Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endless thread ::: Aviation Photographs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laied off old Boeings are often seen as hotels, bars, houses and what not, but I rather fancy that Chase/Fairchaild C-123 Provider there used as a bar/restaurant.
    C-123 has long been a favourite aircraft of mine.
    It's a sind they couldn't keep in near to complete then, at least with the propellers intact....
    But what can one get for $5.000,-....? Radial engines and propellerblades with hub allways gives good money, so I understand they wouldn't deliver that with the airframe only to be used as a bar....
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

They had old pictures posted in the restaurant/bar. For the first several years the plane sat in the open, unprotected from the weather. Then they added a simply tent canopy before finally building a proper roof. Unfortunatley all the years exposed to the tropical weather means this plane is in very bad condition.

The plane was abandoned so I imagine it was scavenged for valuable parts long ago. Then sitting many years, unguarded in Central America left her fair game for looting and stealing. Her sister ship had crashed while ferrying weapons. Many people unknowingly think that the plane in the bar is the one that crashed in the jungle.

Comment

Here is a Sansa Airlines Cessna Caravan that has just landed at Quepos, Costa Rica. The runway is plenty long at 3'000 feet, but I am not used to seeing one so narrow.

And here is the Sansa terminal in San Jose. We taxied by on my flight home.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
          Here is a Sansa Airlines Cessna Caravan that has just landed at Quepos, Costa Rica. The runway is plenty long at 3'000 feet, but I am not used to seeing one so narrow.

Beneath the word REGIONAL, is that the exhaust outlet? Why is it placed there?

And so sorry for my ignorance, but what is the grey belly running beneath the entire plane? Looks modified...
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

You are correct. The "thing" under the word 'regional' is the exhaust outlet. It's placed there just because one simple reason: the design of the engine.

That grey belly 'add on' under there is an optional cargo bay.

Comment

Looked out this afternoon, and this is what I saw!

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Wow..., lucky you!
                Red Arrows in what seems to be in the Concorde-formation...
                (If you follow the outlines of the formation, it formes the outlines of a Concorde, seen here in a slightly diving left 45 degree bank turn...., roughly....).
                Last edited by Sterkoder; September 13th, 2009, 22:54.

Comment

I see the Red Arrows pretty often from where I am. I usually ignore them it's so usual.

Comment

This is photo when all the right light and conditions came together just right. Which is unusual for me!

Hawker Siddeley Harrier

Comment

Didn't think that BAC 1-11 was in use any more, but that one in the back there is operated by Empire Test Pilot School (hece the golden letters ETPS on the side).
                      Great photo, by the way!!

(Never liked 'french fences' though...).

Comment

Thank you Sterkoder! I found that British Airways retired it's last BAC 1-11 in 1998. I think their demise was something to do with noise pollution. At least I think it was?

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                          Thank you Sterkoder! I found that British Airways retired it's last BAC 1-11 in 1998. I think their demise was something to do with noise pollution. At least I think it was?
                          Yes, that's correct. The BAC 1-11 had engines that made it unusable for civil passenger transport in and out of civil airports according to new rules and regulations implemented in the late 90's. But you see, that didn't count for the military....
                          And for civil operators, the engines and aircraft design became so expencive to use, that it too became part of the reason why the type vanished as a civil operated aircraft.

Comment

Here is one I'm sure you will know.
                            I will have to make the time to take a trip to the our local base in the next few weeks to photograph some take off & landings.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                              Looked out this afternoon, and this is what I saw!

How cool to be able to see your tax dollars at work and have an air show at the same time.

Before moving into our current home we lived on a lake that had a large power plant. The Air Force would often practice bombing the plant, or use it as a turn point. Some people complained about the noise and had the training flights cancelled from our area. It's a shame. I really enjoyed the weekly air show.

Comment

Avro Lancaster. Brainchild of Roy Chadwick, Chief Designer of A.V. Roe and Company (AVRO).
                                It started life as the ill-fated Avro Manchester, powered by two Rolls-Royce Vulture engines it was seriously under powered and caused more aircraft losses than through action.
                                This led to the developement of the legendary four engined Avro Lancaster, an instant hit with it's crews.
                                Later the Avro Lancaster would be developed further with the Avro Lincoln, Avro York and the Avro Shackleton (another story).

Comment

Working...
                                X