Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC-3A at OSL

Flying Veterans arrived OSL with a DC-3, an old SAS aircraft on May 12

Flygande Veteraner (SAS) - SE-CFP - Douglas C47A (DC-3A) by Tom McNikon, on Flickr

Flygande Veteraner (SAS) - SE-CFP - Douglas C47A (DC-3A) by Tom McNikon, on Flickr

I tried to get the A330 from SAS in the background, but it didnt come ut as I hoped it would

Taxi tiback to the GA terminal after re-fuel

RWY ahead

Bye for now and it was a pleasure to see you

View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Very nice report and pics Tom. They bring back some memories.

I did my very first flight in a DC-3 back 52 years ago. That was with Fred Olsen charter, from Kr.sand to Rotterdam to join my very first conventional ship.

Since then I have flown in DC-3s many times and many places, but I especially remember a flight in 1967 from Surabaya, intended to Jakarta with a Garuda DC-3 that still had the original canvas seats from her military days.

The departure was delayed by more than an hour because; "the Pilot is having coffee with his friends". When we eventually took off it quickly got very cold in the cabin since there were several missing rivets allowing cold air to enter.

After a short flight we made an unscheduled landing in Semarang and was told to get out. We ended up having to take the "Lima Express" train to Jakarta over night. No explanations and no refund.

That was the "good old days".

The second flight I remember well was from Manila to Puerto Princesa, Palawan Island in the Philippines sometime in 1976.
    Printed near the entrance door was this message; "This aircraft is properly maintained and certified".
    I thought that was minimum requirement to fly passengers, but apparently not in the Philippines at that time. It was a selling point!!

I have been trying to recall the last time I flew in one, but cannot entirely remember. I think maybe in the early 1990s, also in Indonesia.

Does anybody know how many DC-3s are still in commercial service???
    And how many are flying, but as "museum pieces" like this one??

Comment

What beautiful photos.

I have no idea how many are still flying. I know it is very rare to see one in the air in the USA but I have seen them on the tarmac in Central and South America. I guess you can not keep a good aircraft down.

Comment

This is undoubtedly a very RARE sighting indeed: but I'm so thrilled that you were the one to witness it, because these images is superb in quality as always.

What a beautiful aircraft it is also... makes my heart pound a lot faster.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
        X