This is Ålesund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Godoya

It has been a bit quiet on the Aalesund thread lately so I thought I would revive it by posting some more pics taken from Aalesund Havn webcam.
    All showing Godoya at various times of the year and in various light:

Not to mention different cloud formations:

Or different snow cover:

Comment

Hessa - Sukkertoppen

While I'm at it, here is some pics taken from bt.no and Aalesund Havn webcams. This is my home island of Hessa, with the distinctive mountain known as "Sukkertoppen" (Sugar loaf) or Hessaklimpen. Not featured much as an object, but a popular place from which to take pictures of Aalesund:

First; as seen from Hurtigruten when approaching Aalesund north bound

Then as seen from town facing west

with a dusting of icing sugar

or looking like an active Vulcano

and at night

From a bit different angle: As seen from town in early moring.

A panorama of Hessa:

And finally, a more popular motif, Slinningsodden

Comment

Aalesund is such a charming city - and the people are so friendly. Only good memories from this place!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Ålesund year 1911:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Aalesund - Historical

Nice pic of Aalesund (Even with colours) but I suspect is taken before 1911 as all the houses seen here appears to be built from wood, which was banned after the 1904 fire destroyed the town centre.
            Here are some pics taken from smp.no (not webcam)
            The old Aalesund, before the great fire of Jan. 1904:

A rendering of the fire, when most of the old wooden town went up in flames:

And what it looked like after the fire:

Temporary wooden barracks, known as "Tysker Brakke" since they were put up by Germans sent to help by Kaiser Wilhelm, who was a regular summer visitor in Aalesund and the fjords:

Activity slowly returning with fishing boats in the inner harbour and a large German relief ship anchored in Aspoyvaagen:

Rebuilding in progress- 1905 to 1907. The town as we know it today is slowly taking shape, based on German architecture and built largely by German tradesmen:

The buildings on the last three pics is easily recognizeable and looks much the same today.

I believe this is 17th May celebration 1907:

Short history of the Aalesund fire is available in English on Wilkipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85lesund_Fire
            Surprisingly, the same colour pic of Aalesund showes up here, but now as "before 1900"

Comment

This picture must be from before the big fire, and sometime after1893.

The buildings in the ring

are also in the picture from 1893.

but are gone after the fire in 1904
              Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Wonderful! Great detective work and great seeing those images. I totally agree, as it looks, the picture must be from the time between 1893 and 1904.

I loved reading the wikipedia link! So much to learn.... that fire must have been extremely devastating for the locals. Almost hard to fathom I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
                  This picture must be from before the big fire, and sometime after1893.

The buildings in the ring

are also in the picture from 1893.

but are gone after the fire in 1904
                  Yes I agree Oistein, this is after 1893 and probably closer to 1900 as stated in Wilkipedia. Within the ring there is a large building in the back (Approx. where Scandic Hotel is today), which does not appear on the 1893 pic but is there on the colour pic.

Also, at Skansekaia, (to the right in both pics) there appears to be a new building erected sometime between those two pics.

By the way, those two wooden buildings on Skansekaia survived the fire.

The newest of those buildings are is still standing and in full use. Hurtigruten agents in Aalesund have their offices there. (Or at least had so?)

Another item of interest is that the Church survived the fire, while most of the houses around burnt. (Situated just at the Western edge of the fire area)

(Brosundet and then Hellebroa in foreground)

But the Church burnt down the next year and was replaced by the present stone Church.

(Almost same view as above, only 98 years apart)

Comment

Webcams are fantastic, aren't they??? ..and this since more than 100 years.
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                      The newest of those buildings are is still standing and in full use. Hurtigruten agents in Aalesund have their offices there. (Or at least had so?)
                      Ålesund Havnevesen (Ålesund Harbour Authority) has their offices there at the second floor.

Comment

It is a rainy day in Ålesund today. Heavy rain causes flood in the streets here I thought we where used to heavy rain, but today it has been extreme.
                        Here is a lin to an article in the local paper, Sunnmørsposten:

http://www.smp.no/article/20090817/N...612133028/1002
                        "I may not be able to control the wind, but I can adjust my sails."

Enthusiastically regards
                        Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Originally posted by TNAalesund View Post
                          It is a rainy day in Ålesund today. Heavy rain causes flood in the streets here I thought we where used to heavy rain, but today it has been extreme.
                          Here is a lin to an article in the local paper, Sunnmørsposten:

http://www.smp.no/article/20090817/N...612133028/1002
                          Does this happen 'not uncommonly' as the newspaper article suggests? It is a problem when sewage and surface (rain) water use the same drains . I hope the people with houses and businesses are not being flooded with contaminated water?

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                            I LOVE this house with the corner squared off to the street!!!! I've never seen anything like this. I wonder what the interior looks like? Could be made into quite a focal point, I would think....

I know NOTHING of Norwegian architecture, but if this were in, say, San Francisco, then I would think the main entrance would have been the door to the right at the end of the building and the "downstairs" door that looks like the main entrance now would have been the servant's entrance?
                            Just looking back over this thread...I saw this building when we were on the bus tour coming back from Giske...I hollered out loud I was so excited.....

(picture after sterkoder's post below.....)
                            Last edited by ehp; August 17th, 2009, 22:52.

Comment

Just a few words from the northern part of the county, as the heavy-to-very heavy rain has come to Kristiansund.
                              The front moved north-east, and it started 'downpouren mit katzen-und-hunden' about 5 hours ago.
                              This kind of rain is not common in my area, but to be honest, it has occured more often in resent years.
                              But, the weather forecast calls for no rain and 50/50 sun and clouds both tomorrow and Wednesday...
                              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                                This house, I mean...

Comment

Working...
                                X