• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagull
    replied
    Scandic City Hotel, Bergen

Scandic City Hotel, Bergen
    6 November 2011

At the end of the southbound voyage on Nordstjernen, it was very convenient to walk the short distance from the Hurtigruten terminal to the Scandic City Hotel on Håkonsgaten.

This is the hotel, but it has expanded into a second building across the road, and that was where my room was located:

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Rica Ishavshotel, Tromsø

Rica Ishavshotel, Tromsø
    29 October 2011
    Room 614

I don’t really have an absolute favourite “must-choose” hotel in Tromsø, or in Trondheim either…Rica Hotels used to be lower in my list until one could get SAS Eurobonus points for stays there…not a big deal you might think, but every little helps. There aren’t many trips I take where I don’t manage some kind of free hotel night or flight or upgrade on some scheme or other.

The Rica Ishavshotel is a well known architectural landmark in Tromsø. But as in Edinburgh, the number of restaurants and bars and other eateries has increased over the years, and hotel restaurants have a lot of competition. At Ishavshotel, breakfast is taken at the far, town end, of the ground floor, and there are some smaller rooms for private functions, but there are seemingly acres of tables opposite reception which hardly ever seem to be occupied. In summer I assumed it must be busier with Norwegian clientele in winter, and in winter I was thinking it must be busier with foreign tourists in summer. I still don’t know if I have missed the busy months and times, or if the architecture has become out of tune with present day fashions. Admittedly, I myself wandered a few yards along the quays and had dinner at the new-to-me Lotus restaurant…

But otherwise I did spend quite a lot of time in the hotel, in my room looking out of the window! This hotel, like the Seilet Hotel in Molde, is all about the view.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    It is a “Maritime” style room, though to be honest the maritime touches are fairly minimal, but most of all I liked how placing the bed at an angle into a fairly standard hotel room size/shape gave it a pleasing ambiance. Oh and that window actually completely opens, as if to encourage more serious photography of that airport view. Makes you think the room ought to have an aviation theme…but yes, I do realise that “maritime”, “oriental” and “Scandinavian” were introduced into all the hotels when they were SAS hotels …and not just hotels at airports, though I first encountered the décor at Arlanda Sky City, Stockholm. Seems a long time ago…

At both those locations, and at other airport hotels such as the Hilton in Copenhagen, it is nice to take a short stroll into the terminal, check in and baggage drop while it’s relatively quiet, and then back to the hotel for a really relaxed and laid back buffet breakfast!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Radisson Blu Hotel, Oslo Airport

Radisson Blu Hotel, Oslo Airport, Gardermoen
    28 October 2011
    Room 5515

So here it is…and what a hotel room view! Not surprisingly you’ve seen it before in my 366 Skyscape project.
    Last edited by Seagull; January 2nd, 2012, 19:10.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Following on my posts of Tromsø these last few days, you may have guessed I’d been gathering momentum for finally posting some piccies in the Hurtigruten Autumn Cruise thread! But I was so pleased to see Keelson's photos and it could be way too confusing to mix up two voyages from November…so please carry on Joakim. I’ll follow on when you disembark! Well this turns out to be a very good thing because I just saw this post of mine here in the hotels thread, and realised I hadn’t posted the associated hotels from that Autumn Cruise…or indeed the other two trips away I’ve had since…so I think I’ll be hanging out in this thread for a quite a while!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied
    Re: World hotel room views

I am jealous to see that Indonesian hotels still have diving boards in their pool.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

Mesra Hotel, Samarinda, the grounds:

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

This is Mesra Hotel, Samarinda, East Kalimanten, Indonesia.

View from my window:

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

A friend of mine recently stayed at the room on the 3rd floor of SKARVEN HOTEL in Tromsø:

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
    The Edisto River? Not the one in Carolina, USA, but the Indonesian one in Batam?
    Edisto River in Batam??? There is hardly any rivers on Batam Island worthy of the name. Some creeks yes, but no real rivers.

I was referring to Singapore's skyline in the far distance. (40 min. by ferry, 40 years in development)

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied

[QUOTE=ombugge;75166]View from my hotel room at the I-Hotel, Nagoya, in Batam:
    Can anybody see what is in the far distance here?:

The Edisto River? Not the one in Carolina, USA, but the Indonesian one in Batam?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

It's been a LONG time since I was in San Antonio, but Riverwalk is lovely.... but it's sort of like JR Ewing traveled to Amsterdam and said "gee, I want one of these here cute little thangies in Texas...."

(and please note the Texan use of "thAngies" instead of my traditional "thingie"...."thang" is DEFINITELY a Texas-type word...like "gal" instead of "girl" and "yella" instead of "yellow"...and you have now had your American dialect education for the day.)

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied

I am really stretching the thread title with this one. The view from my hotel room is not shown anywhere in these photos. Two of the windows in my room looked over the pool with a few children and some overweight people and the third window had a perfect view of the air conditioning units. So, these pictures are from the area around my hotel and what I wished was the view from my window.

This is the closest thing to my view. It's the view from the main level where everyone stuffs their face at the all you can eat breakfast and free drinks from 5:30 to 7:30.

Here is a general lay of the land. It was about 1.5 miles (2k) for me to walk to and from work each morning. The entire way lined with trendy restaurants and bars.

Near the brewery to the left is one of the flood controls. They raise and lower the gates as needed to maintain the level of the river in the center of town. NO laughing from the Dutch! This is high tech stuff to us Americans.

There is a second set of gates that can be raised during times of flood to protect the side loop of the river. The tourist area is spared the flooding while the water flows straight on through.

And just a pretty view of a section of the river not bordered by touristy restaurants and bars.

Last edited by pilotdane; November 22nd, 2011, 04:17.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

View from my hotel room at the I-Hotel, Nagoya, in Batam:

Can anybody see what is in the far distance here?:
    Last edited by ombugge; November 16th, 2011, 06:35.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X