World hotel room views

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World hotel room views

Now ain't that a great hotel or what Thijs?!

Comment

View from my room at Harris Resort, Waterfront City, Batam:

It has change much since last time I posted a picture or two from here.

Early morning view:

Comment

I just got back from sailing in the British Virgin Islands. After spending a week on a sailboat with limited water we spent a few days at the Bella Visa bed & breakfast in Charlotte Amalie on the US Virgin Island of St. Thomas.

I'll start with a couple views. It is very important to notice our location high on the ridge overlooking the old town. More on that later.

Here is the view from the pool.

and this was the view from our room's balcony.

a better view of the balcony

our bedroom

the sitting room

Comment

I've been going to St. Thomas and Charlotte Amalie for over 20 years and I was aware of it's increasing crime problem. Out on the town during the day and talking to the locals all said "you'll be fine in this area... don't go toward that end of town... make sure you're off the streets before it get's late". Ok, that's usual advice for any town.

The Bella Vista is a absolutely beautiful little place on top of the ridge overlooking town. The only place overlooking it is the Governor's Residence. A very steep walk up stepped streets makes for good exercise and a secure defensible location. Thick stone walls with deep porches so no fire from the town is an issue unless standing at the edge overlooking town and even then people would have to shoot up at more than a 45 degree angle. Yes, that becomes important.

2:30 the first night "POP... POP... POP" in the street below. I subconsciously registered the first shot as I rolled off the bed and was wide awake and moving by the second and waiting for the third. Then a short while later seven more shots. Oh, so that's how it's going to be...

The following morning I mentioned it to the proprietor. "Yea, the gunfire really freaks out people that are not used to it ..." "... it's safe up here...". So much for Caribbean paradise.

Comment

The rest of the time my hotel room view looked more like this from the deck of a 45 foot ketch.

Comment

Here was the other view of my "hotel" for a week. Wifey stayed mostly on deck while I spent as much time as possible in the water. Coming home was swimming until I saw that full keel come into view. A welcome sight a few times when the current was running.

This was my wife's 40th birthday vacation and she could pick anything she wanted. She wanted to go sailing and it had to be a proper boat. No catamaran would do and she stuck up a finger at the mere mention of a motor yacht. She wanted a real sailboat and picked a full keeled, center cokcpit ketch (yes, she's a keeper). Something good for crossing oceans and a bit out of place among the BVI charter fleet. Not as fast as the light charter boats but not an issue when the next island is only a few hours away. We could head upwind better than most and the heavy keel smoothed out the ride and that full hull form provided good room down below.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                A better view can be had from the Roof Terrace at 11th floor.

Looking South along the beach:

Same view in the evening sun:
                Quite a spectacular view.... the beach waves seems like they are about to consume the beach road.

But the MB-suite was the best!
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Holiday Inn Resort at Waterfront City, Batam is an all right hotel with 1 and 2 bedroom suites: http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnresorts...tel-room-rates

Here is some pictures from a standard room.
                  The Entrance and dining area:

Sitting room with balcony outside:

Comment

The bedroom. This one with two single beds:

Large door to/from the sitting room:

Entrance to the Bathroom:

The Bathroom:

(I also stayed in a 2-bedroom suite one night, but did not take any pictures from there)

Comment

View from the balcony is restricted to within the hotel area for most part:

With a little look to the outside world:

My room was in Building #2, but the view from the other buildings would not be much different.
                      Last edited by ombugge; August 22nd, 2013, 05:26.

Comment

From the open hallway on the other side the view is a bit broader.
                        The burnt out skeleton of the Snow World is still there:

Waterfront City seen from the back:

Waterfront City Ferry Terminal is not among the busiest anymore:
                        Last edited by ombugge; August 22nd, 2013, 05:30.

Comment

Girls in skimpy bikini can be seen here, but they are usually tourists.
                          Local girls are more modestly attired when in the pool:

Last edited by ombugge; August 22nd, 2013, 05:34.

Comment

Following my apologetic post #312 in this thread, it's finally catch-up time!

Hilton Tower Bridge, London
                            30 April 2013
                            Room 624

The hotel was conveniently located for the start of the cruise British Isles Explorer aboard Fram. That ship was also the reason for my previous stay here in May 2007 at the time of Fram’s maiden voyage, and I recollect that this hotel was also new then and had only just opened.

However that previous visit had not prepared me for the hotel room view, and when I drew the net curtains aside I gasped out loud. For there, glinting in the sunlight, was a view of London’s magnificent new skyscraper, The Shard!
                            I had to take my photo through the glass window and at an awkward angle, but I think it conveys the thrill of the view nevertheless.

Comment

Sofitel Alter Wall, Hamburg

12-15 May 2013
                              Room 6302

The cruise aboard Fram ended in Hamburg, and so at last I got to see a city that I'd always intended to visit but which perhaps just needed the extra motivation that the end point of the cruise provided. Moreover the convenient direct flights to Edinburgh (Easyjet) are not daily, making it easy to decide to stay on for four nights. I wanted somewhere close to the waterfront – but did I say that we arrived on the last day of the annual harbour birthday festivities? I was also prepared to choose a more up-market hotel where "cabin-mate" could simply hang out and relax and be waited on should he wish, much as he had become accustomed to on the ship.

The Sofitel Alter Wall ticked all the boxes, and even turned out to be the hotel Hurtigruten was using for both departing and arriving guests booking an inclusive flight and hotel package with their cruise. We were even able to buy their transfer rather than having the complication of organising a taxi from the more distant mooring place Fram had been allocated due to the harbour festivities.

The hotel's exterior restrained modernity, its brickwork and windows fitting in with the mix of surrounding buildings, doesn't immediately suggest the more "designer hotel" style interior. This is the street side. It's a great location, for a few minutes walk in that direction brings one to the town hall square, whilst in the opposite direction it isn't far to reach the Elbe waterfront.

The hotel entrance, taken from the same spot as the previous photo.

Comment

The building backs onto one of the fascinating canals that link the Alster lakes to the Elbe waterfront. Here is a view from the 6th floor canal-side room.

Looking along the canal, it was good to see a gap site being redeveloped, completing the canal side walkway. The hotel were apologetic about the noise of building works meanwhile, but the efficient glazing eliminated disturbance in the room, and there were still times of day when it was pleasant to take refreshments outside on the café terrace.

Comment

Working...
                                X