This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    Ok, it's a quite Saturday night all alone and I'm catching up on the posts I've missed...

Jesus, Mary and Holy Saint Joseph!!! WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!

That is one DEEE-LICIOUS yacht!!!
    (Bet none of you guys EVER thought you'd hear a girl describe a boat as delicious...)

Captain, my dear...Lady E would like the Lady B. Would you please arrange it? Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
      Captain, my dear...Lady E would like the Lady B. Would you please arrange it? Many thanks.
      Even more Lady B here, Lady E...:

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...=Lady+B&page=3
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Captain, you misunderstood me. I would like to HAVE the Lady B. As in OWN the Lady B. Please negotiate. Check's in the mail (would they take a debit card?)..............

Comment

At Sterkoder Ship Yard in Kristiansund, there will be no more ships built.
          Went down there for some nostalgia this afternoon, and photographing the "bedding" (the slope where they built their ships), thinking back to when I was a small boy watching launches and remembering us small boys using the ships as playgrounds after school and homework.
          (A worker went to the job from 8 AM to 4 PM and there were no overtime those days, or at least not every day)

I can hear the cracking of the wooden rails when a ship start the initial move down the slope, then the sound of the chains alongside the hull, the -"WOW!" and applause from the public...., followed by a remarcable silence...

And into the modern times again; the new building housing the harbour authorities and a hurtigruten public waiting room, among other things, being delivered to its owner 15th July
          Last edited by Sterkoder; July 15th, 2010, 07:52.
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Nordsundet bridge, connecting the city islands of Nordlandet and Gomalandet.
            New one to the left and the remains of the old one to the right

And what have all of us driven over without knowing anything about it for years upon years...?? A piece of art!
            (Well, atleast I consider grafitti to be art, but as all of the rest of you..., tagging should be banned from the face of the earth)

Spraypainted on the Nordlandet-side fundament of the bridge
            (What a photographer can discover once he/she steps out of the car)

Comment

Great captures.... yes, indeed, once we step out of our cars, it's increadible what we can find. And within a few meters of the car as well.

I'm glad you un-buckled and did what you did.
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                ....Well, atleast I consider grafitti to be art, but as all of the rest of you....
                Well, I have never been completely convinced by “graffiti as art”, perhaps because the examples that could indeed be considered art and actually communicate something are vastly fewer than the examples of, what shall I call them. . . vandalism?
                If one went out one morning and found that graffiti had appeared on one’s house during the night, and one felt happy to keep it there then I guess that would indeed be art . . . if not, then maybe the bridge should be spared it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                  Well, I have never been completely convinced by “graffiti as art”, perhaps because the examples that could indeed be considered art and actually communicate something are vastly fewer than the examples of, what shall I call them. . . vandalism?
                  If one went out one morning and found that graffiti had appeared on one’s house during the night, and one felt happy to keep it there then I guess that would indeed be art . . . if not, then maybe the bridge should be spared it too.
                  Here in Singapore we now have a Swiss "gentleman" of 33 serving a 5 month prison sentence and 3 strokes of the cane for applying "art" on one of the MRT trains. Too mild punishment in most people's opinion.

The last foreigner to show his "talent" with a spray box was given four month and originally six strokes of the cane. This was reduced to 4 strokes on the pleading of then President Clinton. Wrong in my opinion. He should have been given the same sentence as anybody else, even if he happened to be an American.
                  Does foreigners get milder sentences than white Americans in the US???

Comment

I should point out though that I ment grafitti on grey dull concrete non-private walls.
                    Me neither can't stand vandalism like tagging or just spraying around with a black box.
                    But colourful carefully built grafittis of many layers and in bright clean colours is nice to look at. That's my opinion.
                    And of course, on my house wall: nope!

Comment

Well when I jumped in so quick with that post #236 I suppose a bit of my upbringing may have been showing – the bit about treating public property as if it was your own private property. Though there is also the bit (a lot) of me that so enjoys poking around corners and exploring neglected places.
                      It was the graffiti being on a bridge that got to me I guess . Or, put another way, when is grey dull concrete not dull to me? – answer “When it’s a bridge”. Love ‘em.

Comment

In Kristiansund it's raining heavier than I've experienced for many, many years. What do we do then...?
                        We should be indoor, but the temperature is fairly good, so we wanted to go outside for a while. Well, I took my camera and daughter and drove into town and visited the Mellemværftet Fartøyvernforening in Vågen and took some pictures.
                        I've said much negative about my camera, but when it comes to taking water as in heavy rain, it's of the top notch
                        Here's some images from my "sub-marine" camera today, and I'll start with the coastal cargo vessel "Emilie" which has just been dry-docked at Kristiansund Mech.

Superstructure for detail geeks

And from my point of view, she have a beautiful bowline...

What I would think is unusual with this vessel is that she has propeller with no pitching wings. That means that if she want to back up, she can't just turn the wings of the prop, but have to stop engine rotation and make the engine go the other way. ( 'omslagbar' I belive the norwegian name is for this operation)
                        More pictures, also of the prop and bridge: http://www.brunsvika.net/startside/a...-gammelsorten-

"Ivar Senior" outside "Midnor Viking" with car ferry "Tustna" moored and cargo vessel "Sigyn" on dry dock in the background.

Well, as this was what you can see from Mellemværftet, it's time to turn to what's going on at the Mellemværftet.
                        Colin Archer lookalike "Alegra" moored to prepare for som maintenance. Looks like they have broken their bow spear

"Alegra" in front, then details of "Frimann", colin archer "Oma" and "Grønningen" dry docked

Comment

Colin Archer lookalike, but much smaller, the beautiful homemade "Gueranja"

"Oma" seen here, very well kept!

"Oma" mirrored in the sea with raindrops. A bit less rain here, for a change...

An old vessel with a name that seems to be "Fiskaren" (the Fisher).
                          Never seen this around here before, so this might be a summertime visitor.
                          (EDIT: Just found out that this is ex. SF-60-B, built at Sletta Båtbyggeri AS in Mjosundet near Kr-sund in 1981. Not too old then).

"Gulafjord" on water after several years on dry dock at Mellemværftet

This is how the main building at the Mellemværftet looks like with the dry dock in front

Details of the workshop and dry dock

Colin Archer "Grønningen" dry docked. Note the depth of her hull, acting as a huge keel when sailing
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; July 23rd, 2010, 01:43.

Comment

The special small roing boat and old work boat of the counties fjords years back, was the nordmørsgeita (the nordmøre goat).
                            This kind of boat were called goat due to their superb way of riding the waves. You can also see one example in the national maritime museum at Bygdøy, Oslo.
                            Here's an example of the design called "Nordmørsgeita I"

A nordmørsgeit at full sail. Ain't she pretty...??

Finally, a very, very beautiful design of a small fishing boat under restoration.
                            Let me present to you "Hilde"

Well, hope you liked my walk around at Mellemværftet under the most heavy of rain showers....
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; July 23rd, 2010, 01:43.

Comment

Sterkoder, thank you for taking us with you on your walk. It is fine to have the possibility to have it nearby and i bet i would have done the same on that day. It is so fascinating to see how many ships are restored now by private owners. That will be also my dream for retirement...
                              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Though not exactly a ship geek I enjoy looking at pictures of the smaller boats. I thoroughly enjoyed my conducted walk around Mellemværftet and your commentary brought it alive, Sterkoder. Many, many thanks. As for that photo of Oma mirrored in the sea with raindrops - it's just superb.
                                More similar "walkies", please.
                                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                                X