No announcement yet.

This is Ålesund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brunholmgata and fjellstua at the mountain...

Last edited by TNAalesund; June 29th, 2013, 19:14.
    "I may not be able to control the wind, but I can adjust my sails."

Enthusiastically regards
    Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

The corner of Øwregata and Bakkegata.

Last edited by TNAalesund; June 29th, 2013, 19:14.

Enthusiastically regards
      Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Bakkegata, Apotekergata and the ugly city hall in the back...

Last edited by TNAalesund; June 29th, 2013, 19:15.

Enthusiastically regards
        Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Bakkegata are steep...

Enthusiastically regards
          Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Helleborg 2. A big villa at the top of the island..

Enthusiastically regards
            Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Detail of helleborg 2.

Last edited by TNAalesund; June 29th, 2013, 19:16.

Enthusiastically regards
              Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Hellegata.

Last edited by TNAalesund; June 29th, 2013, 19:17.

Enthusiastically regards
                Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Torbjørn, you are marvellous - thank you so very much indeed. What a treat that was to accompany you on a little personal walking tour. With delight I recognised streets and buildings from my own wanderings. Others were new to me - I love correlating maps with photos of places, and now I have it all worked out and understand exactly why I never discovered the viewpoint Storhaugen. Now I know how to get there and you can be sure it will be my first objective next visit.
                  I hadn’t even been right up close to the Aspøya school – I would certainly have photographed the shield over the door if I had! – I just adore the boat with the three fish under the wavy sea.

Even though I am “slowing down” in preparations for going away (because I must start packing soon!), I enjoyed that so much that I want to immediately look out some Ålesund photos for you. You will see that the snow and ice would have limited my walking, especially on the hilly streets. All these photos were taken end January/early February 2004, the time of my longest stay in your beautiful and fascinating town. Between us we will encourage everyone to visit - your tourist board will be so proud of us!

I now realise that I actually have Storhaugen on the right edge of this photo from the lighthouse!

But I had my sights on going to Fjellstua, and understandably so. For had I been on CV at the time, this would have gone in the hotel room views thread – this is from my room at the Scandic Hotel!

I made it! – and in time to see Finnmarken arrive.

I love how the light constantly changes and suddenly the sea is so dark in contrast to the snow.

Comment

Taken from the yard of the Latin School just after I took the sculpture details I posted previously in this thread, it is apparent that I was not going to be walking very quickly along these steep streets.

You were here too – the corner of Øwregata and Bakkegata – more looking up Bakkegata on my photo.

I’m heading for the church – I think along Øwregata – near the junction with Hellegata.

This will be the corner of Latinskolegata.

Comment

From nearer the church and looking back in the other direction, I loved the pink/red colour of this house. Something about it seems sort of Christmassy to me, that colour contrasting with the white snow and adjacent buildings and the bare birch trees.

The church.

Looking from the church along Aspegata towards Aspøya school.
                      I should have followed these people up to the school and then left into Markvegen to reach the viewpoint!

Your second photo of Kirkegata shows a lovely house at the corner of Aspegata. Here is another view of it from the churchyard. I was sure this was where there is a famous art nouveau feature showing a face – it is on all the postcards of Alesund – but it is very difficult to find. Eventually I realised it is at the back of the house. The picture you often see of it must have been taken from upstairs in a building in the next street down the hill, or perhaps even before some newer buildings there were constructed. I was so pleased with myself for managing to find it.

Comment

Here is an easier to find art nouveau feature:

It is on the facade of this cafe in Kirkegata, here photographed from the yard of the Latin school. I enjoyed a snack and drinks here, a friendly pleasant place.

I loved your photo of the big villa at Helleborg 2. I didn’t take that road (as you have seen I was walking parallel to it along Øwregata) but here is a detail of another big villa I liked, situated near to the way to Fjellstua, at Einarvikgata.

Comment

Here I have returned to the Helle Bridge.

I just had to include a detail of stone decoration on a building in the town centre. If you have been following “A few days on Finnmarken” you will know it is now painted green!

Finally, complete with an owl in the stained glass, a moody evening photo of the old Latin School, now Ålesund Videregående skole.

Comment

Thank you Cecilia. Glad you found the position of Storhaugen You have so many nice pictures from Ålesund (Aspøya). I guess you see everything in a total different way than me who live here... I love your pictures. They want me to look up places I haven't seen myself

BTW. I see you have captured Kirkegata 9 - The house with the huge flower on the wall - my neighbour
                            Last edited by TNAalesund; January 11th, 2009, 21:52.

Enthusiastically regards
                            Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Great images which gives me a brand new respect and interest in this lovely city.

Hope some day I can find a living in such a great city, if it were to be Aalesund, I wouldn't be crying any tears!
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                                Hope some day I can find a living in such a great city, if it were to be Aalesund, I wouldn't be crying any tears!
                                You will be most welcome here in Ålesund Jan-Olav

Enthusiastically regards
                                Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Working...
                                X