X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rainbow Warrier (Greenpeace) in Aalesund today

Moore about the ship here
    Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Nostalgia

I grew up in Aalesund in the 1950's, at the time when it was known as the "Gray Town". Most of the houses where than, as now, built of stone or concrete, but not painted as now. All the details that is shown in the pictures on this thread went un-noticed by most, as we hurried around town to keep warm. It was an eye opener to see the details that we missed.

When staying there in the 1980's I did gain an interest in the details, incl. the elaborate front doors and the frescos that was painted in the entrances to a few of the house, which I had noticed when delivering papers as a boy.
      I think most of those are lost, however.

On my infrequent visit back over the last years, I have noticed the transformation and, because of the internet, I have been able to follow some of the discussion on whether to preserve "everything" or to let the town centre develop more freely, with modern architecture and better infrastucture.

Looking at that large "Brick", and some other contraptions in the middle of town, I think it may be too late, but can it/should it be reversed?

I have captured a lot of images of Aalesund and Geiranger off the Web cameras on smp.no and Aalesund Havn over the years from 2002 to 2006. Since the camera positions are the same but the season, the lighting and the ships in port are different, it becomes very interesting viewing when run as a slide show.

I don't not know if it is allowed to post such pics on this forum, but I noticed that two late postings here was taken from the web cams?

Comment

Web cams are generally permitted I guess as long as the source (link) is posted. Webcam images are widely spread in many forums all across the world, I guess we are no different.

I just thought about the image Sterkoder posted further above, of the old car ferry, now called Bilfergen... is that a privately owned vessel now and where is she normally based? She looks extremely well maintained.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Asimut
          Excellent.. big thank you!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Aalesund seen from afar.

The Web is an amasing invention. I Can sit here in Singapore, or wherever else in the world and capture images of Aalesund. I can also save them for later. I have images taken from smp.no and Aalesund Havn webcams Since the motif is the same in all images, only the season, the weather and the shipping in port changes, which gives an interesting effect when viewed as a slide show. I have 35 images taken from the webcamera on top of Aksla between 2001 and 2006, probably the most popular and best known picture of Aalesund. Here is 10 of them:

Clear winter day

Clear winter night

Aalesund in Spring

Summer night - July

Aalesund in Autumn

And then it is Winter again - Snowy

Sunset in late winter - Unbelievable colour.

Different colour

Different weather

And finally, normal weather

Comment

Aspoya

Here is some more webcam pics from Aalesund. View of Aspoya this time.
              (Dedicated to Thorbjorn)

Looks the same? It isn't

Spot the differance?

All above pics taken from Aalesund Havn Webcam.

Comment

I LOVE both series--and that you've saved them over the years! Is that a bird in the last photo (or something out of a Godzilla movie???)

These really get me thinking about my quick visit to Aalesund this summer--THANKS!

Comment

Kind of cool when you scroll down the page - and in a second, we jump from a cold winters day to midsummer evening. Don't we sometimes wish winters were THAT short for real!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                    Is that a bird in the last photo (or something out of a Godzilla movie???)
                    Ah, a seagull !!! (takes one to know one!!)

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    ... I can also save them for later....
                    So it’s not only just me!! I already feel much less eccentric . . .
                    Actually I think there must be very many people who have been captivated by that amazing view from Aksla. This webcam always appears in listings of favourites or “most viewed” in Norway, and is most missed when it has been out of operation from time to time.

As you say, it isn’t just the mountains and islands and buildings that attract, but also the port activity, and most of all the changing light and weather – not only through the seasons but through the course of a day . . .

Only 25 minutes difference!

Here are just a few others I saved:

These two are the same time of day but exactly one day apart.

That’s Midnatsol by the way.

Note to ehp – this should definitely be your goal for your forthcoming visit. After so much webcam watching, it felt like a very emotional moment for me when I first ascended the steps and stood contemplating that amazing view in reality!

Comment

This was rather an impressive ship view – and a bit of a rainbow too!

I first started keeping these webcam pictures by collecting one of each Hurtigruten ship. I was also trying to explain to people about the differences between those ships, and, in the spirit of a picture being "worth a thousand words", made up this ship size comparison. It conveyed more than just telling them the dimensions!

Comment

When staying there in the 1980's I did gain an interest in the details, incl. the elaborate front doors and the frescoes that was painted in the entrances to a few of the house, which I had noticed when delivering papers as a boy.
                        I think most of those are lost, however?
                        To repeat myself. Does anybody know if there are anything left of the elaborate Entrance door, the Fresco and the Stained Glass windows that used to be found in the "Gang" of some of the Jugend houses? (Entrance / Hallway for the uninformed)

I seems to remember there was still a Fresco in one of the house in Apotekergata and the much talked about house in Kirkegata in the 1980's, but my memory is not what it used to be. (Probably never was)

By the way, Aalesund is not all about Jugend style and stone houses. Here is one from Borgundveien.

And this is the backyard. Not much wasted space here.

And what about the renovation department?

This one dedicated to Seagull in appreciation of the posting above. (And for making me less of an eccentric)

This could be posted under another thread, where creating titles are invited.

My proposal: What the ....? They didn't leave any BEER!! Must be "Sunmoringa" who ate at this table.

And here is a VERY informative sign hung up to advertise trips to Ona. When does it leave?

But back to the changing lights and weather. This was taken at high noon in late December last year from my son's house.

And this was taken a couple of hours later.

Here is summer pictures. Looks almost the same, but taken on different days.

This looks like a Black and White image, but is actually in colours. Taken from Aalesund Havn webcam on a gray day.

To Ehp: Only 6 hours in Aalesund? You may not get to experience more than two seasons. If you stay a whole day you may get to see all seasons, especially in May or early June.

Comment

Kipervika

To continue the series of Webcam pics taken from smp.no and Aalesund havn websites. This is an angle you don't see much in postcards and touristy pictures from Aalesund. Kipervika and the main road into town, which also double as a wharf:

Here is first one when the camera was out of alinement for a while. (Same as the last one above)

The rest don't need much text.

Comment

To Ehp: Only 6 hours in Aalesund? You may not get to experience more than two seasons. If you stay a whole day you may get to see all seasons, especially in May or early June.
                            hahahahahahaha- oh, I LOVE this... we have days like that here in Georgia, as well.....

Yep, only six hours....I don't get to make the schedules.....(yet....LOL)

Comment

I LOVE this house with the corner squared off to the street!!!! I've never seen anything like this. I wonder what the interior looks like? Could be made into quite a focal point, I would think....

I know NOTHING of Norwegian architecture, but if this were in, say, San Francisco, then I would think the main entrance would have been the door to the right at the end of the building and the "downstairs" door that looks like the main entrance now would have been the servant's entrance?
                              Last edited by ehp; April 30th, 2009, 14:02.

Comment

Aalesund Panorama

Origin of these pics are unknown. (Hope I don't infringe on somebody's copyright)
                                A bit more of Aalesund from angles you don't normally see:

From the air.

Aalesund seen from the West. (Top of Skolma)

And from the East (Gamlemsveten)
                                Not much of the actual Town seen here.

A wide angle shot from Aksla.

Here is a composite showing Aalesund at various times in history.

But these are my own shots from Aalesund:
                                Fjelltun and a house on "stilts" at the edge of the abyss.

Flower garden on the roof. (Aksla)

View of the Sunmoere "alps" from Aksla.

Who got the idea to place a "brick" in the middle of town?

Midsummer night at "Slinnings baalet". All awaiting the big moment when the bonfire is lite. (This one from unknown source)

Comment

Working...
                                X