Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endless thread ::: Aviation Photographs..

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's also correct.
    To begin with this fighter was solely designed for the US Navy and US Marine Corps to operate in and out (or was that out or in...?) of aircraft carriers.

Since then, other air forces have added the Hornet to their inventory, as the Finnish AF, Canadian and Swiss AF, Australian AF, Spain AF, Kuwait and Malaysian AF.

The Hornet, or then Y/F-17, was developed by Northrop back in 1978 and was turned into service in 1983.
    The price pr. unit, depending on which model, is US $ 29 to 57 million (2006).
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Correct, 'Asimut'...., and thanks for that nice picture!

The totally correct name for those aircraft (LN-LTG and LN-LTJ) is Hawker Beechcraft Corporation B200.
      The operator is Lufttransport AS, but they are owned by and registered to Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB in Stockholm.

Comment

Sterkoder, you are such a wealth of information! You are like the human personification of the old style Encyclopedia... !
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Google Earth at the north side of Tromsøya:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

And since that aircraft on the Google Earth-picture is a high-wing aircraft, I would guess that is a Bombardier DeHavilland Canada DHC-8-100 from Widerøe AS.
            The aircraft on the picture don't have the characteristic wingshape of a Hawker Beechcraft, rather the straight outlines of the DHC-8.
            I also see, or am strongly convinced, that it has high mounted elevators on top of the tailfin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
              And since that aircraft on the Google Earth-picture is a high-wing aircraft, I would guess that is a Bombardier DeHavilland Canada DHC-8-100 from Widerøe AS.
              The aircraft on the picture don't have the characteristic wingshape of a Hawker Beechcraft, rather the straight outlines of the DHC-8.
              I also see, or am strongly convinced, that it has high mounted elevators on top of the tailfin.
              I was waiting for the name of the aircraft, it's call sign and the name of the pilots...

But naturally, you go to keep some secrets, right?

I totally agree with you, the elevators on the tailfin are high... well, as far as I read the image at least.

Comment

it's call sign and the name of the pilots...
                If I got the exact time of when the picture was taken, that would be like steeling candy from a kid...

Comment

These I took at Newark Airfield England.

Avro Vulcan, when they flew her in they had only 6,000ft for the biggest most powerful of heavy bombers to ever land at an non-licensed UK airfield closed for 30 years. She did make it in with one hell of a roar from her 4 Olympus engines. She only needed 2,300ft of runway, testament to her pilot methinks!

Business end, Avro Vulcan bomb bay.

Avro Vulcan c0ckpit, I wouldn't like to take this kite to war. Especially seeing as only the front two had ejector seats, the other three didn't.
                  Last edited by SaintsFCFan; September 8th, 2009, 23:08.
                  Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Great report!
                    That AVRO Vulcan XM594 (also reg. XM598) was once operative with the RAF 44th Squadron at Waddington.
                    I belive that black Canberra there with that strange nose cone, was a testbed for the nosecone of the (then) coming new design Partenavia Tornado.
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; September 9th, 2009, 22:11.

Comment

Your welcome sir! I do have a full image of the black Canberra somewhere, I'll find it out for you.
                      Meanwhile, here's another for you, the Avro Shackleton MR.3/3. Avro Lancaster to Avro Lincoln to finally the Avro Shackleton.
                      With a crew of 10, the Shack could fly maritime patrol for 14.6 hours at a service ceiling of 20,200 ft (6,200 m). Or a range of 2,250 miles (3,620 km).
                      This one seen here is MR3 WR977, oddly the MR3's were less reliable than the MR2's.
                      MR3 WR977 seen here at Newark Airfield (RAF Winthorpe WWII), is one of the growing list of aircraft.

The infamous main-spar of the wing in all Avro Lancaster, persists in the Avro Shackleton. Resulting in skinned skins for all who ignored it.

Anyone care to guess the aircraft next to the Shack?

Tight and confine space to the tail position.

Comment

Anyone care to guess the aircraft next to the Shack?
                        Hahahah...., guess who....??

The cargo plane is a Handley Page Hastings T5, then we have the small Supermarine Swift and to the right, there is a Gloster Javelin FAW.8

The infamous main-spar of the wing in all Avro Lancaster, persists in the Avro Shackleton. Resulting in skinned skins for all who ignored it.
                        Just take a look at this, and the other, interior images of the Shack.... Can you imagine 14.6 hours in one of those chairs...., or that hull for that matter?
                        Those guys (and girls?) really deserved the succeding aircraft of the Shack; BAe Nimrod and later Boeing E-3 Sentry.
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; September 9th, 2009, 22:25.

Comment

Excellent Sterkoder, methinks no guess work needed for you 'eh!
                          I found the Shack to be extremely cramped, and one thought did cross my mind while navigating through the fuselage, how the heck did you make a quick exit if one went down.
                          Indeed a 14 hour stint in the Shack wasn't something my cousin enjoyed too much, although I'm still not sure why he joined air sea rescue on sea Kings, he replaced boredom for danger. Saying that though, he did tell me some amazing things that don't see the light of day in public.

Comment

he did tell me some amazing things that don't see the light of day in public.
                            That I can imagine
                            I have two buddies who once was fighter pilots in RNoAF 338 sqn. and they have over years now and then told me things that are hilarious....., and episodes I've laughed so much about.
                            Once you've got the wings and starting your emloyment out with the sqn., I belive there are very much fun in the midst of the seriousity of being a military pilot...

Comment

One of the off beat things that my cousin and his crew would do, was too come over the top of my house with their Sea King helicopter and hang out of the side and wave. Embarrrasing from being a regular thing, but damn funny!

Comment

This one marginally fits into the airplane section. I saw this 737 turned into a hotel suite in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. If you look closely you can see that part of the wing has been turned into an outside patio/deck.

And happens to be located across the street from this restaurant & bar (El Avion).

The transport was used in the United States Iran Contra scandal smuggling weapons. It was abandoned on an airfield in Honduras, bought for $5'000 (US Dollars) disassembled and transported to Costa Rica in pieces to be turned into the bar.

Comment

Working...
                                X