Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trondheim Airport Værnes / Hell Airport...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah...., I agree...., these were average....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Jan-Olav, please....., don't be so modest, it don't suit you!!!

I think your pictures, AS ALWAYS, are very good, and I enjoy a picture from Værnes in particular everytime I see one.
    So please continue to post from that lovely airport!

(I spent 12 months at that airport, among them 9 as a crew chief of the Royal Norwegian Air Force Pilot School SAAB MFI-15 Safari. We were located in Hangar 5, almost visible on a picture or two from J-O. Those were some of the best months in my life).
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

YYYAAAAAWWWWWWWNNNNNNNN.....yeap more boring ol' Pakarang photos.....

Could it be any prettier in Trondheim today??? Could KLM be any more "MaisonCouRouge Blue"??? Could the prop plane be any cooler looking???

You must be off coffee...how do you keep the camera so still???? I obviously have a LOT to learn.....

Ok, I've got to come visit, if for no other reason than to be able to have friends ask "Where are you going?" and I can say "the airport in Hell".........

(although some holier-than-thou types around here have probably already said that..........................)

Comment

I'm awake!

The Dash 8 is one of my favorite planes. I could look at pictures of them all day long. I've always thought it would be very cool to turn one of the engine nacells into a high performance plane. The big 4 blade prop and air intake give them the look of a powerfull WWII fighter.

Comment

Thank you so very much... for all the comments. (And here I was thinking these kind of images was already seen once too much... )....

Is there any way to find out where that overhead QATAR aircraft could be heading? I was so intrigued by that one that I missed a couple of landings, thought it was awesome to spot it 30.000 feet below him...

I know the Airbus 380 of Emirates flies over Trondheim (Vassfjellet) at 13:00 hours occasionally, but so far, I have not been able to spot it even after so many days staring, and looking, and waiting...
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post

The Dash 8 ...... very cool to turn one of the engine nacells into a high performance plane. The big 4 blade prop and air intake give them the look of a powerfull WWII fighter.
            Dane, was that English????? All I caught was "prop" --the spinning thingy, right? and something about an engine somewhere...

Comment

Is there some kind of shipspotter for planes that you could check to see the Emirates location?????

Comment

Pakarang – There is no such concept as too many when it comes to photos from Værnes like these!

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                Is there some kind of shipspotter for planes that you could check to see the Emirates location?????
                I have PlanePlotter which is a “sister” programme to ShipPlotter:- http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm

But it relies on sharing received data, and there doesn’t seem to be much once you get north of Oslo/Stockholm. Great for locally in Scotland though.

Comment

I use this one. Click on the moving planes, and a full info window will appear in the upper right corner.

http://www.flygradar.nu/flygradar.php

I guess that Qatar-plane were going to either JFK or Washington DC (George Bush ?)

Comment

That would have been Qatar Flight EK 083, flying the great circle route from Doha to New York. Leaving Doha 0810 hrs. and arr. JFK at 1500 hrs. every day, or QR 051 to Washington DC, leaving Doha 0900 and arriving 1620 hrs. The plane used is listed as a B-777, by may be replaced with A-380 by now. Qatar Airways has daily flights on both these routes, which may be over Vaernes around mid-day.

Nearly all trans Atlantic flights from N.Europe to N.America have their last fixed beacon contact somewhere on the west coast of Norway, before they start the open ocean crossing. Where depends on their origin and destination. In this case they had an easterly origin and east coast destination, so they would be near apex at this point.

Those on the Trans Polar flights to Anchorage or Tokyo usually leave the coast at Bodoe or Andoya, as far as I know.

I don't know if this will change now since reliance on GPS navigation only is allowed on long haul routes like the one from Dubai to New York.

Singapore Airlines fly Singapore - Houston via Moscow, which also pass over Norway en route. Possibly Vaernes?

Comment

All you say is correct, 'ombugge'

The A380 from Singapor A. have flown out as far south as Kristiansund a couple of times, but most often fly out over Værnes/Rørvik.

I belive the Qatar on J-Os picture might be a 777, as it got two engines, and as we know, the A380 has four.

Most seen over Kristiansund are Finnair, United and Delta. Also some from Aeroflot from time to time.

The most impressive over here are the times when SAS A340 decend towards Copenhagen.
                      We see details with a usual binocular...

Speaking of which...., right now..., within 10 minutes, a B767 from Aeroflot (AFL315) is flying directly over Trondheim at 32.000 feet making 405 knots. The flight goes from Moscow Sheremetyevo to New York JFK.
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; September 17th, 2009, 16:42.

Comment

Sterkoder.
                        Do you know if they still rely upon fixes from beacons or just DPS, in which case that don't HAVE to pass directly above an aero beacon?
                        I read somewhere that it is now more up to the pilot to pick his route, once he is airborne.

In shipping it has gone the other way. Before the Master made his own route without telling anybody. Now there has to be a "voyage plan", which must be approved by god and sundry. I'm glad I sailed in the days when the Master WAS the Master of his ship, not a glorified clerk.

Comment

I don't really know, but I know each airline has its own set of routes/airways and the pilots use that storage of preprogrammed routes from their flightcomputers all depending on weather and winds aloft.
                          The pilots are always looking for the best wind (of course) and that may take them on a northern route one week and a southern one the next.
                          I think it's pre-determined what fix they have to use to leave the coastline, and I know Trondheim (Gråkallen) and Ålesund (Vigra) are often used.
                          I don't belive they can make their own way over the Atlantic, because there are preprogrammed routes from air traffic control to use. But then again, there are several to choose from.
                          If 'Norseman' is still with us on our new forum, he might know...

(And as you might expect; I'll try to find out, but right now I'm on job, so I don't have time...).
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; September 17th, 2009, 23:06.

Comment

I had a huge post typed-in earlier today before my Internet died and lost it...

Here in the USA going direct is increasing but moving slowly. It is still limited by the air traffic control system (ATC). The aircraft may be capable of navigating direct but ATC still requires traditional airways and waypoints in busy areas.

Flying in small aircraft I see that the US air traffic system is still not well coordinated. You can file everything before your flight but have a very slim chance that what you filed is what you will get. Even what you are told right before takeoff may change 5 minutes later when you are in the air.

Last years spike in fuel prices was a strong push to develop more efficient approach and departure procedures for the airlines. It there is no real need to fly 5 miles straight from the runway before turning to your destination if you can do it at 2 or 3. For a big airport such a simple change can save thousands of gallons of fuel every month.

Comment

J-Os pictures from my favourite airport Trondheim Airport Værnes are fabulous!
                              It got me digging in my files for pictures I took with my old analog camera at an airshow there in 1996.
                              Here's a Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker of US Air Force

Together with a Boeing E-3A Sentry of NATO

A Piper L-4 Grasshopper, painted in USAF observation colours, but owned by a civil group at Rygge

Inside Hangar 5 (my former place of duty when I was a RNoAF Crew Chief at the RNoAF Pilot School. Our LFS-shield can be seen painted on the wall behind) was this swedish Tommelisa getting ready for her display.

You can read more about the old airplane in this link http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/tummelisa.html

Of course I took more pictures at that airshow, but haven't scanned more than these at this moment

Comment

Some images from yesterday, Saturday, October 17th 2009:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X