Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking pictures on board aircrafts

Taking pictures on board aircrafts

A friend of mine called today, he had been out flying with Norwegian and was told by the air hostess that it was not allowed to take pictures out the window at take off or landing....

Now, this a new regulation I have never heard before... I find it incredibly dumb and yet another really silly regulation imposed by airlines not knowing a thing about it.

After the flight, my friend approached the air staff and asked them why it was not allowed to take pictures during take off and landing. The senior cabin steward told him that it interfered with flight instruments!!!

What exactly is interfering with the flight instruments?

The tiny 4" screen at the back of the camera?

The radiation from the tiny battery pack?

The zoom?

This is more airline bˆllsh|t in my opinion. The wattage on a digital camera is minuscule because an awful lot of engineering goes into making that tiny battery last as long as possible.

Stop up for a while and think about it: you have a tiny solid state electronic, an image processor the size of your little fingernail, and a 2.5" LCD screen, all of which use a fraction of a watt. Yes, a fraction of a single tiny watt!!!!

If the airplanes are so dangerous as to be vulnerable to less than a fraction of a watt of power, then we are SOOOO in trouble.

I can think of a hundred other things way more powerful, and way more dangerous: lightning, runway lighting, passengers farting, that car alarm key fob in your pocket with a battery in it -- all that have a LOT more emissions than a digital camera!

Any comments, or am I fumbling in blind (again)?
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

This is some bull DY (Norwegian Airlines) must've come up with on their own, or even worse....., something served by that cabin crew alone.

There could be some logistic point in it if DY took off from a combined military/civil airport; Bardufoss, Bodø, Rygge or so (pictures vs. secrets), but a camera disterbing flight instruments...? Never!

Did you see 'Mythbusters' on Discovery Channel...?

They tried with all the means they could think of to disturbe flight instruments and they were unlucky in every attemt.

These things with electronic equipment on take off and landing are just something implemented by airlines "just in case"...., because they simply don't know...

How about all those thousands of pictures and videos taken from a passenger seats over the years during take offs and landings?
    We would've had so many "happenings" in civil aviation no one would've dared to fly!

DY: Shame on you!
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

You've gotta love the blanket rule: no electronics. All while the safety briefing is being played on a tv monitor. Is a digital camera, Game Boy, PSP or iPod going to interfere with the aircrafts electronics???

I have only found one accident that may have been caused by a cell phone. It was a medical transport flight aboard a King Air. They were on final to land and one of the medics in back placed a cell phone call. No definite cause for the crash has ever been identified but the cell phone call was referenced as a possible contributing factor.

Comment

Thank you both for the comments... that means a lot to me. I do agree, this "new regulation", whether imposed by Norwegian or some silly rule imposed by the flight staff alone, almost seems a bit ludicrous.

I mean, if a digital camera with a tiny screen can threaten an aircraft, then WE ARE IN TROUBLE, and flights with aircrafts should be illegal.

Isn't it illegal to put people's lives at risk... they (the airlines) must be braking that law every day if a digital camera is a danger for the flight!

This is just ridiculous. I think it's time for the airlines to review all their silly regulations.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I think they do it because it is easy. No electronics. Do not use anything with an on/off switch. It's short, simple and to the point.

In today's world where technology changes so fast I don't know how you can determine what to allow and what not. At first I thought do not allow things that transmit, but than I realized that so many devices are now web enabled or wireless in some way or another. My PSP (Play Station Portable) is web enabled and transmits. High end DSL cameras can transmit photos wirelessly.

Basically. I keep my camera hidden until right before take off when the crew is seated, then I take it out of hiding. Just make sure you have the "beep" turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
            Basically. I keep my camera hidden until right before take off when the crew is seated, then I take it out of hiding. Just make sure you have the "beep" turned off.
            We think so alike sometimes... I do to...

Comment

oohh, I was "naughty" on my flight home from NYC.... it was so clear when we left LaGuardia that I had to keep the camera on.............

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                oohh, I was "naughty" on my flight home from NYC.... it was so clear when we left LaGuardia that I had to keep the camera on.............
                I personally know you are a generally 'good girl' so we may need photographic evidence of you ever having been a naughty girl.

Comment

OK good girl. Lets see those pictures!

Comment

Working...
                  X