This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

I do agree: the B&W of the mooring rope looks way better than the color version. Interesting shots!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Interesting to read what an elderly couple has to say about Kristiansund, after arriving here by their own sailboat and staying here for a few days.
      Thank you, Carol and James!!

Here's their blog:
      http://paddington2011.blogspot.com/2...stiansund.html
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Made myself a good 30 minutes of quality time today, as I made a short walk down at the Mellemværftet Fartøyvernforening to take some pictures.
        Selfish to make myself quality time....?
        Don't think so: after a long talk with my photographer expert and Pentax salesman, the norwegian Pentax guru Mr. Roseth, mowing two lawns, fixing a garage gate, listening to my better half and daughter trying to raise a puppy dog, shopping in a crowded store and so on...., I needed this
        (The talk with the Pentax guru calmed me down though, as I might NOT have damaged my sensor).

ANYWAY...., here are my images from today, starting with a kutter that must be "Engvig" (without me being totally sure about that)

Then we have "Balder"

Can't name this right now. Will have to come back to that...

The old car ferry "Rjånes" on the slipway. I really liked the greenish water beneath her stern here...

Detail from "Rjånes"

Comment

The white chalk notes on the "Rjånes" hull indicates they have started the work to measure her up before dismantling. Her keel has also "slipped" off the slipway..., possibly deliberate.

This picture of the car ferry "Tustna" and live fish carrier "Sørdyrøy" about to be put back on sea after some maintenance on shore, I just took due to the "fun" discovery of their clourlines floating together.
          Border between black/white and red/white. Other than that, this picture also show the main dock at Mellemværftet and the nice place for the boat owners and members of Mellemværftet to have a coffeebrake, barbque-party or something.

Comment

Could've posted this in the Navy-vessels thread, but since there are so many images from me and this was a special occation in my home town, I post in this thread.
            Today, and tomorrow, Royal Norwegian Navy frigate F313 "Helge Ingstad" visit Kristiansund.
            I'm still running around with my old camera, and here are my images;

From Nordlandet

From Innlandet

From Innlandet/Thon Hotel

(The orange and yellow building there, marked H&M, is the parking house from where I took my next five images)

A lecture on deck about the battle on our harbour back in 1808

Comment

Nordsundet bridge and the mountains at Tustna in the background

Comment

A close-up of the stealthy construction. It was almost so that I didn't see it.... (tssssss)

What should we have done without windshield wipers?

A bow study with Nordlandet in the background

This is how the vessel looks in the city scenery...

....with our little icon "Rapp" the sundbåt in front
                Last edited by Sterkoder; June 26th, 2011, 03:06.

Comment

And since we are in Kristiansund, could there be any greater place for a restaurant and bar?
                  This is Bryggekanten Brasserie & Bache Bar at Storkaia

Situated not fra from the city senter and Pier, with Gomalandet in the background

Comment

And what do we see from the roof of the parking house across the harbour towards Innlandet...?
                    Well, let me help you out by showing you all this image, with my own notes, sadly not made clickable.
                    But I'm sure you all will find the webpages anyhow

NOTE: The misspelling Tahity should read Tahiti...., just to mention it so that I don't need to make a new image.
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; June 26th, 2011, 02:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      And since we are in Kristiansund, could there be any greater place for a restaurant and bar?
                      This is Bryggekanten Brasserie & Bache Bar at Storkaia
                      With a roof structure simulating a "fiskeflak", used to cover the "Klippfisk" when stacked in wet weather.
                      There used to be hundreds of these scattered along the beaches around Aalesund and Kristiansund. Now only seen in museums I presume?

Here is an example of such a "fiskeflak":

And some pictures of how they were used during sun-drying of "Klippfisk" in the old days.
                      Salted Cod, imported mostly from Lofoten and Finnmark in the spring, was spread out on rocks during sunny days:

In the evening, or if rain was threatening, the fish was stacked and covered:

Here is some "stacks" covered by tarpaulin and "fiskeflak" and some "Klippfisk" laid out to dry:

This process took from 4 to 6 weeks, depending on the number of sunny days. The finished product was brought to Aalesund or Kristiansund, sold to exporters to be packed and branded for export, mainly to Portugal, Spain, Italy and Brasil, where it is known as "Bacalao Norvegia" and is eaten in may different ways.

As can be seen from the above pictures, most of this work was done by women and children, hence the monument "Klippfisk Kjerringa" in Kristiansund.

This is still a major industry around Aalesund and Kristiansund, but the salted fish is artificially dried using hot air and infrared light to simulate sunlight.

I don't know if any actually sun-dried "Klippfisk" can be found anymore?

PS> This should NOT be confused with the more popularly known and seen "Fiskegjeller":

Where mostly codfish is hung up to be wind dried, without any salt being added. The only "marinating" is Seagull droppings.
                      This has to be done in the late winter or early spring, when the air is still cool and there are no insects around.

The end product of that process is called "Stokkfisk" and largely exported to Africa, while the top quality goes for local consumption as "Lutefisk", or just plain "Torrfisk". Last sorting goes as dog food.
                      Last edited by ombugge; June 26th, 2011, 05:07.

Comment

Ah…more fascinating history from Ombugge (I just came from the Ålesund thread ).
                        And Sterkoder, what can I say?…whatever made you produce that terrific annotated photo of Innlandet today?
                        Well, you see, a certain seagull is going to be at the Thon hotel around Sunday 10 July!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Heeeeey..., how great is that!!!!!!!!

I like to belive that my PR of the Thon Hotel pays off...??

Anyway, our chief of tourism and travel (reiselivssjef) Mr. R. Harsvik say in the Saturday local paper that each and everyone of us should take pride and responsibility in promoting our home town....., and if I haven't done that by sending this thread around the globe, I don't know what else I could be doing
                          Remember J-O once told me that I have done more for the promotion of Kristiansund to potential tourists than I could imagine.
                          I never asked how, but it would be interesting to know one day what all this Kristiansund advertising in this forum means...., if there are one or more visiting on the basis of CVF...? Could that actually be...?

Anyway, my dear 'Seagull'..., we must meet in July then!!

And to 'Ombugge' :
                          I'm forever thankful for your presentation on the idea behind the bar and restaurant roof, as you are quite correct.
                          Often thought about telling the story about the 'klippfisk', drying it on the rocks, the stacking and the 'fiskeflak' but never got to find out how to.
                          You did a great job!!

The 'fiskeflak', by the way, is as you suggest now only in museums, and in fact used as roof of some small garden houses, outdoor summer restplaces in private homes and such. Not many, but some...

Comment

Kvalvik Fort (Fort Kvalvik) is a fortress from WW2 made by russian prisoners of war for the germans, who needed a strongpoint here as this is the inlet to the fjords in Nordmøre region.
                            Kvalvik is just a 5 to 10 minutes drive from my home, so I decided to go there tonight to take pictures of the huge sea crane "Saipem 7000".

A Willys Overland Jeep parked just at the gate down to the fortress

Have posted images of this mini submarine before, but now they have put two torpedo replicas on the sides, and it is more finished than last time

My Samsung 10-17mm lense works perfect

Last edited by Sterkoder; July 5th, 2011, 23:00.

Comment

A cannon (not working) at the fortress with "Saipem 7000" in the background

The cannon again. This particular one is a real cannon from the war, but not connected to Kvalvik Fort. Put here just for display.

Comment

Excellent! I do like this looking down a gun barrel view! Great place, great weather, and most of all GREAT PHOTOS

(…and I’m getting excited about spending time in your city at last, Civic Ambassador Sterkoder! I set off later today…see you Saturday )

Comment

Working...
                                X