This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    The artist who made the statue of "Klippfiskkjerringa" (the klippfish women) in Kristiansund, thought she was too "alone" down at the Pier, so now we've got a new statue down there, the "Sildegutten" (the herring boy) to keep her company....
    He stands so straight and proud, and he’s earned his pocket-money. All the makings of a true and worthy citizen of Kristiansund. (I bet he could be just a little bit mischievous sometimes though! ).
    It’s a splendid sculpture, and using flash was a good idea. Glad you also posted the first photo as well though – with the sculpture side lit and more of a silhouette, it nicely complements the main interest of the railings and buildings on the right leading attention to the ship.

Comment

it nicely complements the main interest of the railings and buildings on the right leading attention to the ship.
      Funny thing is, I might go around here taking pictures without knowing what I really do....
      As I said in the thread with "Saga Pearl II", thank you so much and this fuels my motivation for continuing my photography!
      I want to be an honest guy, and therefore I have to say that it was not until now, when you mentioning it, I really saw what was in the pictures...., the shadows, the railings, cars and houses..., leading to a point...., sort of "building" up the total image...
      I'm so glad we humans are able to learn new things every day!

Anyway, here are a couple of more images.
      The green building houses the coffeebar and popular "brown pub" 'Onkel & Vennene Hans' (Uncle & His Friends), next one is the City Hall, then the Hotel Fosna on the hill and then all the buildings along the Vågekaia

In the basement of that green building is also a souvenir and giftshop, run by Mr. Wammer. This is a fairly large souvenir shop, and there are also several bits & pieces for us ship-nerds
      Last edited by Sterkoder; August 13th, 2010, 21:51.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Funny thing is, I might go around here taking pictures without knowing what I really do........
        .... it was not until now, when you mentioning it, I really saw what was in the pictures....
        No need at all for the embarrassed smiley. You are doing these compositions naturally, so see, it is your innate artistic talent making itself apparent in your photography. I don’t think that Jan-Olav in those images we admire so much is actually verbalising in his head exactly what he is doing when spots a motif and takes the photo, though it is interesting to discuss and talk about afterwards. . . I think he starts to consciously think when he is dissatisfied with what he’s taken.

Perhaps now that you are more familiar and comfortable with your new camera, your own natural gift is once again coming to the fore.

Excellent bonus photos here – what a civilised gift shop! . . .and coffee bars and pubs and ships. . . and here am I going to Rome in a few weeks (volcano permitting) – but it is as much to see our ehp as anything Italian, and K’sund is still very much on the must go list, it really is. Just that 2010 is turning out to be one of those unplanned/just happens kind of years! - another example of instinct overcoming thought and planning.

Comment

and K’sund is still very much on the must go list, it really is.
          Just before the main tourist season start, I wonder....., as I'm just personally curious:

How much, or how large an impact, does this/these forums mean/have to you foreigners when it comes to "tourist information" from an area....?

And do you at all show/discuss any of the images/posts we norwegians make with your friends/neighbours out there, at any time....?

Just to use Kristiansund as an example:
          Looking at a local persons (me this time) info, images and writing, I guess you've seen more of the city and know more about it than any tourist brochure could show, or...?

My main question I guess would be:
          Does this kind of activity we have on different forums around on the internet have any positive impact at all on the travelling pattern of tourists...?
          (It would be very interesting to know).

Comment

Looking at photos of places which are taken by local people certainly means far more to me than going for the published tourist stuff, or even other visitors' pictures. The latter are very interesting to see, but are likely to be photographs of the more obvious places. Or, on some of the sites I looked at when trying to identify some of my Kong Olav places before appealing to members, the photos were mostly of where they ate, slept, shopped.etc.! A local inhabitant is going to show you the side streets, the interesting corners, places tucked away that the tourist might not find.
            For someone like me who holidays alone, and likes nothing better than to wander the streets - if I am in a town - and poke about in the odd places, the sort of things that you and others post on CV are just what I would search out were I going to that area. I like to really get to know a place, given enough time, not to do a quick run round then leave saying to myself "Well, done that, on to the next one".
            And even if I don't get to visit, I still gradually acquire a great feeling of getting to know a country. Know it in the sense of understanding what makes it tick.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I totally share the same view –and wandering the streets travel style –of wherrygirl, who has expressed so well what makes what we have here on CV so special. So I’ll second that with a Big Cheer for CV everybody!

Apart from which I can only throw in a few less-well expressed random thoughts which Sterkoder’s interesting questions brought to mind.

One of my particular annoyances has always been travel brochures (both paper and virtual) that include photos but without any caption saying where the places are, or, even more exasperating, some generic caption like “A fishing village in the north of Norway”. It might have been that particular photo that causes someone to take notice, perhaps the first trigger to thinking about visiting Norway, a “That’s where I want to go “ moment. (OK, I know I don’t always add captions to photos, but at least it’s clear on CV how to get in touch with me to ask for details.)

