X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SaintsFCFan
    started a topic Warbird Aviation!!

Warbird Aviation!!

I couldn't think of anything more apt for these old warhorses, over the period of any war there were some highly remarkable aircraft designed, built and flown by uniquely brave pilots.

Let me begin with these two old adversaries of the Supermarine Spitfire & Messerschmitt Bf 109 G10.
    Two of the finest WWII fighters ever built and to watch them flying side by side is just jaw dropping.
    R.J. Mitchell & Wille Messerschmitt certainly created the best known aircraft the world had ever seen... and still today they are supremely iconic!!

• Tommi
    replied
    Luftforsvaret 75 år

Some avesome footage edited to a faschinating video.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Although I never got to meet you in real life, I miss you, Paul :-)

Leave a comment:

• Tommi
    replied
    More air to air of the Gripen:
    https://vimeo.com/174850240

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied
    All I can to that is a big WOW. Paul would have loved watching it.

Leave a comment:

• Tommi
    replied
    A totally awesome air to air footage of the Griffin.
    https://vimeo.com/162088181

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Lucky guy, your father! And if it weren't for that headset, his smile would've gone a complete 360 around his head ;-) I've been on board a B-17 myself (NINE-O-NINE), but on ground only.
    Have flown a DC-3 though, so I might imagine 50% of the sound when I close my eyes and try hard :-D Nice pictures, thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied

My father is an Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) member and has spent much of the past week working with the restored B-17 Aluminum Overcast. Earlier in the week he talked of hours spent washing oil from the bottom of the wings and other numerous unglamorous tasks. His reward came Friday when he got to ride along as the plane was repositioned to central Georgia. So, he got a 2 1/2 hour ride at 2'500 feet (760 m) over the countryside.

He got to fly from the co-pilot's seat for a while and spent a fair bit of time in the nose and other areas offering views not normally seen by most of us.

All of these photos were taken by my father.

Leave a comment:

• SaintsFCFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    Re: Warbird Aviation!!

Can't stop looking at that last picture and thinking about the men who designed it.
    I'mean, look at the lines, all of them...., the designers surely left us some very nice curves to rest our eyes on..

Q: What's that "box" between the two starboard engines ?
    Avro who designed and built the Vulcan were definitely well ahead of their time, nothing like it when you see her up close and personal.

The box, is actually a plate Svein. Whether it's an anti vibration plate I don't really know.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Can't stop looking at that last picture and thinking about the men who designed it.
    I'mean, look at the lines, all of them...., the designers surely left us some very nice curves to rest our eyes on..

Q: What's that "box" between the two starboard engines ?

Leave a comment:

• SaintsFCFan
    replied

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    There is something so very 2alien" about this aircraft - I get that feeling every single time I see it on a photograph.
    She does look unlike any aircraft built for the purpose of heavy bombing, but she is extremely graceful for a big girl.
    I must have several hundred photos of her.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

There is something so very 2alien" about this aircraft - I get that feeling every single time I see it on a photograph.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    Awesome!!!!!!
    I can't find any other word in my short list of english vocabulary...
    Same here actually! Every time I use all the A words – you know, Absolute Awesome, that kind of thing –having Admired what must surely be the ultimate excellence of a Paul-plane-pic, he comes up with another

Looking at that last photo I’m thinking that even if that Vulcan had simply been dangling on a string in front of me I’d never have managed an exposure that captured that surface and light, but she moves, and the occasional time I’ve tried such a photo at an air show or fly-past I consider myself pleased to have managed to get a bit of plane in the picture! But here’s a desirable angle, composition even …and perfectly exposed smoke!

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Awesome!!!!!!
    I can't find any other word in my short list of english vocabulary...
    Thanks for showing us these pictures of a most beautiful lady, my friend!

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
    Great fun!!
    Yeh, well - there's no accounting for taste!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X