This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    ....... and that was when the two cruiseships met in the harbour in the 80's, or was it early 90's?.
    Probably 1992, and the ships were Crystal Harmony and Royal Viking Sun: I was a young and aspiring Second Officer on the RV Sun that day.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      Probably 1992, and the ships were Crystal Harmony and Royal Viking Sun: I was a young and aspiring Second Officer on the RV Sun that day.
      Oh yes, I know. I've seen pictures other places on CV, you at the gangway and all..., but I didn't have time to look it up
      (Those were the days I didn't care to bring my camera with me)
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
        Oh yes, I know. I've seen pictures other places on CV, you at the gangway and all..., but I didn't have time to look it up
        (Those were the days I didn't care to bring my camera with me)
        Maybe if I enlarge some of the photos I took that day, we might be able to spot a young(er) S on the quay side?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Can't remember if I were on the docks that day, my friend (amazing, isn't it?)

Anyway, today I started on one week autumn vacation together with my daughter. Earlier today I drove her over to a friend of hers, about a mile or so on the south side of the largest island in Kristiansund, Frei.
          Don't find my camera suitable for capturing nice images of the autumn nature, but anyway...., this is just three pictures taken during the one mile drive
          A couple of boathouses in low tide at Flatsetøy

Gjemnessundet Bridge. Towers are 108 meters tall, there are 623 meters between them and free sailing hight is 43 meters.

And as I drove the old gravel road back home, this motive suddenly came up in my car window "Fjordstraum" at anchor.

Comment

As I have an autumn vacation this week, my daughter is with a friend and my better half is at work...., I got some time on my hands today to do whatever I wanted
            I took my camera for a walk around in an area called Kringsjå. That's an area with old walkways and some kind of a water transportation system from old times.
            Spectacular view from this area before, but now the vegetation have grown so high, all you can see is wood. Kringsjå is the old word for Sjå omkring...., which in english would be Look around.
            To walk all these paths and up to Varden (highest point in the city) would take about 20-30 minutes, and when you come around to the south side, the city administration have now cut down trees, cleaned up in the bushes and placed out tables and benches in a relaxing area.
            Well...., enough words (I guess you could Google Kringsjå, Vanndamman, Varden or Kristiansund to find out more for yourselves), here are some images with beautiful autumn colours. Enjoy!

Comment

Comment

Last two...

This was my celebration of autumn, hope you enjoyd this short walk around Kringsjå

Comment

After my walk in Kringsjå, I drove down to the city center, along the docks and home via Vågen and Mellemværftet.
                  Parked my car along the road, jumped out and took some pictures of the vessels belonging to members of the Mellemværftet Veteran Vessel Heritage Society, mostly old Colin Archers.
                  The RS "Christiansund" belongs to Kristiansund Kommune (City Administration) for the schools to use to learn youngsters seamanship or just to let classes spend a day at sea.

Here's a detail of the old shipyards main building with the slipway below

An old crane at the yards dock

An oversight view of the area in Vågen. The brown roof belong to the Mellemværftet main building, then we have their dockside in the middle and in the back, you can see the Kristiansund Mech., often referred to in this forum when I take pictures in the area

The collection of old vessels

The nice little vessel "Bris"

RS "Christiansund"

Comment

Those are some really brilliant shots Sterkoder!

Love the autumn-empty-path-through-the-forest images... very tranquil and very Norwegian.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                      .... very tranquil and very Norwegian.
                      . . . and look, what is also typical is that there is an information board about the trees and the nature. I just love walks like this at Kringsjå. What a lovely time you’ve been having Sterkoder.

Comment

Hey, that was a relaxing morning walk. A really nice path. Was the water flowing beside that path to water some fields?? Such a system is still working in South Tirol (Meran/Bolzano) and was also quite often used in our mountain areas. Thank you for posting.
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Yes, Ralf..., the water ran in the ditch you see beside the path itself, but "the other way" so to speak.
                          The Kringsjå path system was designed as a water collecting system and not a watering system, as the ditches collected water that finally ended up in the four city dams called Vanndamman (Water dams...., (some norwegian words are almost impossible to translate)).
                          In the image below, you can see the dam in the distance

And in this image, where the waterditches and paths are coloured in blue, you'll see that the water collected ended up in the Vesterdammen. Also in the image are pointed out several buildings publicly known, to give you a perspective as to where these paths are. Many of you will know of Varden and the Kirklandet Kirke from before
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; October 8th, 2010, 11:56.

Comment

Wow, that is very interesting. Thank you for this information. We learn something new each day!!!
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I'm gob-smacked.... I had never known, nor seen these paths... and I lived in your wonderful city for a full year!

I've been to the radio mast and the Varden tower many times, but I can't recall this path up there...

I've got so much to learn: and this is now on my things I want to see on my return to KSU next time I visit.

Comment

A guy with an R/C airplane with a small camera mounted can make alot of beautiful videos.
                                Take a look at this one from high above Kristiansund, and there are also some nice music playing...

http://vimeo.com/15335744

Kristiansund is a beautiful city, resting close to the North-Atlantic!!!

Mr. Visnes also have many more videos on vimeo.com, so just enjoy!
                                Last edited by Sterkoder; October 13th, 2010, 10:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X