Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World hotel room views

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    ... and I feel we are in Thailand. But I do not recognize some of the buildings...
    I googled Lek Villa, seen in the distance in the photo, and it does indeed turn out to be in Thailand…in Pattaya! But as their website mentions “on the new location of Pattaya City area” I guess that many of these buildings are new since you were there pakarang.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
      I googled Lek Villa, seen in the distance in the photo, and it does indeed turn out to be in Thailand…in Pattaya! But as their website mentions “on the new location of Pattaya City area” I guess that many of these buildings are new since you were there pakarang.
      Ahhaaa.... that is probably why I didn't recognize them... Pattaya was almost always a place I stayed well away from: too much of the mafia and .... oh well, a seedy town to me.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        Ahhaaa.... that is probably why I didn't recognize them... Pattaya was almost always a place I stayed well away from: too much of the mafia and .... oh well, a seedy town to me.
        Yes we are in Pattaya and the hotel room with the bath tub in the middle is at the Amari Orchid Hotel, which is situated not too far from this place:

But then you probably forgot about your little Travel Agent in Pattaya??

Pattaya is still seedy, but not a "Pushy" as it used to be. Yes there are hundreds or bars and thousands of whores in the "old" town, but you can actually walk along the Beach Road reasonably unassailed.

A surprising number of families with young kids seen at the hotel I was staying in, which was one of the new big developments on the North West side of town and the nearest to Laem Chabang Port, where I was visiting a Shipyard.

I remember returning to Pattaya the day after the Airport re-opened from the Yellow shirt occupation a couple of years ago.
        Reading the papers any seeing the news on TV, you were lead to believe that there had been a mass exodus of tourists, and even residents, from Thailand.

I therefore expected to find the town quite, with only starving whores left behind. I was very surprised to find it was "business as usual".
        Pattaya, the town that never sleeps and doesn't even slow down for anything.
        Last edited by ombugge; June 10th, 2011, 10:48.

Comment

Our beautiful rooms in London at The Stafford (where Miss Duckie came from !!)

Comment

Hotel Intercontinental, Sydney, Australia

Comment

I love the entrance of the one in London: do you have more of the room?

So cozy!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

how lovely, really like the B n B, thinking what a nice little home that would make for me !!!!

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                  A not so pleasant view:

This was the view with the blinds drawn:
                  view with the blinds drawn, so funny really made me laugh

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Radisson Blu Royal Garden Hotel, Trondheim.

Room 437

I stayed here because they had a good summer deal in this small single room. I don’t seem to have taken the view across the road, and the other window faced into one of the glassed in atrium-like areas. It was at the far end in this outside view of the hotel.

Comment

Thon Hotel, Kristiansund.

You are already familiar with this hotel from exterior views in Sterkoder’s photos.
                      I don’t have the room number to hand, but it is a lower priced room in the new part of the hotel.

What a view!

Cosy at night, and if you stay up late you get a view of this!

Comment

Hilton Copenhagen Airport.

Room 1133

The four corridors of rooms leading out from a central atrium face different directions, and I had an airport view.

(for pakarang! )

Comment

Re: Hilton Copenhagen Airport.

I love the way Norwegian hotel rooms are always using wooden floors and hence look so much cleaner than the filthy carpets in so many other places. I have never seen the room at Royal Garden I think, so this was new for me.

But the best part of all these new images, was the close up of the aircraft of my private airline . Nothing like them 747's of Thai Airways!

Comment

Re: Hilton Copenhagen Airport.

Cecilia, you have to remember the room number of Kristiansund, because that is a "must-have-view" for CVers!!
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ralf…I must have the number somewhere…but it isn’t actually essential for the reason you mention…simply request a bridge or harbour view room! The staff are really helpful and friendly. I hadn’t made any special requests when hurriedly booking my last-minute arrangements and simply took advantage of a low price room at an attractive summer offer! Next time (note the rather definite tone of those two words!) I shall treat myself to a room in the old converted part of the hotel, many of which have original wooden beams and features.

Pakarang, actually this room in the new building had a very dark brown thick carpet! It remains to be seen how this survives, but yes, I am generally in total agreement with what you say about wooden floors.

As for the Royal Garden hotel in Trondheim, I have stayed there once before in a much bigger room – and that is usually the case in Scandinavia which mostly works on a per room rather than per person rate system. Small rooms with single narrow bed is therefore mostly found due to the layout of the building, and in this case was made more attractive from having windows on two adjacent walls. But there are so many attractive hotels in Trondheim. I like the old bakery…but it isn’t quite as good as this chain of hotels used to be before being taken over by Choice Hotels. I have been to many in Sweden, all in converted buildings with a fascinating history…they used to give you a booklet with this information and old pictures and I still have quite a few from various hotels.

Rambling slightly OT again, I very much enjoy interesting hotels but I do miss staying in cabins and out of the way places…I used to do this a lot in Sweden despite being limited to public transport ( I mean on holiday on my own, not just with the guys on working field trips), so I suppose it is simply my coastal ship urges which has kept me to hotels in the ports in Norway. I ought to stowaway with some of you guys on inland travels sometime.

Comment

Oh, that reminds me... we should have created a thread for UNIQUE SPECIAL hotels around the world. I will do now.

Comment

Working...
                                X