X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody know this vessel?

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      A famous old ferry in familiar surroundings, but what is the name?

This one, I have no idea....

Does anybody know this vessel?

... first I thought that it might have been METEOR, but the number of life boats does not seem correct..

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/meteor_1955.htm
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

That car ferry is "Geiranger" built in Trondheim in 1937.
        She is a sad sight today..., as the image from Sondre Mo show us.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          That car ferry is "Geiranger" built in Trondheim in 1937.
          She is a sad sight today..., as the image from Sondre Mo show us.
          From this I would guess she ended her days as a feed barge for a Fishfarm somewhere?

She was around as a ferry for a VERY long time. Does anybody know here history??

Comment

From this I would guess she ended her days as a feed barge for a Fishfarm somewhere?

She was around as a ferry for a VERY long time. Does anybody know here history??
            I found more on her history at this link:

http://www.fjordfaehren.de/no_f/geiranger1937.htm

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Found this ship on EHP's world cruise trip and want to know more about it.

Her name is Mapinduzi, homeport is Zanzibar. Mapinduzi is also the name of a political party in Tanzania. Is anyone able to get more information about her? Looks like a combined freighter / passenger ship, probably a POSTSHIP serving some foreign islands. Do we have some good detectives???

Last edited by Ralf__; May 21st, 2010, 16:37.
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

It was a nice looking vessel though...., if you look at the design.
                This is some info I found from February 2002, and by the looks of the vessel at the pictures in your post, I belive we cane safely say she's still unseaworthy, as said in the small article below:

MV MAPINDUZI, a passenger ship owned by the Zanzibar government, has resumed services between Zanzibar and the Tanzania mainland ports of Tanga, Dar es Salaam, Lindi and Mtwara after a three-year suspension. It was grounded because of mechanical defects.

The vessel underwent a major overhaul and repairs at the African Marine Shipping Yard, a Mombasa dry dock, for four months last year at a cost then of Tsh420 million ($600,000). The Mapinduzi was forced to suspend its services to the mainland in August 2000 after it became unseaworthy.

But you see, the article is from 2002, and in it they say the vessel went to dry dock for four month last year. Does that mean they docked her for repair in 2001....? I can't figure it out, because they say she went unseaworthy in August 2000.
                Belive some more and able detectives than me have to come forward here....;-)
                Last edited by Sterkoder; May 21st, 2010, 15:49.

Comment

The second picture i found in shipspotting.com and it was dated from 2005. Obviously she is carrying passengers here so i suppose they made again a repair, but it helped for a short time. Maybe we can find something about her history... i don't believe she started her career as government ship.
                  Last edited by Ralf__; May 21st, 2010, 16:45.

Comment

Nordenfjeldske ship in Rørvik

Now with last puzzle solved, here is another one. The thing is, I have no idea what the correct answer should be, but it looks like a "Hurtigrute" to me.

The image is from an information board at Rørvik, and the text beneath the image states that it was taken almost 90 years ago, in the 1920's:

A closer look:
                    Hello,
                    I am new to this forum, allthough I have been following it for a while. I believe that I may have some information to share with you from time to time.

Let me start with a comment to the unidentified Nordenfjeldske-steamer in Rørvik. Most of the discussion has been whether it could be the OLAF TRYGVESØN of 1876.

I do not believe it is the OLAF TRYGVESØN. Nordenfjeldske had a lot of steamers in their coastal services along the Norwegian coast, most of them on combined passenger/cargo/mail services and not in the Hurtigruten-service. The ship in the picture is one of their smaller ships, much smaller than the OLAF TRYGVESØN.

I believe she is the S/S KONG EYSTEIN of 1871. She was delivered to NFDS by Trondhjems Mek. Værksted in December 1871 (yard no 19) and was a rather small steamer of 125'1 x 21'5 x 11'6 and 303 grt. The first 5 or 6 years of her life she spent on the coastal services of NFDS as mentioned above. From 1877 she served Nordenfjeldske's and Bergenske's local sevices in Lofoten and Vesterålen until 1894, when these sevices was taken over by Vesteraalens Dampshipsselskab.

In 1894 she was transferred to Nordenfjeldske's and Bergenske's local services in Finmarken (Finnmark County). She was based in Hammerfest and spent most of her time on the so-called Vest-Finmarken-service and the Altenfjord-service.

In 1916 she was sold to the newly established Finmarkens Amtsrederi in Hammerfest, that took over the local services from Nordenfjeldske. She continued trading in the same service as before. In 1922 her name was changed to INGØ. In 1926 her name was modernised to INGØY. She was extensivly modernised and rebuilt during the 1920'ies.

