This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    Well, Sunday came with nice weather and it was time to drive into town to see what has become of the recovered sunken ferry "Rjånes" from 1936.
    Hey there Big-S.

I see that HURTIGruten is not HURTIG enough to follow you. If Nordlys had dobbled her speed, you would be able to show me "Rjånes" today.

Sadly the northbound hurtigrute is arriving Kristiansund late evenings.

By the way, congrats with this new waiting-room at the hurtigruten-quay

Comment

Darn....., why didn't you send me a message?
      I was no where near my bed when the northbound arrived, so a short meeting on the dock could be a perfect ending to a great day
      Oh, well...., next time then.

Yes, finally Kristiansund got a 'venterom' for its hurtigrute passengers.
      Never been inside, but rumours say that the interior is naked and cold.
      Nevertheless, we don't have to stand outside on cold snowy/rainy and windy evenings to wait for the ship.
      Last edited by Sterkoder; January 10th, 2011, 22:12. Reason: 'no' turned into 'now'
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Very nice of you to go and document the final images of Rjånes: the condition of the ship is not the best from what I can see.

The wood looks like it's in a really bad condition, and a refurbishment would obviously have costed a lot of money.

The images are great, and you have with great success documented her special shape!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you..., my pleasure!!

Here's a link to Mellemværftet Fartøyvernforening, with an interesting article in norwegian about the ferry:

http://mellemverftet.net/publikasjon...nes_heving.htm

The below image is in the link, but here you can see whare the leak was on the hull. Now the water runs in revers, revealing the leak.
          Picture: Helge Hegerberg/MFF

Comment

The deterioration of the wood on this old vessel is extra ordinary: no wonder she sunk.

It is as you said, sad she can't be saved, but then...... we can't save them all.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Some hole in the sky over Kristiansund this afternoon, huh...?
              (Had a certain skyscape-lover in mind when taking these you know )

Comment

They say there was a small hole in the clouds here as well yesterday, but for the most part, we were drowning in winds and heavy snow!

I like the second image, the white caps makes the sea so much more intriguing!

Comment

Some hole in the sky over Kristiansund this afternoon, huh...?
                  ....Had a certain skyscape-lover in mind when taking these you know....
                  Oh my!!!!! Maybe I have had a little bit of an influence in you spotting a motif here!!!!!!
                  …actually I regard it as a photo present specially for me.
                  (And just when I have been posting some photo’s from that other place further south with just one letter difference!!!!!!!!!! )

Great images today from you Svein, and in the car ferry and other threads too.

Comment

Some of you might have seen the anchor on display in Kaibakken in Kristiansund in real life, and today I finally managed to find a picture of the vessel which "owned" it.

This anchor is over 100 years old and belonged to a sailing vessel called "Stella".
                    "Stella" came from USA with a load of ore when she was taken by bad weather near a place called Lyngværet at the island of Smøla just north of Kristiansund.
                    "Stella" went down in 1911 and this anchor is the only remaining item.

Picture taken from the paper Tidens Krav

Picture of "Stella" going down, via Jan Løbersli/Tidens Krav

Comment

WOW

How interesting, Svein.

I have seen this anchor every time I visit Kristiansund. But actually never thought about the history.

I googled "Stella". And found an article in your paper.

But I also found another article:

http://www.google.no/url?sa=t&source...KlDWMfY15FrDXw

If you follow this link, and scroll down to "Skipsforlis", you will read that "Stella" went down 5.November 1920.

But "Tidens Krav" say that this sail-ship went down in 1911.

NOT a big deal. But quite interesting anyway

Comment

5.November 1920.

But "Tidens Krav" say that this sail-ship went down in 1911.

NOT a big deal. But quite interesting anyway
                        Oh, darn!
                        You know me...., a difference in information of 9 years without any explanation is like putting gasoline in me and turn on the egnition switch...

Thank you so much for that link, Jan-Martin!

Comment

......explanation is like putting gasoline in me and turn on the egnition switch...
                          Do we need to call the fire department or the hospital's burn unit? (dunno)

Comment

Nope, no need to call nobody, as I'm still here breathing...

I'll stick with the official information that "Stella" came from Newport News in the US of A on her way to Götheborg in Sweden with 3000 tons of ore. She got struck by bad weather in which she lost her rudder, and a pilot was sent on board trying to direct her to Kristiansund.
                            She struck land at Smøla going ashore with 6 knots at Lyngværet 4th November 1920, and since she didn't sinck until the day after, all 22 hands were rescued.
                            The story goes that also much of valuables on board and a huge part of her cargo were saved, so despite loosing a ship..., all went well.

(Wow, what we can learn just from an anchor)

Comment

Facts about the Stella as found on Skipet.no:
                              Stålfullrigger STELLA (WKFG)
                              Bygd av A. McMillan & Sons Ltd., Dumbarton (# 388)
                              1943 brt, 1818 nrt 267.5 x 40.1 x 23.6
                              1902: Levert som S. CELESTE for P. Samengo (F. S. Ciampa & Figli), Castellamare, It.
                              1912: Solgt til Rhederei AG von 1896, Hamburg, Tyskl. Omdøpt OLONA
                              1914: 24.08.: Oppbrakt av britisk krysser HMS ST. GEORGE i N.Atlanteren.
                              Ført til engelsk havn og erklært god prise.
                              1915: Mars: Solgt til A/S Excelsior (S. O. Stray & Co.), Kristiansand. Omdøpt STELLA
                              1920: 06.11.: Grunnstøtte ved Lyngvær på reise Newport News VA – Göteborg med
                              kull. Seilte med nødror. Uaktsom navigering av losen.
                              What she was doing that far north on a voyage from Newport News to Gothenburg is not stated, but if she lost/damaged the rudder somewhere in the vicinity of Shetland the prevailing SW wind at that time of the year would have caused her to drift in that direction.

PS> there is an earlier article in TK about the Stella: http://www.tk.no/nyheter/article5472337.ece

Comment

(Wow, what we can learn just from an anchor)
                                I`ll copy THAT statement.

And thank you, ombugge, for all the facts about "STELLA". This CVF is indeed a fantastic forum. And a fantastic place to get new knowledge.

Now we know the facts BETTER than the writer of that article in "Tidens Krav" who gave us misleaded information about the date of her sinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X