Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now with last puzzle solved, here is another one. The thing is, I have no idea what the correct answer should be, but it looks like a "Hurtigrute" to me.

The image is from an information board at Rørvik, and the text beneath the image states that it was taken almost 90 years ago, in the 1920's:

A closer look:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Her funnel markings looks like a Nordenfjeldske ship. I have looked through Dag Bakkas book and can't find a hurtigrute looking like this one...
      ---
      Regards; Sigve.
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---
      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
        Her funnel markings looks like a Nordenfjeldske ship. I have looked through Dag Bakkas book and can't find a hurtigrute looking like this one...
        ---
        Regards; Sigve.
        Exactly what I did as well... It looks like a BDS vessel, but the funnel marking is either VDS or NFDS.

It looks like "Sirius" to me, but she was also a BDS vessel...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

It might look like "Sirius", but it can't be.
          The arrangements in the fore- and aft mast are totally different, there are white and dark coloured areas around that don't match and there are something "wrong" with the hull if you compare the one on the image above and one of "Sirius".
          This quiz is driving me crazy for finding the answer, but I don't have one yet....
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I wonder, and I'm just tossing out an idea here, could this be a cargo vessel only?

Though, as far as I understand, most vessels had passenger capacity, and there are some passenger-looking structures on the aft of the ship, just like a coastal steamer.

I'm pretty convinced that this is a NFDS vessel, but, the date given under the images could also be wrong, despite it being listed as in the 1920's.

Comment

Could it be D/S Olav Trygveson? Belonged to NDSF and did some short stints in Hurtigruten,1916 and 1919-21, but mostly as cargo ship on the coast.
              Last edited by ombugge; May 3rd, 2010, 10:02.

Comment

Anyone able to ID this one?

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...5&postcount=26

Comment

Could it be this one ?:

http://ozhoo.net.au/~strathsisters/orsova/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    Could this be D/S Olav Trygveson? Belonged to NDSF and did some short stints in Hurtigruten,1916 and 1919-21, but mostly as cargo ship on the coast.
                    As good a guess as any, 'ombugge', but I don't belive this is "Olav Trygveson".

Too many lifeboat davits on the bridge deck, strangely placed lifeboat davits in the bow area (på bakken) and a totally different 'bakkskansekledning' (and I don't have any idea what that is called in english).

Nope, have no idea as too which vessel this is yet....

Comment

A shot in the twilight about the vessel at Rørvik.

Could it be the DS Ranen of Helgelandske DS?
                      This company had a green band where NFDS had red, and VDS blue.

Most coasters of the last two mentioned companies had a small round emblem, either side of the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                        As good a guess as any, 'ombugge', but I don't belive this is "Olav Trygveson".

Too many lifeboat davits on the bridge deck, strangely placed lifeboat davits in the bow area (på bakken) and a totally different 'bakkskansekledning' (and I don't have any idea what that is called in english).

Nope, have no idea as too which vessel this is yet....
                        The text under the picture said D/S Olav Trygveson.
                        My post was ment as a reply to post #91 but a vital "it" had fallen out. Should have read; "Could it be D/S Olav Trygveson? Belonged to NDSF and did some short stints in Hurtigruten,1916 and 1919-21, but mostly as cargo ship on the coast.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                          The text under the picture said D/S Olav Trygveson.
                          My post was ment as a reply to post #91 but a vital "it" had fallen out. Should have read; "Could it be D/S Olav Trygveson? Belonged to NDSF and did some short stints in Hurtigruten,1916 and 1919-21, but mostly as cargo ship on the coast.
                          Sorry, my mistake....., THIS (the picture you show us, is "Olav Trygveson" ).
                          What I ment was, the image Jan-Olav posted are not "Olav Trygveson".
                          (I clearly see that my way of writing in my last post could very well be misunderstood).
                          My pointing out of details with the davits and all, was to name the differences in yours and Jan-Olavs pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                            Sorry, my mistake....., THIS (the picture you show us, is "Olav Trygveson" ).
                            What I ment was, the image Jan-Olav posted are not "Olav Trygveson".
                            (I clearly see that my way of writing in my last post could very well be misunderstood).
                            My pointing out of details with the davits and all, was to name the differences in yours and Jan-Olavs pictures.
                            OK a bit "fuzzy" text on both sides in earlier posts.
                            I have printed out and had a closer look at both the picture from Jan-Olav and the one I posted of the Olav Trygveson.

It appears that there are two lifeboats on either side on the first one as well as on the second one. (3 davits only, as the middle davit would be used for both boats)

As for the davits at the bow, they are to hoist and hang the Stock Anchors, which can be clearly seen on the last pics.
                            What appears to be one davit can just barely be made out on the first pics as well. The others may have been removed because the vessel had changed to Stockless anchors at some time between these pictures. (Or just the fuzziness of the first picture)

I can NOT make out the details of the bulwarks at the bow on the unknown vessel, but steamships of that age still carried some sails, as can be seen on the second pics. The "Ball" at the bow staywire is her foresail (Fokke), which may also be the little "hump" at the bow on the unknown vessel.

The Olav Trygveson was apparently used on the Trondheim to Bodoe cargo run and would thus have called at Roervik regularly, I should think.

The vessel behind her in the second picture appears to have the same rigging, but a different funnel marking, so could there have been several "sister ships"? Maybe built at the same yard but not necessarily belonging to the same company?

So I maintain my question; "Could the unknown vessel be D/S Olav Trygveson?

Comment

Originally posted by Nichu View Post
                              looks like her,when i comparing them.
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

A famous old ferry in familiar surroundings, but what is the name?

Comment

Working...
                                X