Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AGREED, Big S!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks, E...., it was my honest opinion!

Here's a link (also to our local newspaper) where you can take a looksee around the small island Grip north of Kristiansund.
      The paper has made a 360 degrees panorama of the popular tourist place.
      (There's a vessel going to and from Grip twice a day during the tourist season. This is the "Gripexpressen" which I've posted pictures of other places earlier).

It has to be mentioned thoug, that the 360 degree camera is mounted on a breakwater west of the harbour at Grip. The harbour where among others "Gripexpressen" arrives, is situated behind those houses you see there.

Link: http://www.tk.no/billedserier/panora...cle5572716.ece
      Last edited by Sterkoder; April 20th, 2011, 00:01.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

And since you've all seen the white old warehouse Thon Hotel over at Innlandet here in Kristiansund, I can now present an image taken FROM the hotel towards the Sørsundet (where the hurtigruten come and go) and the sunset.
        The furniture of Thon Hotel in this image and the dock there will be bathed in sunshine as the time moves closer and closer to summer.
        (Ref. my second image of post #385, which is the image the opposite way of the below one)

Picture taken by: Gøran Mortensen via Tidens Krav

As I've said before, Thon Hotel has got so much PR from me over the timeperiode since its opening, but I mean...., if you're interested in ships, shipping, harbour activity and such, there simply are no other alternatives in this city
        Last edited by Sterkoder; April 19th, 2011, 19:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          Thanks, E...., it was my honest opinion!

Here's a link (also to our local newspaper) where you can take a looksee around the small island Grip north of Kristiansund.
          The paper has made a 360 degrees panorama of the popular tourist place.
          (There's a vessel going to and from Grip twice a day during the tourist season. This is the "Gripexpressen" which I've posted pictures of other places earlier).

It has to be mentioned thoug, that the 360 degree camera is mounted on a breakwater west of the harbour at Grip. The harbour where among others "Gripexpressen" arrives, is situated behind those houses you see there.

Link: http://www.tk.no/billedserier/panora...cle5572716.ece
          So many great photos!

I want to see Kristiansund from the air too!
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I want to see Kristiansund from the air too!
            Sorry, my friend....
            This captain has parked his plane permanently and put his license on the top shelf.
            (A decision I have struggled with for some years now, shall/shall not.)
            The bureaucracy around being a simple Private Pilot has become so rigid now, and expencive, that I don't want to be a part of it anymore.
            It all began when Norsk Aero Klubb (NAK) for some odd reason got together with Norges Idrettsforbund (NIF) and became Norges Luftsportsforbund.
            On top of that, there are EU (European Union) which comes up with new rules every other year, just to make things more and more complicated.

Anyway:
            Today, 28th April, it's 71 years since the german forces (Luftwaffe) bombed Kristiansund.
            No unarmed and totally civil city in the country was so heavily bombed, and there are still (after all these years) discussions from time to time as to WHY?
            Some say the germans got big plans for the city, to use the area for shipment in and out of equipment and other stuff, and plans were drawn to lengthen Raumabanen railway, which stop at Åndalsnes today, as far as Melkvikan at Nordlandet in Kristiansund (where I grew up and Sterkoder ship yard was/is).
            Here's a picture of a displayed bomb to remember those days (Photo: via www.brunsvika.net)
            Last edited by Sterkoder; April 28th, 2011, 16:48.

Comment

Interesting reading and picture from WWII, Sterkoder

But it was a pity that you have to go to the step to put the papers on the shelf because of difficult regulations that make it all much more expensive when you need to deal with ever new rules all the time.

But you can enjoy all the good memories you have from your previous flights and remember them with joy.

But it was certainly a difficult decision to make..

Comment

Originally posted by Asimut View Post
                Interesting reading and picture from WWII, Sterkoder

But it was a pity that you have to go to the step to put the papers on the shelf because of difficult regulations that make it all much more expensive when you need to deal with ever new rules all the time.

But you can enjoy all the good memories you have from your previous flights and remember them with joy.

But it was certainly a difficult decision to make..
                The more I think back on the flying, the easier it is to accept what I've decided. I've been having fun with this since 1981.
                What made it easy to finally say no, was the expences, all the new EU-regulations, the fact that Shell Aviation don't let the plane owner use credit card anymore.
                This means we pilots have to pay the fuel ourselves beforehand, and get refund for fuel not used after flight. A system for caos if you ask me.
                To run an aeroclub is also just like running an airline, specially if the club has license to have a pilot school. And on top of it all, we have an airport manager here, who really and honestly wish us "dit pepper'n gror" and further away...
                One hour of flying cost NOK 1.400,- + prepayment of fuel at NOK 15,-/liter.

