Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Queen Mary hitting rough times.... Continued Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Queen Mary hitting rough times.... Continued

    Old Thread Link

    I found an old negative of my dad and RMS Queen Mary taken in 1956, dad was 16 years old back then.

    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

  • #2
    Interesting....i cant tell for sure is that a propeller underneath the crane and can we make out what ships are ahead of the MARY?
    Looks like the funnel is all the way aft as in the SOUTHERN CROSS.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have zoomed in on the original, there are another three ships in front of the Queen. But I can't make them out very easily. I think the third one along is possibly a Bibby Line vessel.
      Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

      Comment


      • #4
        If I only could have fixed my time-travel device and replace the worn parts on it, I would have gone back to a time where I could see the Queen Mary power full speed across the Atlantic.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

        Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

        Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

        Comment


        • #5
          Came across a wonderful album with images of the veteran Queen Mary at Long Beach.... these are fantastic images, make sure you select "Slideshow" and watch all the images full screen.... Very nice photographic record and some interesting images as well.

          PS: Looks like a hole in the lifeboat....

          http://fai-11.smugmug.com/Photograph...4_uyTmZ#P-1-20
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

          Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

          Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pakarang View Post
            If I only could have fixed my time-travel device and replace the worn parts on it, I would have gone back to a time where I could see the Queen Mary power full speed across the Atlantic.
            And if i could find the spare parts for my machine, I would be aboard the Normandie challenging you to a race!
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

            Comment


            • #7
              Nice find. Great pictures.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                PS: Looks like a hole in the lifeboat....
                yep,not only looks a hole ,IT is a hole.
                she don't earn(??) the name of a lifeboat.

                nice pictures,but looks like she need a lot of maintanance,
                it won't harm her.
                but she lie there already some years,wonder how the Rotterdam wil looks after so many years.
                best regards Thijs

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                  yep,not only looks a hole ,IT is a hole.
                  she don't earn(??) the name of a lifeboat.

                  nice pictures,but looks like she need a lot of maintanance,
                  it won't harm her.
                  but she lie there already some years,wonder how the Rotterdam wil looks after so many years.
                  The Queen Mary needs a lot of maintanance, which would cost around $300 Million for a full renovation. The kind of money that is being spent on the SS Rotterdam would certainly help the Queen Mary a great deal. $500 Million might be enough to fully recreate the ship's powertrain and a full restoration of the interiors and equipment to its 1936 configuration.

                  Had Long Beach conducted a business model that was similar to the SS Rotterdam, it would have been a very successful enterpirse than it is at this time. Why did they follow that dreadful business model that called for the removal of the ship's powertain and lower deck space for that ill-fated Aquadic Museum? Such a business plan would have been rejected by most private business organizations at that time because they knew that to follow such a business model would have been financial suicide.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    but it is a hotel and more so there most come money in wat they can spend on her aswel, donations, sponsering,foundation,membership, etc etc.
                    when they give her a fresh paintjob so that the outsite looks better.

                    a total maintanance shall be expenciv ,i know, but the can take several years to do it.
                    but now she is only good looking from a distance,
                    alto it's still a very nice ship.

                    i don't know when they finaly know, how much the renovation would cost for the Rotterdam of they still go on with her.
                    best regards Thijs

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Clearly, QM is in need of maintenance, and at one point in time, she'll have to be closed down and scrapped. Steel doesn't last forever and she is closing up on 100 years. Off course, steel replacement and other things might extend her lifetime.

                      I remember when I was on board her many years ago, I could clearly see the holes in the ships side and bulkheads... completely rusted through, and I remember a tree growing in a life boat and I do remember holes in the boats as well. I also remember some holes in the drains, where you could see the deck below and a rusted hole other bulkheads along her Promenade deck.

                      Nevertheless, she is unique and well worth a visit and preservation. I'm not sure if Los Angeles is the right place for her, but off course, she will never ever be moved from there. That is point they have passed a very long time ago.
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

                      Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

                      Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                        Clearly, QM is in need of maintenance, and at one point in time, she'll have to be closed down and scrapped. Steel doesn't last forever and she is closing up on 100 years. Off course, steel replacement and other things might extend her lifetime.

