Sterkoders 24 hours on board MS FINNMARKEN - Kristiansund to Bergen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sterkoders 24 hours on board MS FINNMARKEN - Kristiansund to Bergen

I wondered a while if I should post ships enroute in their own threads, if I should split my journey and post images from Kristiansund in the Kristiansund-thread, images from Bergen in the Bergen-thread and so on..., but figured that would ruin my "story" of a trip on a hurtigrute between Kristiansund and Bergen.
    Therefore, and I hope it's ok, I decided to make a new thread where I will put my images from departure in Kristiansund 4. October 17:00 to docking in Bergen 5. October 14:30.

The reason for the voyage was a week-end trip with colleagues at Swire, nothing more, nothing less.
    MS FINNMARKEN arrived on time, and since we came straight from work, I was first on board to get my cabin card first, so that I managed to take a shower before she unmoored.
    I managed, also a cold beer, and headed up to deck 8 with my Pentax.

Kristiansund framed from deck 6

Backing out from the quay. I'm usually taking pictures from that 'Hollywood-ish' sign...., now it's the other way

Coming up to harbour speedlimit 5 knots

Passing cargovessel IMI moored at Storkaia on our way out

The Pier with sundbåten RAPP to the right and sundbåtferry FRAMNÆS to the left. In the middle is the old SAR vessel HAGBART WAAGE. In the center we see the City Hall

The weather did not invite anyone to use the deck chairs
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Passing JEMAR-Norpower which is the producer of many different types of workboats to the offshore industry

Sailing under the Sørsundet bridge, throtteling up to our cruisespeed of 14 knots

I don't see Kristiansund from this angle every day

HAVILA JUPITER passed us on her way to Kristiansund. Note the photographer behind the orange MOB-boat

Kvitholmen lighthouse on Hustadvika

Nope, I did not use the pool nore the jacuzzies

Comment

Good, I'm glad you chose to show your pictures in one thread, Svein, I like photo stories.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Hustadvika in beautiful light. Looking towards Averøy and the Atlantic Road

Then we had dinner, and the evening went on with good drinks and just being together. Therefore no images between here and Lågøyfjord and the sailing into Ytre Steinsund.
        In Ålesund I was too "happy" and it was too dark. Thereafter it was "good night".
        Anyway, to you frequent travellers; is this Ospa??

Entering Ytre Steinsund

A small red boathouse between rock formations at Rånøy

Old carferry NÅRASUND built in Harstad 1968.

Closing in on the narrowest passage enroute. Hestneset to port and Brattholmen on the starboard side

Comment

After passing the narrow point, we sailed out on Sognesjøen

Sogneoksen with the lighthouse on top

Passing Fedje and Fedje VTC (on top there). This is like an ATC tower in aviation, only this is for controlling ship activity

We are sailing over the open strech Fedjeosen

A study in details of the ship fitnesscenter as we cross Fedjeosen

From the starboard side of the deck 8 Panorama saloon

Comment

I was on the bow deck all the way from north of Askøy until we docked in Bergen. We sailed the east passage.
            Here's a couple of fishermen, undoubtedly with a catch on board...

An anchor study in b/w

As I wanted no crowd in my view here, I had to wait this long to get my shot

Salhus bridge

For all I know this is Lønvåg and Eidsvåg mountain. In Bergen they build houses on every shelf of rock

ARTEMIS ATHENE passed us on the Byfjorden

Comment

Good to "be back onboard" the old faithful Finnmarken, thank you Svein!

Comment

Soon in Bergen

In drydock over at the shipyard in Laksevåg is what will become offshore tug BOA BISON

The new seismic vessel RAMFORM TITAN is 'slightly' wider than the offshore vessel KL SALTFJORD

A closer look at BOA BISON

A popular place for citizens in the summer...., the bathing place at Nordnes

The main office of the Norwegian commercial television company TV2 in the middle there

Comment

As we turned the stern in to dock, we could take a closer look at this...., boathouse. Yes, boathouse.
                  I did not know this, but a good friend from Bergen just told me this is the base for the Bergen Harbour Authoritys boat and the Bergen Fire Dept. boat
                  SJØSPRØYTE 2

Last image on board. Just had to take this photo...

