This is Telemark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Telemark

I am starting this thread so that I can make a cross-referencing entry, drawing your attention to a new thread Cow Parade in the Overtime section. There I am about to post a more major contribution – the story of “Travelling to Telemark”. Placing it in Kingdom of Norway wouldn’t suffice as the travelling will take you to Stockholm and Prague and even Edinburgh before you arrive in Norway! Neither did The World – Pilot Guides seem quite appropriate, for what is largely an account of an art exhibition and a country fair!

Here in the Kingdom of Norway I could have called this thread “This is Seljord” but decided on “This is Telemark” so as to widen its appeal to others who might like to post here. But I will be back with some photos of the village of Seljord that didn’t make it into the Cow Parade story. Here is one to be going on with; a teaser as Captain would say…

I'm so happy this morning, so very happy. Happy to see another exiting new thread pop up under the Norway section.

Telemark....

The name sounds so Norwegian to me and judging by the first opening picture, this will be the beginning of a new and wonderful adventure!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Makes me miss Norway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I wonder if that could be worked into a mantra????)

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
        Makes me miss Norway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I wonder if that could be worked into a mantra????)
        E, be careful, this is the beginning of a big "illness", I know what I tell to you, so it started for me with my first holiday in Norway in the year 1993 and til today it is a never ending story!!!

Best regards
        Doris

Comment

Some more images of the village of Seljord in Telemark:-

Here is the church, which dates from the 12th century and is dedicated to St.Olav.

The face carved on a corner of the building is said to be that of St.Olav.
          According to another legend, the church was built by a goblin who fell to his death just as the church was completed, and it is said that no grass grows on the place where he fell. (No, I couldn’t actually see such a grass-less spot!)

Comment

The face of Saint Olav almost appear a bit spooky... looking at us from beyond the granite!
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

POSTCARD-worthy, as usual, C!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                The face of Saint Olav almost appear a bit spooky... looking at us from beyond the granite!
                It does doesn’t it– ummmm maybe it isn't him and the goblin theory was right after all! . . . good thing it was a cheerfully sunny day . . .
                Originally posted by ehp View Post
                POSTCARD-worthy, as usual, C!!!
                . . . and on such a day in these idyllic surroundings it would actually be difficult to take a non-postcardworthy photo!

Comment

Never been to Telemark, but having read, heared on radio and seen films from that region, I'm convinced it's one of the more seeworthy parts of the country!
                  Great pictures of the church, and come to think of it; churches fascinate me, as a photographer and a drawer.
                  When I was out of work several years ago, I got the idea to get sponsors so that I could travel around in Norway and take pictures of each and every church in the country.
                  Together with each picture, there would be a fact sheet of each building, and all this would result in a book I was positive there had to be a market for....

Now, belive it or not....;
                  I don't remember the title, but there's already such a book on sale in Norway! A pictorial book (encyclopedia) about all the churches in the country, big or small...
                  (Unbelivable, but great also, that there are others with the same crazy ideas).
                  "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

What an amazing thing Sterkoder!
                    Well at least you ended up with a job you love, otherwise I’d be a bit sad that it was not you who got to make the idea for such a book into a reality. But yes more generally I agree that it is great to hear that people have these sort of “crazy “ ideas and dreams do manage to realise them.

I am much attracted to books that have drawings in them, or a combination of drawings and photos.

I want to see more of Telemark and the two things at the top of my want-to-see list are the power station at Ruikan, and the canal. Oh and perhaps to stay a night at one of those wonderful old wooden hotels!

Comment

Further views of Seljord:

Many farms have traditional barns.

Some of the houses are equally traditional with their attractive verandas.

The Seljord Hotel, which dates from 1857.

Comment

Rosemaling – a traditional art form.

Views of the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                          [IMG]
                          This is absolutely poster-size worthy!!!!!!! Gorgeous!

I've always wanted to take a class in rosemaling.....

Comment

You didn't spot the 'seadragon' in the Seljordvannet...?

Seljordvannet is the norwegian equivalent of Loch Ness, you see....
                            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                              You didn't spot the 'seadragon' in the Seljordvannet...? Seljordvannet is the norwegian equivalent of Loch Ness, you see....
                              No sign of him (or her!!) – At least not in the lake . . .

. . . but I did take a photo, which was one of the ones of Seljord village that I posted in the introductory part of Travelling to Telemark in the Cow Parade thread . . . You’ll spot the monster in post #3 . . .
                              http://captainsvoyage-forum.com/show...04&postcount=1

Comment

Working...
                              X