Most folk in the UK are only just getting to grips with the idea of anywhere in Scandinavia as a holiday destination, and someone who is only just sorting out the difference between Norway and Sweden is unlikely to suddenly decide to spend a long weekend break in Kristiansund - as even Sterkoder would admit!!! It’s going to be Oslo or Bergen, (or, since Joanna Lumley’s Northern Lights TV programme even Tromsø!), and it is even remotely possible that the more determined might book a package holiday on Hurtigruten! But suppose they like what they did – will posts on forums like ours be any influence in getting them to places like K’sund on a subsequent visit?

I think the answer is yes, even though we might not realise, and I can explain why I think this by the equivalent example of me getting to know Sweden over the course of a couple of decades.
              I’d had work visits to the university in Lund, reached via Copenhagen and Malmö. I loved it and wanted to see more of Sweden than just the southern tip. But when I tagged holiday time on to the end of work trips, it was unsurprisingly to Gothenburg and Stockholm, just like tourists do today.
              But even when I knew Gothenburg is Göteborg, I still wanted more; looked at a map, wondered what the small places were actually like. I still have drawers (and shoe boxes ) full of brochures, but Sweden was very early getting “virtual” with simple to guess url’s of the form "www.townname.se" getting one into the commune website and only one click away from local tourist info. But then maybe not enough info, or annoyances as described above. Fortunately internet connection was getting faster and google searching was getting better. And so I found the information and inspiration on people’s web pages and on forums like ours. And that was how I found myself spending time in places like Karlskrona, Gävle, Örnsköldsvik, Varberg, Lysekil, everywhere along the Göta canal, and the Inlandsbanan. . . .and. . . well, the list is endless for I have been to every province and my answer to “Where have you been in Sweden” is to say “it’s quicker to tell you the places I haven’t been” !

I know I have personally acknowledged only a couple of individuals out of so many, for it is often just a moment looking at a photo that only in retrospect turns out to have been the start of eventually going somewhere.

I’m sure that it will have been the same for many people chancing upon our forum, and that there are all sorts of stories and consequences (and even visits to Kristiansund!) hidden behind that guest number in “Currently active users” that we will never know about.

Comment

some more pictures from Kristiansund in october 2009:

Doris

Comment

Doris

Comment

Doris

Comment

Thank you for sharing these beautiful images from my hometown, Doris!!

Post #191:
                      Well, what can I say? I'm a popular guy around here....
                      The truth is that this is the remains of the once biggest employer here in Kristiansund, Sterkoder Ship Yard, which gave an income to almost 700 people.

Post #192:
                      We still hav a small ship yard, or at least a boat yard, here in Kristiansund. The Jemar Nordpower AS.
                      Visit their website, it's kind of interesting: http://www.jemar.no/?div_id=8&pag_id=8

And the silvery building there with all those black-looking windows is the police station and local court.

Post #193:
                      You managed to get a fix on my favourite spotterplace, although it can be rather tricky on a sunny afternoon as the sun makes a direct head on light
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; May 13th, 2010, 15:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Doris H View Post

Doris
                        Shallow water Seismic Boats, The have come a long way from the "Bas Baat" of 1950s and 60s.

Comment

Double posting. Removed
                          Last edited by ombugge; May 14th, 2010, 04:18.

Comment

I haven't read all words and info on the Jemar Norpower pages, but I don't belive these are small sismic vessels to operate on their own.
                            As you see on one of the videos, these are seismic workboats and repairboats of seismic cables, so that the much larger and main seismic vessel don't have to rewind the cable for repair.

Comment

I haven't read all words and info on the Jemar Norpower pages, but I don't belive these are small seismic vessels to operate on their own.
                              As you see on one of the videos, these are seismic workboats and repairboats of seismic cables, so that the much larger and main seismic vessel don't have to rewind the cable for repair.
                              You are right, it looks like these boats are specifically designed and built as Work Boats for the large Seismic vessel. Norpower boats has been used on Purse Seiners and Seismic vessel "since time immemorial".
                              These particular boats are able to handle at least two Streamer sections on the reel, and to retrieve streamers from the water for repairs.

Similar small boats are used in very shallow water seismic shooting, but not "on their own". A fleet of vessels are used, which includes;
                              Reel Boats to tow or lay streamer on the seabed. (Looks much like these Norpower Work Boats)
                              Gun /Source Boats to produce the "bang".
                              Separate Acquisition Boats to collect the data. (If ground cables are used)
                              Sometime a separate Nav Boat to keep track of where everybody are.
                              A fleet of anywhere from 6 - 30 boats are used on a single Seismic job in the Transition zone (0-10 m. WD), Estuaries, Rivers and Lakes

Very difficult and costly operations, but that is for another thread.

Comment

I'm starting to recover after almost one week of fever, hurting muscles and joints and a fabulous headache..., and I had my first drive into the city center today since last Tuesday morning.
                                Well, enough about me..., here are some images spread around in different threads. First "Vannsteiner fra Klubba" (Waterstones from Klubba"). Klubba is an area towards the big ocean in the western corner of Kristiansund, and over time, the pounding of the ocean has made the most incredible rolling stones.
                                (It's water coming out on top there, and yes...., I know what it looks like, but it's not!)

Fog in Kristiansund this morning, but here it is about to lift so that we now in fact have had some sunny and hot hours
                                Last edited by Sterkoder; May 16th, 2010, 22:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X