Hope you all enjoyed the ride as much as me. (Still have that humming from the radar in my head from over one hour on the bow deck) :-)
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; October 9th, 2013, 23:11.

Comment

Thank you so much, Big S. Yes, it was the right decision to put that into an own thread. Again we can see much more details and personal views made by an outstanding photographer. And look, again we have something new. Favorites? 5/1, 5/4, 5/5! Veeery well done.
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ah, and something else: compare picture 1/5 "HAGBART WAAGE" with this thread:

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...rt-cruise-2013
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I'm glad you liked the new thread. Means alot! (Don't we all get inspired by positive and constructive comments? )
                        I did not take too many images inside FINNMARKEN, but with my iPhone I took the mandatory one...., my cabin (nr. 218)

In my cabin 12mm thick window, there was a small, small ship wheel engraved...

In Instagram I took a b/w picture of the old 1912 FINMARKEN

And as I commented earlier...., as we closed in on Ålesund, everything went more and more out of focus (Can you imagine why?)
                        You've seen the starboard side of the deck 8 Panorama lounge..., here's a bad iPhone picture of the port side...

And after docking in Bergen, the ship was emty...., almost spooky. Here's the Fløybaren (correct me if I'm wrong)

The Finnmarken Arcade totally emtied of people

Comment

So thrilled to see this rather special trip report. It was so nice anticipating it (seeing the “instagram” pics on FB while you were on the move). The thing that so impresses me now, seeing your photos here, is a kind of theme that I have been very conscious of in all sorts of contexts recently – the familiar as "unfamiliar", seen from a subtly different standpoint and in a subtly different context.

So I'm looking at images which could only be "Sterkoders", and at familiar scenes of Kristiansund - but different. There's that reverse view of the Holliwoodish sign as you mentioned, but much more too. Here are views of the city from just that slightly higher height that the decks of Finnmarken provide, and from the different standpoint in the harbour. Of course we saw views from the hilltops and high points before, but those are not the same as this experience which makes me see the places afresh and the familiar as unfamiliar. (Also though your eyes of course - again different from how I might have seen on my own hurtigrute visits here.)

I so enjoy your images of the ship herself too. This was perhaps not the hurtigrute that I ever thought you'd first overnight on, and the particular circumstances make this all the more special.

Special mention of #1/3, and, in conjunction with the passing scenery, the promenade deck in #4/3 in that soft creamy light. The view to wait for in #6/3, and foredeck with skyscape at the narrow strait in #4/6 – and talking of skyscapes, that subtle sky of #5/2.

Oh and the must-take "blue chairs shot" and the various lighthouses, and I love how the typical Sterkoder "letterbox-pano" format so suits the passing landscape in #5/3. And then of course there's that aptly captioned study in details of the fitness centre portholes in #5/5; a real pro-photographer’s image that one.

Something to think about – surely you have a message here for those travel agents that seem to nurture the notion that the last days of the Round Trip southbound are somehow “boring” and, suggest flying off from Trondheim. (I mean an additional message to the actual call at Kristiansund which you have always promoted of course.)

So now I’m delighting in the final reflections image. Thank you Sterkoder for all your photos and shared experiences …I will totally forgive you that we don’t have one of you in the jacuzzi!

(Once again by the time I have been enjoying your posts and written something and had too many interruptions there is MORE …thanks for the cabin photo …and the window.)

Comment

Great photos Svein - bring back happy memories of a trip on FM some years ago. She looks the same today!
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

In post #5 I forgot to upload Hellisøy lighthouse on Fedje.
                              Hellisøy light is from 1855 and on a basement of granitt stone, is Norways next to oldest steel lights. The hight of the tower is 32,2 meters.

Thanks for commenting! Glad to bring back mamories, and thanks Cecilia, for detailed and inspireing comments!! :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X