This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    On shore for maintenance at one of the many leisure craft harbours in Kristiansund, is an old beauty. Don't know its name or age though...., but might find out...

Beautiful lines on this boat... from what I can see, the hull is wooden.

If restored meticulously, this would be a pure beauty!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Yes, Jan-Olav..., this is a beauty, BUT; only when we talk about the hull...
      I don't like the cabin on top, as it reminds me of a caravan from the 1950s or something, with a window design not to my taste.
      The hull though, is what we call "kravellbygget", meaning that the hull is smooth when finished.
      (Still waiting for more info)
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I'm so inspired by the now finished Nordic Light Int. Festival of Photography, and I've discovered how much more a picture tell me when in b/w, I'm completely in love with the b/w image!!!!
        Next year I might use a couple of days of my holiday to really enjoy the festival....., but anyway, here are some images from a drive around Kristiansund today, and since Frei became a part of the city a few years back, there are also a couple from there

An area around the extention of the airport runway, where there are both salt and fresh water ('brakkvann' in norwegian)

I had to make a quick stop, as this bird was discovered around a corner

A little zoom up in honor of "our" seagull

You've seen this old building in the old forum, but not in b/w. I just love it!!!!

On my way to Frei, I stopped by to take a couple of overview images at Vestbase

Fish-Eye lense, and my workplace in the lower right corner...

Comment

South of Frei, at the official anchoring spot, were two tankers: The closest one is "Carry" and the one in the back is "Stavanger Eagle"

Just had to reverse my car to take a picture in b/w of the plowed acre..., and having those two trees in the frame was deliberate...

Comment

I’m so impressed with the excitement you’re feeling about the black&white photos, and the inspiring experience of the photography festival.
            …and I’m delighted by my special zoomed in portrait among those reflections.

I don’t recollect getting such a great overall impression of Vestbase before –those are two terrific views.

Oh, some more coming up just as I was going to post this…(finding CV is behaving very slow this morning for some reason.) The fields with the perfectly placed trees is magnificent!
            Last edited by Seagull; May 9th, 2011, 08:46. Reason: my slow CV was a problem here with the cable modem – now sorted.

Comment

I've thought about stopping here by the Rensvikvannet for I don't know how long.
              I pass this spot every day when driving for work, and the early morning sun makes all sorts of great sceneries here.
              Today, I decided that enough was enough and stopped my car. Grabbed my camera and walked over to the lake shore at a quarter past seven and fired away

The images are taken towards west, and the distant mountain you see a part of, is Freikollen, as I belive you've seen before (among other places, in the Vestbase picture further up from here).

This estate, with the red boat house, lawn all the way down to the lake, fruit trees and a brand new house (after a fire a few years back) is for sale (hint-hint...., anyone...)

EDIT:
              It's not my intention to use CVF as a channel to promote this estate, but since we can't see the house in my images, and I do want to show you the house (because I want it myself), please let me post a link to the sales prospect with a lot of beautiful images. Anyone got NOK 3.590.000,- to spare???
              http://www.eiendomsmegler1.no/em1/Ha...stateid=499960
              Last edited by Sterkoder; May 9th, 2011, 17:51.

Comment

WHAT,

you haven't bought that place yet.

what is WRONG with you, you areCHICKEN??
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  EDIT: It's not my intention to use CVF as a channel to promote this estate, but since we can't see the house in my images, and I do want to show you the house (because I want it myself), please let me post a link to the sales prospect with a lot of beautiful images. Anyone got NOK 3.590.000,- to spare???

http://www.eiendomsmegler1.no/em1/Ha...stateid=499960
                  If I had that kind of money in my mattress, I think this would be a good contender to be my home.... beautiful!

I loved your "plowed acre" image very well... that was a very pleasing image with a great composition!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

WOW...., FANTASTIC!!!!

Here's a new short film from www.visitkristiansund.com, made for the purpose of free use by tourist businesses and private persons to promote our lovely Nordmøre and Kristiansund.

Comment

A very nice and very professional production.

To see the Atlantic Road from the air is so much better from the road itself!

Comment

The old crane from the 1920s over at the pier near Thon Hotel at Innlandet

Comment

Re: This is Kristiansund

A warehouse in the background of the "Frøytind" bow

A bundle of new rope on the quay near "Frøytind"

(They actually look like this, but I thought b/w would do better)

And some new anchors to hold the live salmon fishnets (Merde, in norwegian)

Also on the fish terminal, a container with a logo which quickly sent my thoughts back to around the 1940s or something.
                          It's ok to have an eagle in a company logo, but.......

Comment

That last is the logo of American President Lines, a company with a long and distinguished history as a US Flag Carrier. Now owned by Neptune Orient Lines, Singapore, and known simply as APL Ltd.

It is the world's 4 largest Container Shipping Line with a worldwide network for intermodal transportation and one of the largest inland transport companies in the US.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia page about APL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_President_Lines

And some more history: http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman...dent_lines_ltd

The APL ships of the 1960s and 70s were very distinct and easily recognized as such. Her is a typical APL Ship of the time:

Sorry, only a model but fairly descriptive of US C3 and C4 type ships, of which APL owned and operated a lot.

Sorry to go OT in the Kristiansund thread. I think I have posted something about APL in another thread not so long ago.

Comment

Sorry to go OT in the Kristiansund thread.
                              It's quite all right!
                              We should go OT whenever needed and natural for the development of "the way we go" in a thread.
                              Your info was very interesting. Thanks!!!!

Comment

My post was actually in direct reply to your remark; "a logo which quickly sent my thoughts back to around the 1940s or something.
                                It's ok to have an eagle in a company logo, but......."

That indicated to me that you associated the eagle with the Nazi symbol.
                                While this eagle logo is also from the 1940s or so, when the American Government took over and re-named the company, it was the symbol of an American company, running much of American shipping on behalf of the US Government during WWII and the Korean War under this logo. (Slightly modified since then)

So, a direct development of the thread. Now back to you with more pictures from Kristiansund, please.

Comment

Working...
                                X