All this led to me deciding to use my money on photo equipment, and devote myself to ships, ship- and shipping history, photography and anything else maritime and coastal culture.

Don't be sad on my behalf, I'm fine!

Comment

How about driving motorcycle? This is giving me a kick each summer!
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                    How about driving motorcycle? This is giving me a kick each summer!
                    Motorcycle is the only vehicle I miss on my drivers license. Thought about completing the list a few years back, but also back then, most of my money went into flying.
                    Nope...., if I'm going to spend any serious money now...., it'll be on a boat...., 20-25 feet maybe, a cabin (when better half and doughter comes along), and a cruise speed of 8-12 knots. Mmmmm...., that would've been something....

(Sorry for going off topic, but I take it as a discussion within a thread. Will soon be back on track. I promise...).
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; April 29th, 2011, 12:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      The more I think back on the flying, the easier it is to accept what I've decided....
                      ....All this led to me deciding to use my money on photo equipment, and devote myself to ships, ship- and shipping history, photography and anything else maritime and coastal culture....
                      All that hassle must sure have started to take much of the fun and satisfaction out of flying, and I think you’ve made a good decision at the right time, especially having just got going with photography too.

I had been expecting I’d be wanting to teach more evening classes and field trips after I finished other work and research, but there was starting to be so much bureaucracy and stuff getting in the way of doing a good job. No sooner quit than I discovered CaptainsVoyage!

Comment

so much bureaucracy
                        You nailed it spot on!

You see, flying itself, to take off in an aeroplane and feel the freedom over the most beautiful scenery, is something I'll miss. The flying part of it is FUN!!!

But I'm as far away from a bureaucracy guy one can come, so the chapter of flying is closed.

Comment

Back to topic:

Nice weather in Kristiansund today, and down by the Hjelkremkaia (the dock where the klippfish museum Hjelkrembrygga is) I found a buddy who didn't fly away when I came there in my car.
                          If you look closely in the eye of the seagull, you can see the bow of "Borgenes", the old trawler

Here's my buddy looking over the inlet to Vågen, Mellemværftet yard far back in the middle, "Dina Alliance" to the left and old "Borgenes" to the right.
                          (If, for some reason, someone should wonder about the contrails in the sky..., that middle one comes from a Finnair Airbus A330 flight FIN5 from Helsinki to New York)

And do you know what a picture looks like if you take it 1/1000th of a second too soon..??? Well, here's the answer (This comes from not opening the left eye from time to time and take an overlook on what's going on outside the pictureframe).
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; May 1st, 2011, 00:48.

Comment

Over at Innlandet, close to the Thon Hotel, is the old slipway belonging to the ex. boat repair facility Furseth Slip & Repair.

On shore for maintenance at one of the many leisure craft harbours in Kristiansund, is an old beauty. Don't know its name or age though...., but might find out...

And looking out Vågen towards the harbour and Markussundet, you can see Kristiansund Mech. to the left, the chruch at Nordlandet in the background and the largest leisure craft harbour in the city with Mellemværftet to the right

With a large banner marked n8, a group of investors are making PR for their new complex of flats. As they are not yet built, it's too late to want to buy a flat there. Their all sold!
                            (Wouldn't that be great: almost 270 degrees view of the harbour, evening sun and a balcony facing the harbour....)
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; May 3rd, 2011, 10:18.

Comment

Well, I too, am sad for your parking the plane, but am happy that you seem content with the decision.

And NOW, more money for PHOTOGRAPHY!!!
                              Maybe you can invest in a small camera for your daughter and you can make it something you share with her? Some special time?
                              THEN move her more toward the boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thank you E, but don't be sad about the airplane thing...

Maybe you can invest in a small camera for your daughter and you can make it something you share with her? Some special time?
                                THEN move her more toward the boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                Are you a distant mind-reader...???

She got a Olympus pocket camera a year ago, and if some of you think I'm a macro photographer...., you should've seen hers....

And about the boat-thing; we only spoke about it as late as yesterday evening; first get in contact with the right guys to try and get a place for a boat, then start with our small 17' open boat with an outboard engine (actually my parents, but they never use it).
                                I've also seen her impressed by both beautiful classic lines at sea, hurtigruten and even offshore vessels.
                                AND, she got a special thing going for car ferries (you hear, J-O??), as those vessels are the easiest to get aboard and ride along...

Comment

Working...
                                X