No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And since my brain just woke up and realised this old bridge can celebrate 70 years this year, I tried to be an artist

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Is the old bridge still in public use for vehicles? Or is it restricted to pedestrians only now? Great to see that they have left it in place, a lot of places would have dismantled it once the new one was opened. Not many places would want the expense of maintaining the old metal structure to keep it safe.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
        Is the old bridge still in public use for vehicles? Or is it restricted to pedestrians only now? Great to see that they have left it in place, a lot of places would have dismantled it once the new one was opened. Not many places would want the expense of maintaining the old metal structure to keep it safe.
        We had two such bridges in Kristiansund. Nordsundet bridge was dismanteled many years ago, but this Omsundet bridge is preserved for pedestrians only now.
        I belive it came under the protection of the Directorate for Cultural Heritage in Norway (Riksantikvaren).

Comment

On top of this page, I posted an image of Kvitnes ferry dock.
          Today I took a picture of Kvalvåg ferry dock, also put out of service when the city got its bridges and tunnel in 1992.
          Many ferries have been used from this dock, to cross the fjord over to a place called Kvisvik, but the one I remember the best was B/F "Tingvoll".
          This was the way we used when going to SUnndalsøra, Oppdal and the main road E-6.
          Today the area is used by a fishfarm as docking place and base for their operation.

This picture does not show you Kristiansund, but the close by area, with the floating bridge and the 992 meters high Reinsfjell with its tv- and communication antennaes on top.
          I don't like snow very much, but I just took this picture now as the Easter is about to start to show you that out here close to the North-Atlantic ocean, we have fjords and snow covered mountains, making people able to perform whatever sparetime outdoor activity they want within a short periode of time.
          Nice, isn't it...?

Comment

Sterkoder... you post number 169 and 170 shows that your photographic talent has grown and that you are also becoming a world class photographer. You must never let your talents rest and continue on this path. These images are truly beautiful and shows that you also have come a long way.

Keep it up, these are the kind of post I'd love to see you do many more of!
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you so much for those nice words!
              What the future will bring in concern with such motives...., well..., we'll just have to wait and see
              You know, the image in post #170 is just an "artistic" twist (good or bad, I can't deside) to personally "celebrate" this bridges 70th year (birthday, if you wish).
              Last edited by Sterkoder; April 2nd, 2010, 21:50.

Comment

Saturday 14th August 2010 between 1:00 PM and 3:30 PM local norwegian time, Kristiansund will be heavily exposed on the tv-channel EuroSport.

The reason is the end and finals in something called Toppidrettsveka (Week of the Elite Sport) where the contesters use roller ski.

Last year this was sent by the norwegian tv-channel TV2, and I uploaded some pictures into this thread, if you remember.

If you are not one of the 118 million owners of a EuroSport access, or one of the potential 300 million viewers....., you can watch the event on www.nrk.no, as our national broadcasting corporation will be the producing company

Wonder what this has to say for the tourism...???

Comment

Here in Kristiansund Cirkus Zorba just ended their start of their 19th season.
                  Cirkus Zorba is Norways smallest cirkus, if not the worlds smallest and they are often "Guest of honor" at several cirkus festivals throughout the world.
                  They always start their season in Kristiansund because the family who created this is from my homeplace, Frei...., and their homebase is just a few hundred meters from where I live, down at Kvalvåg, if you remember the ex. ferry dock further up in this thread (post #173).
                  I post their link, although it's in norwegian only: http://www.zorba.no/
                  (Pictures from the show all the way back to 2003 can be seen if you press 'Tidligere år' on the left side).

And this is what they look like in the corner of the parkinglot of a local shopping mall (Note the size of the tent compared to the cars and lorries)

I guess their scene is about 8 meters in diameter, and the director is 20 years old Ronja Gujord, the daughter of the founder Mr. Thor Gujord.
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; April 13th, 2010, 21:27.

Comment

Great photos!!! When I return to US I will be sending you a special photo...promise!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rvl Sea Crew View Post
                      Great photos!!! When I return to US I will be sending you a special photo...promise!!
                      Oh..., I've cleaned a nice spot on my office wall for that one
                      Don't stress, I'm sure it will come to me some day

Give my regards!!

Comment

The icon of our city and harbour is the Sundbåten. Here's our little "Rapp" passing in front of the huge "Far Sapphire"

And a new vessel to be used in the summer route between Kristiansund and the small island of Grip are now finally in place.
                        Here's "Aurlandsfjord II" moored at the Pier. (The reason for all the flags are of course the celebration of 1st May. In the upper right corner, you can see our city shield on the wall of the City Hall).

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                          ...In the upper right corner, you can see our city shield on the wall of the City Hall...
                          Just above the Peppes Pizza - sign that is...
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Yes, you're right....., and it was quite a discussion here before Peppes got that location.
                            The politicians wanted to use the location as the new main entrance to the city hall, an entrance which covered all the rules and regs about the ability for disabled to enter a public building.
                            But then I guess the "money talked" and Peppes got their location in the heart of the city.

Comment

A small arrangement in Kristiansund today celebrated the freedom after WW II 8th May 1945.
                              A very nice gesture was when the crew of the coast guard vessel "Njord" changed their plans to leave early and stayed behind to take part in this memorial.
                              (Pictures from www.brunsvika.net)

(Note: The man holding the speach here, is my friend the cannoneer from the day "Shtandart" visited last year, just as a nice to know info)

In salute to all who gave their effort and lives so that we can live in freedom today, and my special thoughts goes to the crews on board norwegian merchant vessels!
                              Last edited by Sterkoder; May 8th, 2010, 20:45.

Comment

The artist who made the statue of "Klippfiskkjerringa" (the klippfish women) in Kristiansund, thought she was too "alone" down at the Pier, so now we've got a new statue down there, the "Sildegutten" (the herring boy) to keep her company
                                You know, way back in time we had large loads of herring being landed here in Kristiansund. The herring was mainly used to produce herring oil and we had several herring oil factories in the city up until mid-1970s.
                                (The smell was aweful, but as they said...., it smelled money).
                                When the herring fishing vessels unloaded, there were always some herrings lost, and those were picked up by the small boys in town, put on a steel string and they started their walk around town to knock on doors to try and sell their "load" of herring for 10 øre (NOK 1/10th of a krone) a piece.
                                The herring boys were close to an institution in Kristiansund in the old days, and they kept themselves with pocket money that way.
                                Well, that was the story in short, here's the sculpture, "Saga Pearl II" in the background and all his herrings on a string:

Had to use the blitz

Comment

Working...
                                X