classic spotter place views” will be in there too.

But let me first pose a rhetorical question: “Where is the centre of Kristiansund?”
    And my answer would be “In the harbour of course!”

Sterkoder has provided many maps in this thread, so you know there are bridges linking everywhere up. But there in the harbour the sundbåts still operate…that is the WONDERFUL thing, and for me if you understand the harbour and the sundbåts, then I think you start to really understand Kristiansund.

So here are some sundbåt photos…

New life beginning for an old boat.

New sundbåt Angvik:

Comment

You can go up on the outside deck and enjoy the view – it’s like a harbour tour! Indeed you can hop on and off, visiting the various islands, and there are tourist brochures describing what there is to see, and also day tickets if you want to keep on going around! But the great thing is the locals use it too as you can clearly see here:

Photos I intended to take but didn’t get round to taking were the children’s drawings of the boats shown on the flat screen, along with a sequence of old photos, in between the information and adverts. And also the children’s books lying around to read ….I love Sundbåten Syver!!!!!

Comment

I’d postponed my intentions to spend more time on Angvik’s deck taking photos, but a shower turned to really heavy rain, and next day a different boat and experience awaited me… old sundbåt Rapp!

Don’t you just love the old style interior! I was so thrilled I got to sail on Rapp!

Comment

Comment

Re: This is Kristiansund

Now that is indeed a tourist view of Kristiansund!! We all know the sundboats, but who would notice the interior than a Seagull tourist? For local people this is every day's surrounding, so why take pictures? I bet you are already very satisfied, Sterkoder!! And still so many views to come!!

I am completely thrilled by this!!! Sundboats... like a tramway on the water...

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Yes, I'm in the beginning of being satisfied

You know, the reason I want to see a tourists (Cecilia in this case) view on Kristiansund, and read what a tourist comment, is among other things to get good arguements when I'm asked: -"What's the point in getting more cruiseships to Kristiansund? We have nothing to offer anyway".

'Seagull's report looks great so far, and when she said she liked the old fasion interior of "Rapp", I'll give you a good news;
              An even older sundbåt (a newbuilt replica of the old sundbåt ferry 'Framnæs') will soon enter our harbour, both as a sundbåt and as a charter boat.

Link to pictures of 'Framnæs' :
              http://framnaes.no/om-framnaes/prese...en-ved-klevset

Photo taken by Jan Erik Rolland/via Brunsvika.net

Even if it will be propelled by a diesel engine, an original steam machine will be mounted inside. "Framnæs" served as a sunbåt between 1917 and 1951. The original "Framnæs" ended its days in Nord-Trøndelag as a barge
              This photo also by Jan Erik Rolland/via Brunsvika.net
              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Oh I do like what I see there of this Framnæs project – good news indeed!
                To summarise how I feel about the sundbåts – well, its like hurtigruten in miniature…you all know how I love TF and NX, and am quite enthusiastic about NN too! Similarly I love being out on Angvik’s top deck, AND I love the traditional interior of Rapp, AND Framnæs looks to have appealing aspects also! I think she has rather vintage tram-like features fore and aft Ralf, don’t you agree?!

Not so sure I could ever be considered to be a “typical” tourist however…especially anywhere in Scandinavia!

I’d been intending to post more photos in this thread today, and a bit more about Discovery too, and some 366 photos, but most of the afternoon has been at D’s who has decided to go to the weather satellite conference in September after all – I was going anyway – so I spent this afternoon booking travel and arrangements in OSLO!!!!!!!

Comment

I think she has rather vintage tram-like features fore and aft Ralf, don’t you agree?!
                  Looks like the San Francisco trams..., on water...., doesn't it...?
                  (But the sundbåten in Kristiansund is older)
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; July 21st, 2011, 11:11.

Comment

Cecila, i am far off describing you as a "typical tourist"!! But you have the time to recognize the special views of the daily things. People, who are living there, don't see this anymore. That is, what Sterkoder and i wanted to express.

So, you are booking Oslo again... it seems, your Scandinavian vacation rhythm is close to each eight weeks this year. Respect!!

Yes it is the mainly the interior, that reminds on tramways, but also her exterior is similar designed. This is not really surprising, because the purpose is very similar.
                    Last edited by Ralf__; July 21st, 2011, 09:15.
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I love the idea of my having a Scandinavian vacation rhythm Ralf!!!! Yes, that explains a lot about me!

I was particularly interested in what Sterkoder mentioned about tourists from cruise ships, which is a bit different from other kinds of tourists who have different time scale, accommodation requirements etc. I only really thought about cruise tourists since I went on Discovery and experienced both organised excursions and free time in places I knew and others I didn’t….still a lot to digest and think about before I can give Sterkoder some answers. (The most “similar” destination, away from the well known capital cities with their obvious attractions, on that cruise was actually KristiansAnd!!!! )

Comment

Just to clear things up a bit:

My personal definition of "tourist" is:

Any person not living in Kristiansund visiting the city for the sole purpose of vacation/experience a new place.
                        It can be a foreign person, or it can be a norwegian person.
                        If that person arrives by car, plane, ferry, cruiseship, hurtigrute, bike, motorcykle, feet, bus, taxi or whatever is in this case irrelevant.

Comment

This is a marvellous CVF OT delight!
                          Svein my friend, I can see we will never agree on defining “tourist”! But I think I might, just might be able to suggest that a foreign cruise tourist could be a little bit different from the rest in the example of my recent Baltic cruise and the port call in Kristiansand.
                          I’m quite sure that no one on that cruise chose it because it went to Kristiansand…they chose it because it went to St. Petersburg. Having been taken there via Norway, they found that Kristiansand was actually rather enjoyable! Some might even return from choice and by other modes of transport as another kind of tourist in the future! Good for the city isn’t it! Now substitute “Norwegian fjords” for St.Petersburg, Kristiansund for Kristiansand….

Comment

OT is fun!!!

A tourist is in my mind as I suggested above, then of course there are different kind of tourists; the cruiseship kind, your kind, the week-end visitor from Oslo kind and so on...

Comment

Not a single gull alighted here as I watched and waited…

…they were all nesting and resting here!!!!!

Comment

Not exactly a tourist snapshot, but I like the architecture of this building at the cemetery…

I was impressed to read on a sign board how local volunteers had built the path up to the top of the hill on the island Innlandet where the salute canons and battle monument are located. The path was opened in 1933 with the intention of making “the path and the area around the stone monument easily accessible to citizens and tourists”.

Comment

Working...
                                X