She was tragically lost on 30 January 1942 when she was torpedoed by a Soviet submarine (some sources say she hit a mine that had been laid by a Soviet submarine) near Måsøy on a voyage from Hammerfest to Honningsvåg. 16 crew and passengers were killed and only 7 people were saved in this incident.

What did she do in Rørvik if she was employed in local services in Finnmark?, you may ask. The explanation is simple. Every spring she had to go to a dockyard for a refit and to have her certificates renewed. There were not many dockyards in Northern Norway at this time. Nordenfjeldske had their own repair facilities in Trondheim. So at least once a year she headed south from Hammerfest to Trondheim for her annual refit and north again a few weeks later. I guess that the picture was taken during one of these trips to Trondheim or back to Hammerfest in connection with her annual refit.

I believe the picture is older than from the twenties. In the twenties she had been modernised and had got a yellow (buff) funnel with a black top.

Regards,

Jens Chr
                    Last edited by Jens Chr; May 24th, 2010, 00:22.

Comment

If one looks at the first posted image of this quiz, I also don't belive it's "Olav Trygvasson"..., as I've stated before.
                      So "Kong Eystein" is a good guess as any I would guess.

Anyway, since I have nothing to add to this thread, let me at least say welcome to our forum and may we see more posts from you in the future!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                        The second picture i found in shipspotting.com and it was dated from 2005. Obviously she is carrying passengers here so i suppose they made again a repair, but it helped for a short time. Maybe we can find something about her history... i don't believe she started her career as government ship.
                        Found another article, he it is said, that the ship was running until 2008:

Posted by africanpress on December 19, 2008
                        Reports Leo Odera Omolo
                        The revolutionary government of Zanzibar has put up for sale Mv Mapinduzi, the government owned cargo vessel citing high maintenance and running costs.
                        A recent report on the viability of the vessel found that besides being expensive to run, it is too old and pose a risk to passengers.
                        According to the deputy Minister fro communications Mzee Ali Ussi, the same autonomous government of Zanzibar had asked local maritime exports to evaluate the working conditions of all vessels belonging to the Zanzibar maritime institute and they recommended that Mv Mapinduzi as MV Maendeleo be sold.
                        The two vessels have been undergoing continue maintenance as they are completely dilapidated Mapinduzi makes a regular lose of USD 3,000 per trip to the nearly two island of Pemba and another USD 21,000 lose per trip to Mtwara port on the mainland Tanzania due to the minimal amount of cargo carried.
                        The Isles Communication Minister Othman said the government spent a lot of money on fuel alone, and that there was not enough cargo on these routes to justify the services. Mfered by the vessels.
                        MV Mapinduzi has gross tonnage of 3,999 with dead weight of 1,869 and was built in 1974 in Japan.

Comment

A very warm welcome on board to you Jens Chr.... and thank you so heartfelt for your identification and for sharing your knowledge with us. I think your obserrvations may be very correct and I think somehow you have successfully identified the ship.

Comment

Seeing this vessel, posted by Pakarang a few days ago:

and having written about the MV Slogen in the My Ship(s) thread yesterday reminded me of a ship called "Caltex Kartika".
                            She may have been indirectly responsible for the explosion and fire on the Slogen, since she was put into service to carry Caltex's personnel between Rumbai/Dumai and Singapore, thus making Slogen surplus to requirements.

As far as I remember she was originally used the carry pax and goods in the Trondheim area and looked somewhat like the "Sula", but probably built in the 1950s. I don't know the former name, but I seams to recall it was something with Tronder....???
                            Can anybody recall or identify that vessel???

She was purchased by Caltex in late 1966 or early 1967, modified at TMV and sailed under her own power to Singapore for final conversion for the intended trade on Siak River. I have no idea what happened to her when the Airport in Pakanbaru was opened. She was like a yacht after the conversion.

The Captain was a Norwegian who had earlier sailed a small tanker around Indonesia for Caltex. (Caltex had a number of tankers with Norwegian officers at the time) A few days after the fire on the Slogen he arrived in Rumbai. We were sitting in what was left of the Dining Saloon, when this biiig men came walking in the door with a ice bucket, a bottle of Gin and some Soda in his hands, and said: "I thought you guys may be out of ice"? Nice gesture.

Comment

Instead of "Tronder/ Trønder....", do you think the name could have been something in the way of "Trondheimsfjord" or similar?

Comment

Caltex Kartinka

I have noted that this vessel is the former "Froya" of Fosen Trafikklag.

Built at TMV 1954, and sold 1967.

Picture among the other Fosen vessels here:

http://www.fosna-folket.no/incoming/article607240.ece
                                Last edited by Nichu; May 31st, 2010, 21:28. Reason: added link

Comment

Working...
                                X