Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endless thread ::: Aviation Photographs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That aircraft seen straight ahead with 4 props looks .... ummm.. quite stunning! I bet that would be a beautiful sight seen taking off.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

She sure is a stunning sight. One I've seen many times. And every time I see & hear it I get goosebumps down my spine.

Here she is taking off, turn up the volume!!
      Last edited by SaintsFCFan; September 15th, 2009, 21:31.
      Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

I took these overhead this afternoon. I haven't a clue what type they were, I'm not sure when it comes to civillian aircraft.

This one was at the extreme of my camera's capability.

Comment

B-25 Mitchell, taken at RAF Duxford.

Comment

That little one, G-BVLP, is a Piper PA-38-112 Tomahawk. Brings back good memories as this was the type we started to fly over at FlightSafety Academy in Vero Beach, Florida.
            Flown many hours around in Florida and Georgia in that type

The bigger white one, I can't tell much about it. It seems to me like it's an Airbus, but I'm not sure....
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thank you very much Sterkoder. I do have so much trouble identifying civillian aircraft.

Comment

Here is a captured Argentinian FMA IA 58 Pucarį, at RAF Duxford.

Comment

That looks fun to fly (when better maintained).

I've got a thing for ground attack aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                    That looks fun to fly (when better maintained).

I've got a thing for ground attack aircraft.
                    Yep! I do have a thing for ground attack aircraft too. I always liked the A-10, Sepecat Jaguar and the Harrier.

Comment

Here's one I took of the A-10.

Last edited by SaintsFCFan; September 19th, 2009, 00:49.

Comment

This one as you can see has the Supermarine Spitfire just finished flying, and the Grumman Wildcat going nowhere. After talking with the pilot & mechanic, they were not happy people stating that "they'd worked all the previous night trying to get an engine imbalance cured".
                        Apparently when the engine was brought up to a certain RPM, the vibration was horrendous. I must admit that it did sound pretty bad.

Comment

The English Electric Lightning, gained legendary status with the RAF from it's oustanding capabilities. From it's first flight on 25th Feb 1954 it entered service in 1959, capable of 50,000ft (15,240m) per minute & Mach 2.27 (1,500 mph, 2,415 km/h). Keeping in mind that this is a 1950's design, it is comparable to most fighters of today. It's service ceiling is understated as 60,000ft (18,000 m), it's official ceiling was 87,300 ft (26,600m). A brand new F-104 Starfighter broke the world altitude record with 103,395 ft (31.394m) in a specially prepared aircraft, the Lightning was only a standard type of some 3 years old at that.
                          In 1984 Flt Lt Mike Hale of the RAF surprised the USAF while on a NATO exercise by intercepting an American U-2 spyplane at 88,000ft (26,800 m), not bad for an aircraft of over 25 years old.
                          Sadly the Lightning's achillies heel was it's age. Radar, fuel capacity, range & weapons let it down from not being upgraded due to lack of forsight by the RAF, the Lightning was only ever supposed to be filler until a better aircraft came along.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                            Yep! I do have a thing for ground attack aircraft too. I always liked the A-10, Sepecat Jaguar and the Harrier.

I never had the chance to fly the A-10 for real but I did get some simulator time. Really cool to see the air speed drop when firing a long gun burst. It will not overpower the aircraft and slow the aircraft until it stalls but it will noticeably slow it down. In one mission they gave me unlimited ammo and I held the trigger while at full power. The gun burned off about 10 knots of airspeed but not much else. It was fun noticing how the aircraft changed, especially when landing with a full or empty drum of ammo. Hard to imagine that a load of bullets weigh so much.

I would so love to fly one in real life!!!

Comment

You are so lucky Pilotdane, what I wouldn't give to try that simulator out.
                              But then again, if you had ever seen me flying Microsoft Simulator you'd have nightmares for the rest of your days.

Comment

This of Concorde at RNAS Yeovilton.

Comment

Working...
                                X