                        I remember when I was on board her many years ago, I could clearly see the holes in the ships side and bulkheads... completely rusted through, and I remember a tree growing in a life boat and I do remember holes in the boats as well. I also remember some holes in the drains, where you could see the deck below and a rusted hole other bulkheads along her Promenade deck.

                        Nevertheless, she is unique and well worth a visit and preservation. I'm not sure if Los Angeles is the right place for her, but off course, she will never ever be moved from there. That is point they have passed a very long time ago.
                        The ship might be able to move again, provided that the ship's powertrain and lower decks are rebuilt. Second, the ship might have to be stripped down to the bare metal in order to carry out the steel and buckhead renovation, as it was done to the SS Rotterdam. This way, all of the rusted areas could be repaired and the plumbing and electrical systems are replaced. Once the ship's interior structure are repaired and restored, the Queen Mary could be more than stable enough to move to a drydock area for hull and external structual repairs. Afterwards, the area where she resides could be converted to a permanent drydock area, like the SS Great Britain. If the ship is permanently drydocked, the hull would not have go through anymore problems with the water penetrating it.

                        Personally,
                        The reason why the ship is in poor condition is because the vessel was poorly renovated in 1968-1971. Had Long Beach had hired a firm that was know for highend renovation and preservation of hotels and oceanliiners, The Queen Mary would have been in much better condition because the ship would have been maintained throughout the past 43 years in Long Beach. Look at the Maxim Gorkiy for example. That vessel was maintained in excellent condition, inside and outside, because the operator put in a lot of time and expense to keep up to standard. The same could have been possible with the Queen Mary. It is the people who make a ship great. When a ship is not maintained, it falls into decay very quickly.
                        Last edited by redlinekid2; October 3rd, 2009, 10:34.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by redlinekid2 View Post
                          The ship might be able to move again, provided that the ship's powertrain and lower decks are rebuilt. Second, the ship might have to be stripped down to the bare metal in order to carry out the steel and buckhead renovation, as it was done to the SS Rotterdam. This way, all of the rusted areas could be repaired and the plumbing and electrical systems are replaced. Once the ship's interior structure are repaired and restored, the Queen Mary could be more than stable enough to move to a drydock area for hull and external structual repairs. Afterwards, the area where she resides could be converted to a permanent drydock area, like the SS Great Britain. If the ship is permanently drydocked, the hull would not have go through anymore problems with the water penetrating it.
                          Hello,

                          You are dreaming. The hull and all the structure(including the keel) are in so bad shape that you better have to rebuild a replica. When all or most of the power machinery was removed in the 60's (if I recollect well for a Cousteau project), the structure was drastically compromised and the vessel is anymore safe even to go with a pair of tugs to a dry-dock yard, including with heavy hull pumping. So to put inside a new power train and machinery is a joke.

                          Originally posted by redlinekid2 View Post
                          The reason why the ship is in poor condition is because the vessel was poorly renovated in 1968-1971. Had Long Beach had hired a firm that was know for highend renovation and preservation of hotels and oceanliiners, The Queen Mary would have been in much better condition because the ship would have been maintained throughout the past 43 years in Long Beach. Look at the Maxim Gorkiy for example. That vessel was maintained in excellent condition, inside and outside, because the operator put in a lot of time and expense to keep up to standard. The same could have been possible with the Queen Mary. It is the people who make a ship great. When a ship is not maintained, it falls into decay very quickly.
                          The main reason why the ship is in so bad shape is that they have no money at all to provide a proper and continuous overhaul for QM. Because the ship LOOSE A LOT of money ... And a vessel, including with riveted hull has a limited life. But you are right when you states that the transformation in the 60's-70's has compromised her future. It has been criticize, like every Cousteau project (he has destroyed a wonderful theater in Paris)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I can remember being there in 2004 and thinking how the ship had been bastardized (changed) over the years. The upper decks seemed OK but large sections below deck had been hollowed out for haunted ghost tours and laser light shows. Very sad for such a grand lady.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Am I wrong, but I seem to think that the ship was actually resting at the bottom?

                              The thing is, I'm not sure if it was this ship or another one somewhere else...
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

                              Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

                              Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X